Nintendo Download: 8th September 2011 (North America)

Posted by James Newton

Another mixed bag

You know the drill by now: today's Nintendo Download spans the good, the not-so-good and the downright baffling. Here's what's available for you today.

3DS Virtual Console

Golf (Game Boy, Nintendo, $2.99) — Take to the links in this simple take on a good walk spoiled. Whether it's a better golf game than free Ambassador game NES Open Tournament Golf is a matter for our review to settle.

WiiWare

Paint Splash (KnapNok Games, 500pts) — A multiplayer art game that, in an unexpected twist, lets you save your creations to SD card after completion. Paint Splash started life as a homebrew application called Kidspaint that amassed over 50,000 free downloads: time will tell if it can repeat the feat now it's a paid download.

WiiWare Demo

Liight (Studio Walljump, full version: 500pts) — Get a taste of what it's like to blend coloured lights in a puzzle context with a free demo. The full game is actually very good, as our Liight review explains.

DSiWare

DotMan (Agetec Inc., 200pts) — The latest game from Silver Star Japan comes to North America courtesy of Agetec. Essentially a revamped version of Atari 2600 game Dodge 'Em, we got hands-on with the Japanese version of the game last year, so check out our First Impressions: DotMan while waiting for our review.

Puzzle Rocks (Cinemax, 500pts) — There's always room for another puzzle game on DSiWare, and this effort comes from Rytmik producer Cinemax. It's a decent title as our Puzzle Rocks review explains.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

No Adventure Island II? I am surprised. Cue less frequent Wii VC releases in America.

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

This update looks much better than the one we got in Europe as Dotman looks pretty good but Agetec never release their games in Europe and even though it doesn't interest me, Golf looks like a good game and it looks much better than any of the downloads we got this week.

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

Paint Splash looks pretty solid for 5 bucks. Unfortunately when I heard Nicalis had a surprise coming today, I was hoping Night Sky was already submitted and Nintendo would release it today. That's what I get for high expectations. :(

MrDanger88

MrDanger88 said:

I really don't know what I was expecting these updates are utter trash 95% of the time.

Link79

Link79 said:

Well I guess America's update has now turned into Europe's.
Neither of us are getting Wii VC games anymore.
They could've given us something.
Adventure Island 2, Lufia, Monster world IV translated, Mega man X2 or even Strider.
Instead we get the old two finger salute. :(

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

I think Nintendo is wrapping up things on the Wii VC:( Its a shame I find that PSN is offering way more retro content lately than Nintendo is.

Link79

Link79 said:

@ Heavy_barrel
My guess is they plan on finishing out the year with the 10 remaining VC games on the coming soon list. Some may carry over into early next year and after that Wii VC will officially die just in time for Wii U's release.

arcnas

arcnas said:

at least we know a quality title from red lynx will be in next weeks update just a shame its 1500 pts.

LordAndrew

LordAndrew said:

Ah, Kidspaint!

And Golf as the only Virtual Console game when I already have two golf games on the 3DS. That is annoying.

WertyYertrew

WertyYertrew said:

No sign of any ambassador games either... why does Nintendo always feel the need to drag things out for so long when it comes to online?

mire

mire said:

@WertyYertrew: I wonder the same thing about every current platform owner. Sony and MS took ages to release a significant back catalog. I really don't understand the thinking behind it. I only got a Wii recently, and I've been buying a ton of VC content (yeah yeah, lame duck console, don't care). Do they think people who want these games won't buy them if they're all available on day 1? I'm sure there are some licensing issues they have to deal with when releasing third party content, but come on!

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

I'm surprised people haven't grasped the reasoning for Golf coming to the VC. Regardless of quality, publishers these days seem to be usually going through their back catalog roughly in chronological order they were originally released. Sure there are later choice games here and there like Zelda and Donkey Kong but we're currently during the first releases of the Game Boy. We'll probably see Solar Striker at some point soon.

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

Oh c'mon! Another golf game? Do they honestly believe we love golf that much? This weeks release sucked, blah blah bleh.

On a different note, can't wait to see what they release next Thursday.
Intently refreshes NL page until Thursday

Knux

Knux said:

Oh Nintendo, thank you for releasing the best game ever made on the VC...Golf! Now my life will be complete forever! :O

J-Forest-Esq

J-Forest-Esq said:

I'm worried you're going to run out of ways to express how consistently average these releases are.

cheetahman91

cheetahman91 said:

Where's Adventure Island II? What a joke NOA. Could've at least followed the pattern until that one.

bboy2970

bboy2970 said:

Is it strange that I'm considering a purchase on Golf (super original title BTW)? I just played a...version of it to try it out and I didn't think it was too bad. Quite advanced for Gameboy actually. I'm just having trouble justifying it when I already have Let's Golf 3D....Anyone who really likes the game wanna try and push me over the edge?

Supremeist

Supremeist said:

Well that's a slight disappointment. I have Let's Golf 3D and NES Open Tournament which is much better than this. So no more golf games for me.

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

At least your update has more than two games and actually has some decent games unlike ours. We got two games and neither of them is a good game.

ToxieDogg

ToxieDogg said:

Nintendo's logic:- "Wow, everybody loved that FREE download of NES Open Tournament Golf last week so much that they'll be literally queuing up this week to buy an inferior Gameboy version with black & white graphics!'

Or maybe not :p I might get Dotman for only 200pts if and when it's available in Europe and if it gets a half decent review

DarkEdi

DarkEdi said:

A lame week. For 3ds we had a bad VC game. For wii no VC. For wiiware only a game. And dsi had only 2 games. It is getting worse each week. Nintendo doesn´t like to support the online stores. The PSN and Live won the DL war.

grumblegrumble

grumblegrumble said:

@DarkEdi I totally do not agree. GOLF has been a great game, so far. Got it this morning. Loving it ;) Also, we just got our free ambassador game downloads so people need to calm down a little. Geesh! What more could u want? I have a feeling some people will just never be happy no matter what. It's all what you make of it.

LordJumpMad

LordJumpMad said:

Really Nintendo? Really?
A NES Golf game in 3D? after giving us a free NES Golf game already!
Once again, NintenDerp does it again..

vikingscool

vikingscool said:

Where is Adventure Island II? Please bring it on for North America, please. We've waiting since April that Europe have it.

Henmii

Henmii said:

I really don't understand why there is still almost none 3ds-ware! DSi-ware is still coming out every week. DSi-owners will hate me for this, but I'll say it: "Developers, isn't it time to abandon DSi-ware and go for 3DS-ware instead?"

How do you convince people to buy a 3DS when things go like this?

kitroplious

kitroplious said:

Good download update for us even though not all games will suit everyones taste (I'm with Bass on this).

I purchased DotMan on Nintendo eShop today and its pretty fun. As for the 3DS VC, there is already a great selection of classics and I'm very thankful. Looking forward to playing Catrap soon! :)

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

Hate Golf, as much as the Game Boy version is concern, the free NES ones is ten times better. I probably just wait until the day Nintendo put the GBA version of Mario Golf: Advance Tour on 3DS VC.

brooks83

brooks83 said:

I could be wrong, but I think we got Adventure Island II about a month ago. I'm pretty sure we got all the Hudson and Jaleco games now that Europe got. Still, it's dissapointing to not see a new Wii VC game today.