Hideki Konno Talks Mario Kart Wii U Ideas

Posted by James Newton

It'll be "unique"

Hold onto your hats: Nintendo is investigating bringing Mario Kart to Wii U.

Series producer Hideki Konno spoke to Nintendo Power recently about the potential for the flagship multiplayer racer to come to Nintendo's next home console, saying:

I can't get into specifics, but I do want to create a new and enjoyable Mario Kart that uses the unique functions of the Wii U. Anything beyond that I have to keep secret. Please bear with me for now.

How a living room Mario Kart title would work if only one player had the Wii U's new controller is one of the hurdles Nintendo will have to leap to convince everyone that Wii U is the next thing in gaming, though with Nintendo working on two controller support this could be considerably easier.

We're now taking bets on Mario Kart Wii U being revealed at E3 2012. Good odds.

[via officialnintendomagazine.co.uk]

GameLord08

GameLord08 said:

Well, this will certainly grab people on to the Wii U radar. I wonder what sort of features we should expect...

Jono97

Jono97 said:

I had a great idea, until it stated that only one person can hold the WII U controller(despite the 2 wii U post before)... and now, I can't think of any ideas...

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

A Mario Kart on Wii U is about as inevitable as a new Super Mario and Zelda coming on the Wii U, but I have no doubt that Nintendo and Konno will think up some very interesting ideas for next time. The large amount of players in particular could be an opportunity, not to mention what advantages the Wii U controller might have over the Wii ones. And it will be the first time Mario Kart will be dazzled in glorious HD! Imagine how neat Bowser's Castle, Rainbow Road, and the retro tracks would look!

Infernapeking

Infernapeking said:

KEEP UNDERWATER and GLIDE in and give us more awesome custom karts parts and possible Track Builder with UPad will be epic easy.
Also 2 UPad or 4 UPad i vs mode is awesome as well because
On your Upad you only sees what Item You have not anyone else.
No one knows you item because Split Screen

StephenYap3

StephenYap3 said:

Not part of the topic here, but Namco could bring Pac-Man VS to the Wii U. This is just my idea. As for Mario Kart...er...I have no idea how the Tablet would fit in.

NintenHero

NintenHero said:

Nintendo will find a way, as usual. They're cool like that. Can't wait for E3 2012 :3

Luffymcduck

Luffymcduck said:

If it doesn´t have a track editor I´ll laugh. What else could you do with a tablet controller in Mario Kart?

Adam

Adam said:

The only way I could see taking advantage of its unique features without making single-player totally different from multi-player would be if they can do 5 or 6 players, but is the Wii U capable of doing 4P split screen AND sending out another split screen to the controller?

They could always go back to Double Dash to avoid having too many screens. The person with the tablet could be in charge of an inventory of items on his screen, or perhaps just use it for aiming his items backwards. Maybe when you switch seats the tablet player could continue to drive on his screen instead of the TV, and the Wii remote player could point his items at the TV. There are possibilities here, and any excuse to make it more like Double Dash than MKW is a good one.

timp29

timp29 said:

On single player, I hope you have to use the Upad to physically aim your items, obviously this would probably fail in multiplyer.

I can't help but think about the feature where the Upad screen can zoom in on the picture on the TV, and how good this would be on a flight sim.

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

I hope Nintendo find a way for the Wii U to work with multiple Wii U controllers so that everyone can have the same experience with great multi-player games like Mario kart. Although there are some games that woule work well with less people having a Wii U controller like that demo with the Mario mii and the toad miis at e3.

komicturtle

komicturtle said:

Yes! Double Dash plz. Or even having the option of having 2 people in one Kart or just solo. Maybe then, they'd bring characters from Warioware to fill slots. And plz, let's get a Paper Mario character like Goombario or even Flurry and Vivian. They don't need to be in Paper Form anyways.

Oh, and King K. Rool too.

Nin-freak

Nin-freak said:

Oh come on, I wanna have fun with Mario Kart 7 first before the next one comes out :?

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

E3 2012 is gonna be insane.
I just hope they do more with Kart's visuals (and other big franchises) than put a glossy HD sheen on the graphics. New Super Mario Mii looked crisp, sure, but it's barely distinguishable from the Wii version. The Zelda demo is a good sign, but I hope they take the same amount of effort with their more cartoony games... or even <<gasp>> give Kart a visual overhaul? That would be crazy. Probably not gonna happen. But would love to see any of the Mario games in a new light, like how they switch up Zelda's presentation.

dizzy_boy

dizzy_boy said:

LAN would be cool if you could get a good signal for atleast the distance of 3 houses either direction.
also, the cost of buying 4 wiimotes is gonna be pretty high, so i would hope most people keep hold of their spare wiimotes and accessories if they trade in their wii`s for wii u`s.

Rapadash6

Rapadash6 said:

I wonder if Nintendo is trying to have Mario Kart ready for launch? Honestly, I can't think of a better game to do so, considering how well Mario Kart Wii did this this last generation.

AVahne

AVahne said:

Hm, I'm liking that the Wii U controller is so big more and more now. It's big enough to hold as a wheel XD

DarkLloyd

DarkLloyd said:

@20

i think they'll announce it there and release it in march or april or was it may of 2013 i only say this because i remeber getting the mario kart wii around that time

this way it will give mario kart 7 at least a bit over a year to be on shelves and before some switch over to that version from the 3DS etc etc

gamecubefan

gamecubefan said:

hope they focus more on one player games like pikmin, mario, obvious advantage of zelda maps and item selection in your hands and stuff.

darklinkinfinite

darklinkinfinite said:

Six players per console! Two players on Wii U controllers, playing on their own screens, and four more players split screen on the tv.

Just you wait!

JimLad

JimLad said:

Some really good ideas here, the one I want to see most is the extra players option depending on how many WiiU controllers you have, but I think that is also the least likely one to happen. Having a rear view mirror on the controller screen would be handy too.

motang

motang said:

Wouldn't the player with the tablet controller have a competitive advantage?

boob

boob said:

I don't see anything wrong with having one Wii u controller then any combination of Wii controllers, what about 3ds come on ninty.
Online maybe where the extra specialness lies. Leagues, cup comps etc. The amount of players increased. Being able to choose a track rather than vote.

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

Wii-U will feature an all out demolition battle mode online featuring 32-player simultaneous action, carts bombarding each other with items en-masse. 32-player wifi match races will also be available. Oh, and Blue Spiney shells will also have a blast radius 10 times the normal size. The explosion will knock your cart back like a miniature nuclear blast, and most likely Likatu will have to place your kart back on the track for you! :O

TheN64Dude

TheN64Dude said:

E3 2012 My Ass! They just got done with 7! You think they're gonna start development right after 7!? Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of making the game?

Toadisepic12399

Toadisepic12399 said:

I think they should bring back the gliders and stuff like that from Mario Kart 7. I thought that was fun (look, I don't actually have a 3DS, but I have seen the videos on YouTube!). I also think they should bring back Diddy Kong, Funky Kong, Pete the Pirahna, King Boo, Toadette, Baby Peach, Baby Daisy, Birdo, ParaTroopa, Dry Bowser, R.O.B, and Dry Bones. I liked these people, they added that something! ^-^

Toadisepic12399

Toadisepic12399 said:

I HAVE AN IDEA!!!!!!! THEY SHOULD TOTALLY HAVE A COMMERCIAL WITH MARIO IN SHADES DRIVING HIS GO- KART AND THEN BE SINGING GANGNAM STYLE! THEN, PSY COMES UP AND SAYS: MARIO KART U: BUY IT! HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT WOULD BE EPIC!!!!!!!!!!