Looks Like There's No Sale on Sonic Games This Week

Posted by James Newton

Hardly the birthday gift he wanted

Thursday marks the 20th anniversary of Sonic the Hedgehog, but it looks like Virtual Console owners won't be able to grab a cheaper piece of gaming history.

SEGA's announced that it will be reducing prices on the hedgehog's games on Xbox Live Arcade and PlayStation Network to celebrate his birthday, but there's no such price cut announced for WiiWare or Virtual Console.

This is hardly surprising news as Nintendo's download stores rarely offer price cuts, but back in 2009 SEGA knocked 40% off select Virtual Console games over the Christmas period.

As the Nintendo Download is now out on Thursday there's still a possibility of some hedgehog-related download shenanigans, so stay tuned.

LeasTwanteD

LeasTwanteD said:

This would feel bad for us N - only gamers.
At least they should give us one game for the 3DS' VC. Don't know if all currently possible Sonic games are already out on the Wii's VC.

DiggerandIndy

DiggerandIndy said:

Maybe it's because everyone's losing faith in the hedgehog. Sega kept bungling with his adventures so much that everyone got sick of it.

Omega

Omega said:

...back in 2009 SEGA knocked 40% off select Virtual Console games over the Christmas period.
Oh, yes. I remember that. And I remember that I totally missed this opportunity. :-(

irken004

irken004 said:

I already have all the Sonic games I want on the VC, so I'd hope they would bring something new for Sonic to it.

pixelman

pixelman said:

Thursday is his birthday? Nintendo Download day? I'd say they'll probably release the Game Gear Sonic games on the VCH. :3

TKOWL

TKOWL said:

Maybe SEGA is replicating their anti-Nintendo past...

Hardy83

Hardy83 said:

Oh right, I totally forgot about this negative aspect of Nintendo's digital store. They NEVER has sales.
The Sega one is the only one I'm aware of, and I bet, since they aren't doing it a second time, it was a pain in the rear to do.

Pod

Pod said:

Oh there was a sale alright!

...to me, of the Limited Edition Sonic Colors, with the figurine (which is admittedly kinda crappy,) for just 100kr. (~10€)

They've been sitting on the shelf since release. I think people didn't know they also got the game with the figurine, so it's just been continuously marked down.

turtlelink

turtlelink said:

As long I as PSN gets a Sonic Sale and we get something on the 3DS VC I'll be fine.

Ryno

Ryno said:

@Dragoon 21 Jun 2011, 16:11 BST
"First, no Sonic Generations on Wii, which I'm truly sure the Wii could handle. Next, SEGA decides to NOT give us the discount?
Maybe SEGA is replicating their anti-Nintendo past"

It is not Sega, it is Nintendo. They never offer/allow discounts like Sony (PSN) and Microsoft (Xbox Live). Learn that Nintendo does not like to discount and you will be not be dissapointed ever again.

626b

626b said:

I have Sonic CLassic Collection. Stop giving us the same old games, stop giving us the same old games in HD, and stop maken stupid things like a werehog. Give me Sonic Adventure 3!

Token_Girl

Token_Girl said:

This would be a real shame. I thought that sale back in 2009 was a start of something new. Now that Sega had done it, it would be more possible for other devs to hold sales.

Guess not. I would rebuy all of those games if they dropped the price now, knowing that sales really are that difficult to make happen on the Wii. However, I'd be surprised if Triple Trouble WASN'T released on Thursday.

Ristar42

Ristar42 said:

I wouldnt buy those 50Hz versions anyway, Sonic in slow motion and with nice boarders on the top and bottom of the screen...

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

Guess we'll have to stay tuned... I'm sure everyone's thought of why SEGA couldn't or wouldn't give a discount or do something special on the N front, but it would be obsurd NOT to... we'll just have to wait and see.

wanderlustwarrior

wanderlustwarrior said:

@2: Maybe that's because anytime there is something good in the sonic series, like the Advance and Rush series, Colors, etc., people/"fans" love to ignore it.

I'm really disappointed that Nintendo does this. But that's why I've only ever bought two games fom the virtual console, one that was never released in America and one that I'd never played and couldn't on another console. I can't really understand their obsession with selling the same game with little to no value when their competitors can undercut them. Either VC sales don't matter or their profit margins from the ROMs they use cause them not to care.

@17: Me and a friend played some of Mega Collection a few weeks ago, on an Emerald/lives run of S3&K. When we got to that one point in Launch Base Zone, we taped down the controllers and went out for pizza.

Ryno

Ryno said:

@wanderlustwarrior
Well said, agreed. I only buy VC games that were not released in the USA (i.e. Rondo of Blood) or not available on a system I own which are the N64 and Neo Geo

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

I already have every single Sonic game that's had a home release from the orginal game up to the mid-2000's except for Sonic Shuffle, so I don't really care.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

Hmmm looks like I will have to dust off the ole Genesis this weekend and play me some Sonic 2 and Sonic CD.

_Joejoe_

_Joejoe_ said:

Actually, I bought Sonic Colors today. It was on sale. 60% off! I dunno why they dropped the price so dramatically... I mean, it was retail and it certainly doesn't look pirated... but I figured I won't look a gift horse (Or, in this case, gift hedgehog) in the mouth unless it lead to world domination... which it doesn't, I checked.

Punny

Punny said:

Don't hurt me if my prediction is wrong, but Nintendo Week did mention something special happening on the eShop later this week related to the eight Sonic DS games. Stay tuned!

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

Nintendo needs to step up on their VC systems, not only in system-specific emulation functions supported via various inputs, & such(like rumble, memory cards, mouse, etc.), but also in sale practices. I haven't bought a whole lot off of VC this year, or even last year either. When I do buy games(off of VC), I long ago decided to first d/l what I never owned, &/or played on other systems, but wanted to, or what looked/sounded like I would enjoy it after thorough research online. If I have any spare points, I might(anymore rarely) purchase some things I already own in cart form, or collection disc.

If Nintendo were to do sales, I might actually d/l more from VC.

speshalmon

speshalmon said:

@turtlelink Super Mario World is Super Mario Bros. 4. It said it right on the Japanese box art. And there's New Super Mario Bros. and New Super Mario Bros. Wii, so I think the hedgehog deserves it more...

Henmii

Henmii said:

Not surprising at all! Nintendo overprices the VC games and they never offer price cuts (with the exception of the 2009 act)!

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

Funny you guys post more negative news like this but fail to mention stuff like the Sega eShop ads/promotions for Sonic games coming later this week.

Maybe we'll even get Triple Trouble this Thursday (fingers crossed)

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

I still don't get why they can't knocked a few dollars off Sonic 4: Episode 1 for WiiWare. I know VC might not happen but c'mon not everyone has had a chance to try Sonic 4 yet.

ETLN

ETLN said:

Nintendo should be having sales all the time, I bet a lot of the developers could recoup their loses if Nintendo allowed sales. They want to be competitive in the online space they need to do this.

Pj1

Pj1 said:

I've got all the VC Sonic games on one Wii and was hoping come thursday I could download Sonic 1 & 2 for the price of downloading one title. I think the game-gear channel will allow us some retro Sonic gaming come friday!! I'm very disapointed in Sega as they should be celebrating Sonic's Birthday a lot better than they way they have, at the end of the day it was Sonic that shifted their consoles during the 90's! I feel that Sega have forgotten this....

almostnacho

almostnacho said:

Nintendo doesn't offer discounts? The same Nintendo that wants me to fork over $2 for Photo Dojo, and later, Excitebike, because it's no longer free?