Super Street Fighter II with Online Coming Westward Too

Posted by Marcel van Duyn

Capcom confirms

Just a little while ago, we posted a story about Japan getting the Mega Drive version of Super Street Fighter II with added online multiplayer.

As the west had not received the previous two online-enabled Virtual Console games (the arcade versions of Puyo Puyo and Puyo Puyo 2), and because of the fact that there haven't been any Virtual Console releases outside Japan for several months period, it was quite easy to assume that this game also wouldn't make it over. But Capcom has now confirmed on its blogs that this is not the case: there is no date yet, but they say that this version of SF2 will in fact make it over and will have the online multiplayer, a first for the Western Virtual Console.

Now let's hope this still happens before 2012; we could use a new Wii Virtual Console game.

[via capcom-unity.com]

Link79

Link79 said:

Say what!? I never saw this coming?
Now don't just tell us you're going to do it Capcom.
Make it happen!
I'll get it just for the chance to have an online enabled retro game.

cheetahman91

cheetahman91 said:

Hopefully this, Double Dragon II and any other games that have been announced or rated recently come real soon. The Wii VC is in desperate shape right now.

sketchturner

sketchturner said:

Amazing!! If this is possible, it makes me dream about Starfox 64, Smash Bros, Mario Kart 64, etc. having online multiplayer.

Late

Late said:

I hope they will add online game to some upcoming 3DS VC games too or at least for 3D classics.

dizzy_boy

dizzy_boy said:

i would have prefered the arcade SSF2 or atleast an update to the snes version, the megadrive version sounds horrible.
i have two questions, will it cost more because of the online mode? and is it possible to have PAL vs NTSC matches?

DrakeStaff

Drake said:

It costs the same price as a regular Mega Drive game in Japan (600 points) so I assume it'll have the standard price of 800 everywhere else.

ocarinaoftime

ocarinaoftime said:

If nintendo espects to sell wii u they better start fixing the wii statues... This is a small small start....im a vc fan an glad too see this come...now we need some cool wii disk games like the three that nintendo wont release over here...

ejamer

ejamer said:

Not sure I care about this particular game release, but it's still exciting news. Hopefully 3DS VC games can take advantage of online play too!

misswliu81

misswliu81 said:

just when i thought the V.C was dead and buried, in comes this news. hopefully, capcom will keep to their word and put super SF2 out. if they cancel it, then well, doubters will continue to doubt cap com again.

Bensei

Bensei said:

Puyo Puyo 2 had online in Japan? I bought it when it was only 500 points in Europe.

DrakeStaff

Drake said:

The Mega Drive version of Puyo Puyo 2 doesn't have online, but Japan also got the arcade version which does.

DarkEdi

DarkEdi said:

What are the differences between MegaDrive (Genesis) and SNES version? I would preffer they launch the Super Turbo arcade port with online.

Omega

Omega said:

I'm not interested in Street Fighter that much. But the fact that the Virtual Console is obviously still alive is a good sign. And I recently asked Nintendo (via E-Mail) about the future of the Wii's Virtual console and they answered, inter alia, "Certainly it will please you, that for the future a variety of other Virtual Console games are planned."

Knux

Knux said:

Wait, we are getting a VC game with online multiplayer in it? I must be dreaming! :O

Yosher

Yosher said:

Too bad it's a game I hardly care for anymore. I got Street Fighter for 3DS too and I barely touched it. It's just not my kind of game. Still good news though! I'm not getting my hopes up, but it'll be neat if there will be more VC games with online support.

WhiteTrashGuy

WhiteTrashGuy said:

I bought this game on the Genesis the day it launched back in the summer of 1994. Got 2 six-button pads as well for my birthday that summer in preparation. The only real difference between this and the SNES version is that the voices are more digitized and the colors are more muted. Still, it's the faster game . . . The turbo is excellent. I still have my hard copy, but I will download this in an instant just for the online play (no Gold Account required). I am so glad I didn't download this when it came out for the SNES VC!!!

IAmChristinaAguilera

IAmChristinaAguilera said:

When the Virtual Console dies, the Wii dies for me. It was kind of like the whole point of the Wii for me.

Why the Genesis version of this? The music is horrible in this version, way worse than Special Champion Edition. Is Sega's go-to emulation specialist (and VC) developer M2 the only company capable of setting online up on the Virtual Console? Could this really not have been done with the arcade version on the VCA instead? Online Street Fighter in any form is nice, but the PS3 and 360 can already do (often better than) arcade perfect online versions of Street Fighters 2, 3, and 4.

I just feel hosed. Doesn't anyone care about giving this hugely-successful console something great to play without halfassing it?

ueI

ueI said:

Has it really been months since we got any vc games? I wasn't keeping track, but this sounds very depressing.

edcomics

edcomics said:

Does this include Turbo? (Pardon my ignorance) Furthermore, does anyone know if the Virtual Console release of Super Street Fighter 2 includes Turbo? Back in the day, I had a copy of SSF2T on PC, of all things, but I don't know how it worked for SNES or other systems. I'm really not interested in the game unless there's Turbo. The regular speed is just a little too slow for me.

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

Better late than never I guess. :D

I might actually download this version since I don't have any of the SF II games on my Wii. I do have Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix on my PS3 though.

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

@16 What about Kirby's Return to Dreamland, TLoZ: Skyward Sword, and Lego Harry Potter: Years 5-7? There are still a few good Wii disc games getting released outside of the Operation Rainfall RPGs.

@37 The Turbo version is also available on the VC (without online play, of course).

Woohoo! Now I'm glad I never got around to downloading any of the SF2 games previously released on VC. On top of that, The New Challengers was the version I was most interested in, as I want the extra characters and don't care for the extreme speed of the Turbo version.

TheAmazingRaccoon

TheAmazingRaccoon said:

I predict it will be America only.

If a virtual console game of any kind was released on a PAL Wii, a really hot place would get really cold.

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

Already have Super Street Fighter II in so many forms, but I'll get this anyway, just because I don't have the Genesis version. :P I don't, however, understand why Capcom won't go ahead and release arcade-perfect versions of SF II, especially when they had several VCA releases earlier this year. 20th anniversary of Street Fighter II, and still no arcade-perfect versions. Oh well, I'm not going to complain, since this is a sign of life for the Wii VC! Might be hard to find online players, when so many are probably playing Super Street Fighter IV: AE, or Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike Online.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

Good for Capcom but would had wish they did this with the Super NES instead. I hate to waste 800 points for the same game just for one feature.

misswliu81

misswliu81 said:

speaking of streetfighter 3: 3rd strike, it would also be nice if either that game or streetfighter alpha 3 came on the V.C after super SF2.

wanderlustwarrior

wanderlustwarrior said:

Really? Huh.

I figured there would probably be another virtual console release before the Wii U launched (not the greatest inspiration of confidence though), but I didn't even know the Wii could have added online for that.

Do the online VC games actually work well?

brooks83

brooks83 said:

I've read that this game had XBand support back in the day, so it actually had online play when it first came out. I already have the SNES version of this game, but I would buy this one for the online play.

Katzii

Katzii said:

Ha, does that mean that the EU is actually going to get a Virtual Console game?

DLightan23

DLightan23 said:

Amazing, simply amazing! I am already dreaming of the hours I could waste playing this online :)

Big_A2

Big_A2 said:

Wait, why are we all happy about buying the same game again with one new feature? This should be DLC that costs 100 points, not 800.