E3 2011: Nintendo News Conference Live Text

Posted by James Newton

Get all your news here

Today's the day Nintendo unveils its new home console for the first time, and we'll be reporting on it all live right here.

There's no need to refresh: the page will update automatically, so sit back and let us take you through the most exciting event of the gaming year.

Following the press conference — also broadcast live at Nintendo's E3 site — we'll continue to feature live text articles for impressions of games from the showfloor.

Live Text - Updates will load here automatically, no need to refresh the page.

18:15

Mario Party 9 and Kirby Mass Attack also spotted, we think

18:15

Rhythm Heaven logo briefly glimpsed on screen!

18:14

After the press conference, the E3 network will kick off showing you new videos, updates and all that sort of stuff. So will we, though.

18:14

Wii U is "a second window into your game world"

18:12

Reggie's back to wrap things up

18:12

Much better online abilities promised but not really talked about

18:08

Ninja Gaiden 3*

18:08

Lots and lots of "Hardcore" games here

18:07

Tekken is coming..

18:07

Metro Last Light from THQ on Wii U too - so many shooters!

18:07

Ghost Recon Online for Wii U - yep, it's Ghost Recon.

18:06

Aliens Colonial Marines confirmed for Wii U

18:06

Dirt from Codemasters now - machine looks very capable graphically-speaking

18:06

Footage of Darksiders II on screen.

18:06

Interesting that so far the actual console itself hasn't been shown, though...

18:05

GHOST RECON ONLINE for Wii U too

18:05

BATMAN ARKHAM CITY and ASSASSIN'S CREED on WII U

18:05

Tekken for Wii

18:04

Darksiders II coming to Wii U

18:04

The most huggable man in games - Warren Spector - on screen now

18:04

Ken Levine talking about it too - will we see Bioshock on Wii U?

18:04

5th Cell talking though - this would be a great fit for Drawn to Life, guys...

18:03

Peter Moore talking about EA Sports stuff. Yay.

18:03

Third party developers talking about Wii U now as "A New Beginning"

18:03

It's exclusive to Wii U and 3DS though - won't see this on 360!

18:03

It's like GTA but with LEGO. Happy, hardcore gamers?!

18:02

But Reggie is announcing the first Wii U game - Nintendo will publish LEGO City Stories on Wii U

18:02

These are prototypes, not actual games

18:02

Chase Mii is basically the old Pac-Man GBA - GC game from back in the day

18:01

Shield Pose is a mixture of augmented reality and motion control

18:01

New Super Mario Bros. Mii on Wii U! Play a Mario game with your Mii!

18:00

It's basically a bird flying about a Japanese garden, picking up flowers and dropping them in the sea. It's not exactly Halo 4.

17:59

Reminds us of an old Gamecube tech demo from some years ago!

17:59

If these are in-game graphics then Nintendo is going to make a lot of people very, very happy.

17:58

There'll be 8 different demos of what Wii U can do on display

17:58

Wii U software will be playable this week - Reggie will explain a bit more

17:57

The Wii U and 3DS will be cross compatible - play Smash Bros on both systems

17:57

HUGE cheers

17:57

Yes, Smash Bros for both 3DS and Wii U!

17:57

Mr Sakurai gets a name drop now - will we see a Smash Bros now?

17:56

A Wii U Iwata Asks interview will be coming up soon

17:55

The idea of a console with two screens is interesting, certainly - screen looking is over!

17:55

OK, now we're talking about games with the one and only, Mr Shigeru Miyamoto

17:54

Looks like more than just a gaming machine - a convenient unit

17:54

Video chat confirmed too

17:53

HD support confirmed too

17:53

It's not a portable console, won't work away from the main unit

17:52

Turns into a portable device when the TV is busy watching "Baseball"

17:52

Touchscreen, Microphone, Speakers and a camera all in the controller

17:51

Completely backward compatible with existing Wii accessories

17:49

Nintendo is being smart by making it so clearly connected to the Wii, yet completely separate in its own right

17:48

Looks like it will interface with the Wii Remote in clever ways - put it on the floor when playing golf to see the lie of your ball

17:48

Augmented reality confirmed too

17:47

You also can just play on the controller if you want to

17:47

Keep playing on your controller while your machine is on but someone is watching the TV

17:47

The Wii U does streaming too as the rumours said

17:46

Here it is in action

17:46

Two analogue sticks too

17:46

The Wii U DOES have a touch screen controller

17:46

What do you think of "Wii U" as a name?

17:45

Phew, that name isn't completely stupid.

