AT&T Grants 3DS Owners Free Access to 10,000 Hotspots

Posted by James Newton

SpotPass just got easier

The 3DS's new SpotPass feature is designed to let the console automatically seek out new content every time it comes within range of a wireless Internet hotspot, a feature that just got a lot more useful across North America as Nintendo President Satoru Iwata announced a new collaboration between the company and AT&T that will see 10,000 hotspots opened up to console owners.

The support will come in the same May update that will also bring the eShop and new video streaming service, letting users who opt-in to connect automatically to more than 10,000 WiFi points for free.

If you have questions about the Nintendo 3DS, including SpotPass, our helpful Nintendo Life 3DS FAQ should help to explain all.

Radbot42

Radbot42 said:

I'm so glad I pre-ordered my 3DS when I did, All this info is overwhelming, and today was already an awesome day when the conveyer belt broke at work (trust me when that happens work is 10 times more fun!)

Squiggle55

Squiggle55 said:

you guys are blowing my mind today!

does this mean access to online multiplayer out on the streets that we otherwise would not have had?

bboy2970

bboy2970 said:

This is great! Nintendo really seems to be pushing the whole walking with the 3DS thing. All my friends say that the SpotPass and StreetPass things will fade and not be very useful because no one will carry their systems. I think people under-estimate this. With the range being 30 feet its not like you have to be standing right next to someone for a transfer to take place. With that distance it could even happen when you are parked at a red light!

wes008

wes008 said:

What do they mean by these hotspots? (I know they're wifi hotspots) Are they only at AT&T stores?

irken004

irken004 said:

No no no, these are just hotspots that you find in Mcdonalds, Starbucks, and other various places.
You can also google a map of various AT&T hotspots already in use in ur area.

TrevorTheChan

TrevorTheChan said:

@wes008
Hotspots are places where you can log on to a network and access the Internet, much like the wireless router you may have in your house. So if you're, for example, at a coffee shop that has a Wi-Fi hotspot, you can connect to it and go online.

Peznaze

Peznaze said:

Looks like Nintendo's serious about online this time around... now, to see if they have... understanding to add to their intent.

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

I'm sill of the opinion their whole everybody-connects-to-each-other is actually a clever way to help bring the offensive to piracy. A system that gets update checks every few minutes, or a few times a month, would be easier to keep tabs on. Esp. if each time the 3DS updates, the Nintendo servers check that particular 3DS for "unauthorized software". Still, as long as the idea of gaming online, doesn't suffer from Nintendo's (almost ridiculously over-whelming) piracy fears, all will be well.

Furthermore, free online is always cool. Ppl just don't wanna enter any sensitive passwords/etc. @ most hotspots. Virus writers don't want ppl to think that these hotspots are virus-ridden, b/c they want you to use the hotspots to access stuff any sensitive data you might have(passwords to accounts, & everything). So, they use keyloggers instead. Granted, I don't think anyone will use their 3DS to log into their online auction financial data, or stuff like that, but still I hope the 3DS has an ultra-good hardware, & software firewall into it. It'll probably just have a software firewall, though.

Linkuini

Linkuini said:

Cool! As soon as I get a 3DS, I can forgive AT&T for dropping so many iPhone calls. Maybe. :P

Squiggle55

Squiggle55 said:

I just looked up a map of at&t hotspots and now I'm wondering what this announcement actually means for us. If these hotspots are places like McDonalds and Starbucks, weren't those already free for everyone? Could someone explain this to me? Maybe it simply bypasses the annoying sign-in process? That could be the headline I guess. AT&T grants quick access to their already free hotspots. And now it makes sense that the focus of the announcement here is spotpass.

Glade

Glade said:

This is just awesome.. same I can't experience the free wifi anytime soon until i go back to the US...

komicturtle

komicturtle said:

I have an ATT cellphone. And have had no problems with the service (though, this is a HOTSPOT). I'm really liking what Nintendo is doing with the 3DS. It ONLY gets better and my excitement has been taking to level 999 :)

Victoria

Victoria said:

Cool! I'm visiting my family in the US for 3 weeks this summer, and I plan on hitting my old favourite Starbucks haunts. This will be a good test of it.