Skyrim on Wii U a "Definite Possibility" Says Bethesda

Posted by James Newton

A long road ahead, though

Wii owners missed out on a huge number of high-profile high definition games, but with Wii U around the corner everybody's hoping history won't repeat itself and the console will see the same kind of experience that are available on other formats. One such game many Nintendo fans would love to play is The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, heading to other formats in November this year.

Official Nintendo Magazine recently interviewed Bethesda's Pete Hines and naturally enquired about the chance of seeing Skyrim on Wii U

It's definitely a possibility for the future. We'll look at any platform that will support that games we're trying to make, but that's the key thing - the console has to support the game as it is designed.

Hines was quick to quell any mouth-foaming though, outlining the lengthy process in converting a game the size of Skyrim:

Just doing 360, PS3 and PC - I don't think people understand the amount of work that goes into that. All of the localisation you have to do... all of the testing you have to do... on every platform in every language... It's a pretty huge undertaking.

Translation: don't hold your breath, but do cross your fingers.

[via officialnintendomagazine.co.uk]

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

Good for Bethesda. I think most of their games suck though, and I doubt Skyrim will be an exception.

Xkhaoz

Xkhaoz said:

Great to see such a high profile publisher supporting Wii U. Skyrim would probably help with sales.

pikku

pikku said:

That sounds awesome.
Better be a launch title though, seeing how it will have been out at about a year before the Wii U.

daznsaz

daznsaz said:

i played one of the scrolls games on my laptop.didnt get to far couldnt click with it.a good rpg would be ones like gothic 3 and risen

Mikau94

Mikau94 said:

That would be amazing, that would defiantly help the system sales, I would love to Bethesda jump on board with Nintendo and make some amazing games.

MasterGraveheart

MasterGraveheart said:

Bethesda should really develop for the Wii U. Expanding the console gaming market can only be a good thing.

TKOWL

TKOWL said:

Yes, yes, yes. I'm tired of being left out on all of the fun.

DarkLloyd

DarkLloyd said:

well ifi had the Wii U now and this game hasnt come out yet id buy it for the wii u as i will always do when i switch to multiplatform buying from my ps3 to the wii u

alas it will be for my ps3 now :P

TheChosen

TheChosen said:

Whether or not you're planning to buy this (or what you think of Bethesda) I'd love to just see this available on Wii U. That would be a good step towards better third party for the system.

darkgamer001

darkgamer001 said:

You know, I'm gonna hold off buying the PS3 version of Skyrim and wait for more news on this (yeah, I know it sounds crazy, but...). Besides, Xenoblade, Skyward Sword, all the awesome 3DS games that are gonna be released in the holiday period, not to mention The Last Story and Pandora's Tower (if they are released early in 2012) should be more than enough until I wait for the launch of the WiiU...fingers crossed on this one

shoopdawoop70

shoopdawoop70 said:

this would be great. finally, a big name game not only for ps3, xbox, and pc. i feel left out. BUT NOT ANYMORE

phoenix1818

phoenix1818 said:

Sounds kind of unlikely from the interview, but it could happen. I will be getting Skyrim on PC regardless, but it's good to see 3rd party developers support for Wii U.

@SMEXIZELDAMAN Have you ever even played an Elder Scrolls game, or are you just another troll? I like both series and am looking forward to the coming releases, so you don't have to choose one over another.

Mandoble

Mandoble said:

Well, for me any Bethesda production is gold. But all of them have been designed for PC, including Skyrim. In consoles the graphic quality is way worse and the controls are terrible. A port to WiiU would not be diffrent.

bub166

bub166 said:

I'm looking forward to this game even more than Skyward Sword. This is amazing... I already have an XBOX though, and I will buy it on that. If enough is different, though... One can never tell for sure.

Bankai

Bankai said:

Hate to burst everyone's bubble, but how many games for Nintendo consoles have Bethesda produced so far?

Saying "It would be cool," is hardly confirming support.

OldBoy

OldBoy said:

Oh great.So I can get the game a whole year later.Errr no thanks. Will be getting this on release day for ma 360. Oh yeah!!

Frodo87

Frodo87 said:

Nice to have a huge game coming to WiiU even if it is months after its release. I just hope they don't charge more than the other console versions at the time. What I mean by that is if the game is selling for 29.99 on xbox 360 (at the time of WiiU getting the game) it better not cost 59.99 for WiiU...

Kage_88

Kage_88 said:

"Hines was quick to quell any mouth-foaming..."

Too late! wipes mouth

Skyrim looks incredible; maybe we can get a port for Wii U's launch, Bethesda? Pretty please? People may say the title's appearance is unlikely, but did you think games like Darksiders II, Arkham City, DiRT, Ghost Recon, Aliens: Colonial Marines, and Ninja Gaiden 3 would appear on a Ninendo console. Hell, even Battlefield 3 is very likely to appear!

@expa0 - Errr, what?

@WaltzElf - I don't think anyone is under the illusion that Skyrim is confirmed for Wii U - but it's easy to get one's hopes up when Bethesda says a Wii U version is a "Definite possibility".

jerryo

jerryo said:

unless it includes all DLCs i really do not care. also if it is NOT as good as the PC version with DX11 then i do not care either.

nintygaming

nintygaming said:

I could care less about Skyrim.

What I'm more concerned about, and what EVERYONE should be wishing for, is for the Wii-U to be the SECOND COMING of the SNES.