17:45

Wii U the new console name

17:45

Reggie talking about Wii and the new console

17:42

People are cheering 3D Classics Excitebike - we've already played it! Review coming up later today

17:41

Game demos will be available "later this year" for download and retail software

17:40

He's now talking about the web browser and eShop update

17:40

Reggie says the library of games on the way is "unprecedented"

17:40

Tekken 3D confirmed too

17:40

Resi: Revelations still looks good, Driver Renegade next, then Pac-Man and Galaga Dimensions

17:39

Tetris, Cave Story 3D (yay!)

17:39

Resi: Mercenaries, Mario and Sonic Olympics, Ace Combat start things off

17:39

Third party developers coming up now

17:38

Luigi's Mansion 2 is an entirely new game

17:37

Levels take place from a sort of "doll's house" perspective rather than a camera tracking Luigi as in Super Mario 64, say

17:37

Simply called Luigi's Mansion 2

17:37

Luigi Mansion 3DS looks good though, about time it was released in 3D!

17:36

No date though, just "later this year"

17:36

AR mode confirmed too!

17:35

Looks like an odd mix of strategy, platforming and shoot 'em up

17:35

Kid Icarus multiplayer mode on show now

17:34

Super Mario 3D coming before 2012 too apparently!

17:33

It's bright, it's bold and, you know, it's Mario in 3D!

17:33

Combination of side-scrolling and 3D free roaming

17:33

Super Mario 3D looks just as you'd expect - a mix of NSMB, Super Mario 64 and SMB3

17:32

The game we've been waiting for - Super Mario on 3DS!

17:30

Mario Kart 3DS is coming this Christmas!

17:30

Drifting and classic items are in too, though no sign of the Blue Shell of Doom yet!

17:30

Customisable Karts are in - choose your base kart, tyres and ability

17:30

Touches of Diddy Kong Racing here with the variable craft

17:29

And they go underwater too!

17:29

Karts in Mario Kart now have gliders attached to them?

17:29

He just said Mario Kart 3DS is "tricked out". Way to go, Reggie.

17:28

Five key games on the show floor

17:28

He's talking about headline games for 3DS now

17:27

"You want what you've always wanted, but you want something new"

17:27

Reggie Fils-Aime is on stage now - we hope your body is ready!

17:26

Luigi Mansion for 3DS!!

17:26

Kid Icarus now - this should be out already! Sort it out Nintendo!

17:26

Tanooki Suit briefly shown

17:26

Super Mario Bros. now on screen, looks like SMB 3

17:25

"Do a barrel roll" getting major laughs

17:25

Star Fox is up next

17:25

Nintendo's stage is amazing - multiple screens, none of them regular shaped

17:25

First up it's Mario Kart 3D!

17:25

He's now talking about favourite franchises coming to 3DS

17:24

"It is a product to look forward to next year"

17:24

The new platform represents a major step to reaching Nintendo's ideal step

17:24

He says we'll find out more later - everyone laughs a laugh of FRUSTRATION

17:24

"It will let everyone see games in a different way" - stop teasing us Iwata!

17:23

Deeper content for hardcore users, wider content for all gamers

17:23

Here we go: deeper and wider are two words that apply to the new machine

17:23

He wants a new platform that's satisfying for all players -- hardcore and casual

17:23

He's talking about the perception of games systems, including Wii

17:22

Now we have Satoru Iwata on stage. Will he produce a new console from his jacket?

17:21

A heartfelt thank you from the Zelda team to fans of Zelda games worldwide. A nice way to end a good start to the show

17:20

Now up on stage we have various key members of the Zelda team: Takashi Tezuka, Yoshiaki Koizumi and Eiji Aonuma

17:19

Also set to release two music CDs - Ocarina of Time soundtrack through Club Nintendo

17:18

Nintendo will hold Zelda orchestral concerts in regions around the world

17:17

Skyward Sword to get a special Gold Wii Remote Plus with the Zelda logo

17:16

Finally we have Skyward Sword this holiday season on Wii

17:16

Zelda: Four Swords for DSiWare for free in September!!

17:15

Now talking about Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D, which is out next week, of course. Look out for our review soon!

17:14

Should available before the end of the day, so give it 12 - 15 hours!

17:14

Link's Awakening DX coming to 3DS VC today apparently

17:14

Each system will get a new Zelda game

17:14

He's now talking about what Nintendo will do for the 25th anniversary

17:13

Orchestral jingles from Zelda games = the reason music was invented

17:12

How many companies could start with a live orchestral rendition of music? Hats off, Ninty!

