Peter Moore Bigs Up Wii U's Online Functions Again

Posted by James Newton

But won't say what they are

EA's chief operating officer Peter Moore has been a vocal supporter of the Wii U already: back in August he appeared totally confident in the console's online features, and in a recent interview with Famitsu he reaffirmed this commitment with some glowing words.

Most intriguing are the hints at the Wii U's online capabilities: although Moore couldn't reveal specifics, we know he recently paid a visit to Nintendo HQ, and you can be certain that online features were part of the discussion. Here's what he said to Famitsu:

It’s a very exciting machine and I’m glad to see it out there. I mean, a hi-def Nintendo platform! There’s nothing that could make me happier. Its online capabilities are really extensive, too, so we’ll be able to differentiate ourselves from the competition more easily with our sports lineup. We can’t announce anything yet, but what I can say is that Nintendo is a company that’s been producing new types of play culture for years. The 3DS and Wii U have taken on that DNA, so I really can’t wait to see what kind of new surprises are waiting for us.

It's interesting that Moore specifically cites the console's online functions as a way in which EA can separate itself from other formats. What will Wii U do that Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 don't? We can't wait to find out.

[via cubed3.com]

SpaceKappa

SpaceKappa said:

I wonder if this is a subtle way of saying Nintendo opted to make Origin, rather than Steam, part of its online plan?

Either way, considering all of the glowing talk from big industry names and the confidence they seem to have in the machine it's going to be a knockout.

SLiM

SLiM said:

A Nintendo console with extensive online capabilities? I'm really excited to see what's in store for the Wii U.

AbuJaffer

AbuJaffer said:

I really hope this console will be the first to offer cross-platform play, as in SteamPlay, but between the 3DS/WiiU/Possibly other platforms such as PC or PS3. Heck, why NOT use SteamPlay?

Either way, all I'm asking for is to take a step in Sony's direction and offer the same online experience between the 3DS/Wii U.

NX01Trekkie1992

NX01Trekkie1992 said:

this is good to hear, regardless of what's powering the WiiU online, it's got potential, so I'm glad to hear it

camurso_

camurso_ said:

After lauching FIFA12 without any online, can you believe a word he says?

ShellyDeKiller

ShellyDeKiller said:

After all the problems that Origin has caused, I'm not sure I could support a Nintendo console which relies heavily on EA's online capabilities. :(

Rapadash6

Rapadash6 said:

I'm not huge into online gaming but it would be nice to hear people stop complaining about how behind Nintendo is in this arena. I'll be getting a Wii U no matter what because I love Nintendo's software, but to have a system on the same level, support wise, as the SNES where Nintendo and third parties are putting forth there best efforts is something I'd really like to see again. If Wii U can't do it then I think it's safe to say Nintendo will never achieve that perfect balance again, sadly.

FOREST_RANGER

FOREST_RANGER said:

I agree with ShellyDeKiller. I wouldn't want Nintendo to use any of EA's servers. If they want online help, I'd rather they go with Steam.

Swiket

Swiket said:

@Rapadash6 If by "complaining" you mean "reasonable arguments", then maybe.

"I'll be getting a Wii U no matter what"

Well, at least you're unbiased.

MegaAdam

MegaAdam said:

I'm thinking the Wii U will somehow allow Origin, and this is why EA is so happy with the online service.

Arcanum

Arcanum said:

Hmmmm....I'd say something about this, but I have no idea what this all actually means.

BenAV

BenAV said:

@Arcanum Yeah, I think it's all to vague at this stage for anyone to comment too much on it.
We'll just have to wait and see how things play out over the next year I guess.

C7_

C7_ said:

Please say this doesn't mean Origin, it's a cheap ripoff of Steam and this sort of competition does not bode well for Consumers.

On top of that, Steam is much more popular and linking that would drastically help WiiU way better than Origin.

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

@3
Agreed. I don't know why, but it's like Nintendo treats their handheld market and console market differently. This is fine to some extent (don't want the exact same console games scaled down for handhelds afterall) but things like interconnectivety really need a bigger push.

Skotski

Skotski said:

@Swiket
You have to realize that there were those that had no problems with Wii's online service.
Having the "reasonable arguments" escalate to the point to where Wii lovers were seen as rabid fanboys just because they enjoyed what it offered pretty much gives anyone good reason to be happy for arguments to be settled... (hopefully, that is)

NINTENBOY

NINTENBOY said:

All this positive attention for the WiiU from EA is great but don't be fooled it's all a conspiracy I tell you!! EA is only being super nice to Nintendo so they could push Nintendo to put Orgin on WiiU so that when WiiU does come out they can steal all of our private infornation and RULE THE WORLD AHHHHH!! Don't do it Nintendo go with Steam atleast that one isn't rule by an evil dictatorship company or at least let us choose between the two PLZ!!

shingi_70

shingi_70 said:

@NINTENDONOY

You do realzie steam isn't secure and also takes your info. They just got hacked last week and that credit card information stolen.

Urbanhispanic

Urbanhispanic said:

I'll remain being cautiously optimistic. While it would really surprise everyone if their online setup and capabilities have more in common with what you see with PSN and Xbox Live, an overhaul to their current online setup would be a welcome change. It doesn't have or rival the other consoles' setups but what I see is possible from the 3DS, they can definitely expand it for Wii U appropriately.

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

@17: Well, shouldn't a home console and a handheld market be treated differently? Seems to me this is why they've had such success, where Sony failed to deliver with PSP. They treated it like a scaled down PS2, whereas Nintendo has somehow spent two decades in front selling underwhelming hardware, technologically speaking, because they understand what people need/want in the portable space.

Kagamine

Kagamine said:

comments about ea's origin seem really negative, what wrong with it? ive never heard anything bad about before

JimLad

JimLad said:

If it's even half as good as Xbox live, I will eat my hat. (I'd have to go buy one first) I honestly don't see that happening.
EA on the other hand could get a lot out of it with Nation. It's just a shame I'm not interested in most of their games.

PuppetMasterIX

PuppetMasterIX said:

@bossmark
The main problem people have with Origin is that it's quickly built a reputation of being "commercialized spyware". The service allegedly scans your computer data and surveys your activity. That alone is enough to not like it.

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

@22
I was actually referencing Nintendo's inconsistency with their platforms in general.

Example: Wii has a messaging system, 3DS doesn't. Wii allows you to buy downloads for friends, 3DS doesn't. Previous platforms had it where you could trade photos either wirelessly (DSi) or online(Wii), the 3DS...well you get the idea.

Just want a bit more consistency between their consoles/portables, that's all.

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

I only hope it doesn't mean EA will be given a big advantage on the WiiU. Every dev should be presented with the same possibilities. :)

Nintendoro

Nintendoro said:

What ever Wii U will be, I just hope it'll come with HDD. Enough of memory cards already. It'll be 2012 for God sake!

Maggots

Maggots said:

Wii U is already compatible with USB HDDs... it's officially announced at E3

lex0plex

lex0plex said:

All I got to say is... Steam on the Wii U would be terrific!

It would never happen though, I know.

SpaceKappa

SpaceKappa said:

@WarthoggerPete About a week or so ago, lots of sites were reporting a rumor that Valve and EA were both attempting to woo Nintendo into integrating their respective digital distribution platforms into Wii U's online functionality. It just struck me as fishy when a few days later the CEO of EA comes out praising Wii U's online plans.