Is such a thing possible? Maybe (if Square-Enix becomes as great as they were in 1995). However, such is a dream only. Its all up to Nintendo.

Expa0

Expa0 said:

Squaresoft and Enix have both sucked since they fused. Squeenix is a lost hope, if you want good modern JRPGs you should look into Atlus.

The_Fox

The_Fox said:

Skyrim on the Wii U would be sweet, but there's no way I can wait for it to hit the system (if it does at all). I'll have to pick up the 360 version.

Big_Gamer

Big_Gamer said:

Would be cool but bethesda games have to be played on PC since these games absolutely need to be modable

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

I would pick it up day one! I just don't have the time for games like this anymore but this series has definitely drawn me in.

erv

erv said:

Prey 2 seems more like the stuff I'd want, but time will tell. WiiU is definitely more capable, so I think many developers will want to find a way to get on it. If the system is friendly towards third party tools for building games, this might be the generation where nintendo does get everything.

Henmii

Henmii said:

"the console has to support the game as it is designed"

And there's the problem: The controller! Sure it is cool that Nintendo tries again a new controller with new possibilities, but it also forces developers to do something with those features. And not always will they be in the mood to do something with those features. And in some cases it may not enhance the experience at all. But they have to use those features (well, maybe not all. But a good number of developers must), otherwise it would just be strange.

To put it shortly: The controller forms a barrier! Yes, it has enough buttons. Yes, the console is possibly strong enoug (graphics wise). It's just a pity about the screen (from a developers point of view). I fear that because of this controller many developers won't go the extra mile to bring it to Wii u, but only time will tell!

Faruko

Faruko said:

its great news !!! and 1 year more in develop would be really good to Bethesda game, because everyone knows how buggy/glitchy their games are, and how many patches those games need before Bethesda games are actually "Playable" (let alone "play great" or dont get a corrupt save file)... Just like Fallout3, New vegas, ill buy Skyrim a few months (6 or so) aftter release to get a stable version, so waiting for the WiiU version its a great thing

Kage_88

Kage_88 said:

@Henmii - But that's the point of the Wii U controller; it allows developers to make more traditional games as well as new and innovative projects. You said it yourself - it has enough buttons, so there is no reason why Bethesda cannot put Skyrim on the machine (which, by the way IS more powerful than the PS3 and Xbox 360). No one will force them to use the touchscreen, or any other of the controller's features. They can do whatever they want (again, which is the point of the Wii U)!

@Faruko - Obsidian made Fallout: New Vegas; and their products are WAY more buggy than Bethesda's (see KOTOR II and Alpha Protocol)

@expa0 - Dragon Quest VIII & IX, Star Ocean: Till the End of Time, Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime, Kingdom Hearts II, Final Fantasy XII, Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings, Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions, Mario Slam Basketball, Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker all say hi!

motang

motang said:

I just hope this is true, and not some developer spouting out stuff for a new platform.

AceSpadeS

AceSpadeS said:

Even if this is just a pipe dream, I'd love to see how they use the Wii U's unique features to enhance the experience. I own Morrowind GOTY version for my Xbox (Elder Scrolls 3) and absolutely love it, and having any open world/ended RPG even close to that would be a huge bonus for Nintendo and the fans. Hope I don't pass out from the breath holding though.

Faruko

Faruko said:

@Kage_88 aaaah yeah... and all those elder scrolls were soooo out of bugs, those were perfect the day released... Fallout 3 was the same, Elder Scrolls 3/4 too...

and Fallout New Vegas was buggier, but was WAAAY better than Fallout 3, wich as a fallout the only thing that it had was the name

vherub

vherub said:

skyrim goty of the year could be one of the greatest 3rd party launch titles for a nintendo system

daznsaz

daznsaz said:

an rpg like gothic 3 or risen.if someone at nintendo could make an rpg like that.it would be most appreciated.or a 3rd party

Kage_88

Kage_88 said:

@Faruko - I never said Bethesda's games were DEVOID of bugs - they just aren't as bad as Obsidian's. Also, the presence of bugs does not equal actual creative quality of a game.

It may have been buggier, but New Vegas' writing, missions, gameplay ideas, etc. WERE much better than Fallout 3's.

PK_Wonder

PK_Wonder said:

@originaljohn

If we get it, that would be a logical moment to release it. Skyrim for Wii U in any form will be a first-day buy for me. I'm holding off on getting it for any other system for a few months in hopes of some sort of announcement for Wii U. This is by far my most anticipated title not currently confirmed for a Nintendo system.

JarredBuzzo

JarredBuzzo said:

I would love to play Skyrim on Wii U. I'm not buying Arkham City on 360 or PS3 because it will be released for the next Gen Nintendo console...

Rockman

Rockman said:

Loved the Fallout 3 franchises.. trailer looks very promising. Looking forward to this title! :D

Sir_Deadly

Sir_Deadly said:

I think developers need to develop games that will be released around the same time Wii U is released soo that gives Nintendo fans a chance to buy on Nintendo before they go running out to buy a console for that game they want to play that isnt on the Wii.

MKG098

MKG098 said:

That would be amazing! My brother bought a PS3 and bought Oblivion and Skyrim. Those 2 games are just amazing with basically having no end to them. I felt sad for the games that came out for the Wii as they had not many good qualities but of course they were exceptions like Mario kart and the super Mario galaxy games. Now that the Wii U will be more powerful all of that will change as better 3rd party developers partner up with Nintendo. I really hope Skyrim comes out for Wii U :D