Aonuma Confirms Zelda is Not the Skyward Sword

Posted by James Newton

Princess present but not in weapon form

Ever since the very first piece of teaser artwork was produced for Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword – long before it was even known as Skyward Sword, even – there's been discussion of who or what the sword would be. Eiji Aonuma has confirmed the sword does have a personality but you can rule out one possibility: it's not Princess Zelda.

Stating that the sword itself is the driving force behind Link's next adventure, Mr Aonuma says:

When that sword is actively guiding Link it actually transforms into a feminine figure. I wouldn't say that it's female per se but it's a feminine figure. It would be kind of nice to keep this a mystery, but I can tell you right now that it is not Zelda.

That's one theory down, 2,000 to go. With there being a relative lack of memorable feminine figures in Zelda history other than the princess, this could even be a brand new character to the series. Or could it be a returning face from old? Let us know your thoughts in the comments.

[via computerandvideogames.com]

RyuZebian

RyuZebian said:

It's a new character, obviously. Who else would it be? Ruto? xD ... That would be scary.

MasterGraveheart

MasterGraveheart said:

When I first read this, I thought it said "...confirms Zelda is not in the Skyward Sword." But, after that, yeah, I didn't think Zelda WAS the Skyward Sword either. She's already been pretty ghostly before, right? :)

SilverBaretta

SilverBaretta said:

Who actually thought the sword was Zelda? If anything, Zelda will be the Princess of Skyloft. And didn't Aonuma (or Miyamoto, I forget which) already give the name for the sword character and say that it would be a new character?

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

"I wouldn't say that it's female per se but it's a feminine figure"
Japan strikes again

AVahne

AVahne said:

I've always thought it was a new character. Who could it have been? Malon?

Alias

Alias said:

Maybe Midna? The fairy queen? Could she be something as absurd as TINGLE?! WHAT IF IT'S A BOY?!

wedgeredleader

wedgeredleader said:

Say what you want... But you all know it's gwonam. Just imagine jumping of the platform and hearing Squadelah we're off! And he will tell you about all of the bosses . Plus late in the game you can use his carpet.
Now only if the game had the king.

moosa

moosa said:

"With there being a relative lack of memorable feminine figures in Zelda history other than the princess..."
You're joking, right?

Kid_A

Kid_A said:

I always thought it looked like that ghostly Zora in Twilight Princess...but I imagine this will be an entirely new character

Slapshot

Slapshot said:

I havent been extremely excited about Skyward Sword after Phantom Hourglass, but after E3 I cant wait to get my hands on this one. The graphics, controls... everything screams Awesomeness!

Sylverstone

Sylverstone said:

If it was Tingle, the entire gaming world would've been shaken down to its very foundation. :P

Anyways, possibilities are open: that Zora from TP, Navi or just a brand new (feminine) character.

Punny

Punny said:

It will probably be a new helper (like Midna and Navi). I had a hunch that sword wasn't Zelda.

NintendoCoDGamer

NintendoCoDGamer said:

yeah, but I would probably crush my wii remote after hearing navi yelling "hey! listen! look!" through the speaker.

pkmnguy

pkmnguy said:

maybe Tetra, but probably not bcuz Tetra is only from the ds games, i think

IanUniacke

IanUniacke said:

"I wouldn't say that it's female per se but it's a feminine figure"

Birdo in Skyward Sword confirmed! ;)

Although I think it might be someone like Navi.

Sakeraf

Sakeraf said:

I think its a brand new character that will be the skyward-sword but turn into the master-sword near the end of the game. remember its the "sword of evil's bane". so how can it be a character from later Zelda games if it IS the sword.

ZeldaFTW

ZeldaFTW said:

Most likely it's no one old. But if it is, I would say Navi maybe. Tingle? Now that would be crazy since Tingle isn't feminine.

Kyloctopus

Kyloctopus said:

We don't need another game that Zelda is trapped but not exactly trapped if you know what I mean.

JimLad

JimLad said:

Yeah I was going to say, "you know what Link needs in this game? loads of females to befriend. I mean when does that ever happen" :P

grumblebuzzz

grumblebuzzz said:

I kind of agree that it very well could be Midna. The artwork image does sort of look like her humanoid form...

Gamesake

Gamesake said:

I knew there was a reason Zelda kept Link at arms length. He just seemed way to content living on the road with his sword. If they write in a love triangle with the Skyward Sword this will be the craziest video game ever.

karuno

karuno said:

pkmnguy if you don't remember at the end of the wind waker you find out that tetra is zelda.

Jason_the_Mason

Jason_the_Mason said:

@karuno: You find out Tetra is Zelda long before the end of the game, and anyone who has ever played a Zelda game readily guessed Tetra was Zelda from the beginning. Anyone who bothered looking at the pictures in Tetra's cabin on the ship should have figured it out pretty fast, too.

Jason_the_Mason

Jason_the_Mason said:

Who in the world even thought up the idea that Zelda could be Skyward Sword/Master Sword? Does the sword's "human" manifestation look anything like Zelda? How does that make sense? It's not any of the sages or other fan-favourite characters either. It's a new character. It's the spirit of the Master Sword. We'll learn more about it when the game comes out, but it's pretty obvious who the sword is not.

LinkMetroidhybrid

LinkMetroidhybrid said:

It could be saria from ocarina of time. that could be the reason link and her have a bond at the begging of OOT. I'd be happy because she was a fun character and I would love to see her in a future title. Plus she has green hair! How freaking awsome is that!