17:10

Even Miyamoto seems at a loss for words for what to say about Zelda

17:09

Great music though!

17:09

Wow, there have been a lot of Zelda games.

17:07

Looks like we're being shown the entire Zelda back history with some live music..

17:03

Press conference is a go!

16:59

Let's do this!

16:43

We're getting ready to take our seats for Nintendo's E3 show. It's very, very exciting.

16:31

30 minutes to go! Time to start rounding up those last minute provisions and planning toilet breaks, everyone!

16:23

We do have a temporary off-site chatroom available too - http://tinychat.com/fmggj

16:22

Just over 30 minutes to go!

16:15

Our man in the UK office is cracking open his first caffeinated drink of the evening. Sure to be many more!

15:53

It's unlikely Nintendo will announce Café prices today, but what about a release date? Let's hear it!

15:36

Our News Editor James is ready to go! http://twitpic.com/587ol9

15:33

If you want to watch the event live, you can visit http://e3.nintendo.com

15:03

OK, two hours to go until Nintendo's show starts! Let's hear your predictions guys!

14:46

Nintendo's conference kicks off in 2h 15m. Start preparing your mind and body!

09:02

We're getting ready to launch our E3 2011 live text feed. Stick with us and you'll go far!

To help spread the load we've opened an off-site Nintendo Life E3 chatroom for you to discuss the show with Nintendo fans. You can also follow Nintendo Life on Twitter and get involved using the #NintE3ndo hashtag, as well as leave your thoughts in the comments section below.

dinkelberg

dinkelberg said:

im looking sooooo damn forward to this i cant wait to see the new wii wii games and 3ds games and the game retro studios is working on and the game rockstar games are goanna make for the new wii and this is the best week of the year literaly

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

If I have trouble watching the Nintendo E3 site's live stream, this is where I'll be sticking around.

pinta_vodki

pinta_vodki said:

I don't want this Cafe thing to be released soon, I'm still not finished playing with my Wii!

But I must admit, I'm curious as hell. But also dubiuous - I doubt it will be as revolutionary as Wii.

koryz12

koryz12 said:

Come on nintendo announce something amazing for 3ds as ps vita while not as good as 3ds is still much stronger competiton than the psp ever was.

BowserTheGreat

BowserTheGreat said:

I put 90210 as my zip code and on the eshop i bought super mario land and i did not have to pay tax! ha ha :)

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

I wish I had some Popcorn and Soda. Instead I'm stuck with a mars bar. lol Anyways, 40 more minutes! Christmas morning can't even compare muhaha.

This is going to be Nintendo's best E3 ever! b-)
Long as Cathy Dunway doesn't go near the stage i think we'll be fine. That loony toon needs to be dipped in Cartoon Acid.

Token_Girl

Token_Girl said:

So glad you're doing liveblog again. I just got called into work (and by the time I get settled the conference will be mostly over. :( I wonder if this works on teh iphone.

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

@*Wariowoods
Aside from the glitchy Skyward Sword presentation was I the only one laughing every time Miyamoto silently said "oop! oop!" every time he killed a spider with his sling shot.lol

Burning_Spear

Burning_Spear said:

Can't wait for this! I'm predicting we get 20 minutes of 3DS info, 10 minutes of Wii info and 15 minutes of Cafe info, in that order. No Cafe price and only a rough release date, like second half of '12 or middle of '12.

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

Oh I know, I just wanted to poke some more fun at her.lol
And aghhhhhhh, if the live stream lags on me I am seriously going to cry man tears!

Portista

Portista said:

Monster Hunter 3ds pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeezeeee! Oh, and only 4 mins left till start!

RyuZebian

RyuZebian said:

OMG!!!! I'm gonna watch the live stream though, but I'll check in NL as well, for exchange of impressions etc.! After all, we have a great community here! :)

Karakato

Karakato said:

It may be 12 in the morning for me and I do have to get to my college in the morning, but I'll be here all night. This will all be hopefully worth it. Please Nintendo, Don't disappoint!

Chris720

Chris720 said:

Seems Nintendo's E3 stream isn't loading, no surprise really. Still have this though I suppose, but I really wanted to watch it. :(

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Four Swords Adventures game just announced for DSi! World-wide symphony planned including soundtracks awared to the first people who register Ocarina of Time 3D first on Club Nintendo.

stinssd

stinssd said:

Anyone else having problems with the sound while watching the Nintendo E3 presentation?

stinssd

stinssd said:

chiwii

chiwii said:

I had trouble with the sound being way too quiet on ign and g4tv. Joystiq's sound is louder, so try that if you're having issues.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Awesome trailer with several games just shown, including Mario Kart 3DS, Star Fox 64 3D, Mario 3D, Kid Icarus: Uprising, and Luigi's Mansion!

stinssd

stinssd said:

Okay, sounds like they fixed the sound. (I'm watching on the Nintendo website.)

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Awesome Kid Icarus game trailer shown, including new characters and AR cards revealed!

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Luigi's Mansion 2 is a dream come true, and it looks amazing! Reggie said that there will be more than one mansion! The rooms especially look better than ever.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Wii U controller looks like a classic controller with a screen, but it's cool! It can switch the play over to its screen from a TV, and the trailer blew my mind! Iwata is explaining the controller built in.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Super Smash Bros 4 to be made for both Nintendo 3DS and Wii U! Even though Wii U might have been more suited, hooray for compromise!

Samholy

Samholy said:

wait. did he say smash bros on Wii U AND 3DS ??? oh man, that makes my day

Splat

Splat said:

Wii U is going to cost so much and I don't even what to think about buying a second controller.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I just saw the logos for Kirby Wii and Mario Party 9 pop up on the giant screen! Mario Party 9 must be for Wii U.

MrMagpie

MrMagpie said:

While I hoped to see Monster Hunter and a new metroid, I can't exactly say I'm dissatisfied.

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

I honestly don't know what to think of this thing. I am left with more questions than answers.

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

I don't know what to think either....All I know is that the name is utterly dreadful...Wii U!?.....Worst console name in the history of consoles I'd say.lol just terrible.

And a glorified I-Pad?....What really pissed me off was that 'hardcore' trailer with Batman, Ninja gaiden III and those other dark gritty violent games, and the ones that were first person clearly didn't make use of Pointer controls...the aiming looked clunky. I HOPE nintendo didn't abonden motion controls, aka the wii remote. in ways this seems like a step backwards.

I hate the design, ugh i'm just dissapointed with it. Zelda Wii U looked amazing though..And especially that Bird demo...just amazing, that is if it really was in-game.

And what's the deal with NSMB U? it looks like NSMBWii graphically!? Not to mention those demo's looked like crap as well.

Kreegs07

Kreegs07 said:

Does anyone think that a controller like this will allow for 3rd part controllers to be made? I usually only buy 1st party controllers anyway, but companies like Mad Catz always seem to make controllers.

spizzamarozzi

spizzamarozzi said:

What happened to the promised "new experiences on Wii"?? I was expecting some damn Wii games, since WiiU doesn't exist yet! Barstewards.

Chris720

Chris720 said:

E3 felt awful, nothing spectacular and you hardly saw the new console, just the dam controller. The bird video looked stunning, almost realistic even. I think they could've done better with this, I'm left with more questions than actual answers.

Also the Wii U games that were shown seemed mainly FPS oriented or fighting. Also I couldn't help but feel the developers kept saying "Nintendo finally made a powerful console our games will actually work on!!"

Splat

Splat said:

"Also I couldn't help but feel the developers kept saying "Nintendo finally made a powerful console our games will actually work on!!"

Well it's true. Developers like EA were getting tired of watering down their games for the Wii.

Henmii

Henmii said:

I did see it live and I think it was a nice briefing! I liked that they started with the orchestra and that they showed different scenes of Zelda's history (though it's still not 100% confirmed if Skyward sword is orchestrated). I like the gold wiimote. I don't like that the Skyward sword footage was that short, but they already have solved this loss by actually releasing a trailer now.

Then the very cool 3DS intro, wich also gave away that a new Luigi's mansion was coming. Then nice footage of Mariokart 3DS (hangglider looks fun), Some truly awesome looking Mario bros 3D footage. Nice looking Kid Icarus game with cool cards. And then a new Luigi's mansion, wich also looked very nice.

Then....the wii u. Dissapointed at first. Stupid name. Just a tablet-like handheld that connects with your television, though it has some interesting uses. Wiimote becomes secondary. Bird-demo looks strong though. Nintendo games look terribly weak, with the exception of a Zelda, though I guess that's just a demo. But then....HARDCORE third-party games that look pretty good. Third-party games you would normally never see on a Nintendo console! There is hope for the future, though there is no indication yet that this console is stronger then PS3 or Xbox360. Oh, and Nintendo announced a new Super smash brothers game for wii u (wich is cool) AND 3DS and they can be connected. I wonder though: Will it be 2 different games, or 2 different versions. And how will look the one in comparison with the other.

And it's also a pity that Skyward sword was the only wii game shown!