Dragon Quest IX Gets a Little Help from Seth Green

Posted by James Newton

Contains potentially fatal amounts of geek

Just when you thought your anticipation levels for Dragon Quest IX couldn't get any higher, along comes Nintendo with a new celebrity endorsement to kick your excitement up just another little notch. It may not be quite Beyoncé Knowles advertising Rhythm Paradise, but Seth Green's comical turn in this advert for the upcoming DS RPG may convince a few gamers to pick up Square Enix's epic title when it lands in North America on July 11th.

Leaf through the press release below and prepare yourself for the first advert, with the second one to follow in a due time.

REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Actor/producer Seth Green will appear in new ads for Nintendo’s forthcoming DRAGON QUEST IX®: Sentinels of the Starry Skies™ video game, lending his personality to two different ads highlighting the game. In the campaign, Green uses examples of the game’s deep customization options to help teens make decisions about which friend they should take to a concert, and what to wear on a date. The first of the humorous ads will premiere in U.S. movie theaters today prior to screenings of The Twilight Saga: Eclipse, and is currently airing on television.

Launching exclusively for the Nintendo DS™ family of hand-held game systems on July 11, DRAGON QUEST IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies is the latest entry in the popular DRAGON QUEST adventure series. It includes rich customization options that allow players to create their own in-game characters using a vast selection of clothing, weapons, special items and abilities. Players can also connect wirelessly with friends and share their adventure at any time in a cooperative multiplayer mode. The game has already become a social phenomenon in Japan, selling 4.2 million units.

Seth Green is co-creator/executive producer/co-writer/co-director/main voice talent for the Emmy-winning Robot Chicken series, which airs on Cartoon Network’s Adult Swim. Green won Annie Awards for directing and writing the Robot Chicken: Star Wars specials, which both debuted as the No. 1 TV DVD upon release. He’s an executive producer and voices the villain in Adult’s Swim’s Titan Maximum. He and his Stoopid Monkey Prods. partner, Matthew Senreich, are also consulting on Lucasfilm’s animated STAR WARS comedy series and are doing a pilot presentation for Fox.

Green has starred in films including all three Austin Powers films, The Italian Job, Party Monster, Without a Paddle, Can’t Hardly Wait, Old Dogs and dozens more. Next up, Green is the star of Disney’s upcoming feature, Mars Needs Moms.

This advert is now one of the better entries on Green's resume.

SilverBaretta

SilverBaretta said:

I saw this earlier today. I thought it was pretty funny. Seth Green and video games are a chuckle-worth combination. :D

Alias

Alias said:

That's quite funny that Seth Green is advertising video games.

Chris720

Chris720 said:

Seth Green is... WEEGEE! :D

I agree with V8 ninja though, this is a little odd...

greenellow

greenellow said:

damn i was hoping that beyonce would be in the comercial this is just awful cough sarcasm cough

timp29

timp29 said:

Pffft martial artist or a warrior?? Dragon Quest 10 should let you choose chuck norris

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

While I totaly dig stop motion animation, Robot Chicken humor-wise is pretty weak. But I like the fact that it covers cartoons and so on from the 80's and early 90's :p

Anyways 0:24 - 0:31 was the best part of the commercial. No Sethy, no teen beat party, just beautiful clouds and Dragon Quest.

Supermegaman

Supermegaman said:

Airing prior to Twilight Eclipse?

That doesnt sound like your target audience to me...

Awesome ad though :D

Macaronius

Macaronius said:

Technically, Seth Green could plausibly be Mario's long lost brother, because Luigi is just an alternative of the German name Ludwig, which means famous warrior, and clearly Luigi is not.

It could have been a mix-up at Mushroom Kingdom General's maternity ward.

Kaeobais

Kaeobais said:

That was actually pretty funny. And I tend to hate ads.

Seth should start doing more ads :D

Axoloth

Axoloth said:

How can a game be rated "Everyone, but only for those older than 10", anyway?

SwerdMurd

SwerdMurd said:

Robot Chicken is pure feces. Seasons 1 and 2 were tolerable....but what else would you expect from the reason Family Guy sucks now, too? He's tolerable when not irritating the ears with soapboxy nonsense.

That last line is amazing btw :)

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

Whenever I watch Robot Chicken, I always think....This would be so awesome if Trey Parker and Matt Stone(the creators of South Park) did this....But no, instead we get Seth's terrible sense of humor which for the most part appeals to 12 year olds with ADD. It's really weird too how they spend alot of time making a set, characters and so on only to make it last 3 seconds at certain times.lol What a waste. And seriously, I think Seth Green is the only person on the planet that laughs out loud at his show and thinks it's pure genious.lol

I find Robot Chicken and Family guy both highly annoying now. Futurama and South Park are the only funny cartoons on TV if you ask me... And you can't forget the older episodes of sponge Bob hehe. Also, American Dad is mildy entertaining and is better than when it first started, but I still don't really care for it. And the Cleaveland show? Ewwwwwwwwwwww

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

Ok fine, Buffy kicked back in the day. Hell I watched it from Season 1 to the very...well, I missed the last season but that's because I lost interest :p It was one of my favorite shows in my tween years. But Seth was horrible in it.lol Yet he was decent in the Austin Power movies, especially the 3rd. When he runs like a panzy.:D

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

Pffft, Robot Chicken is way more tolerable than most of the other shows on AS. Sure, some sketches are boring or stupid, but others are pretty awesome (like the Entertainment Tonight parody with Stan Lee and Pamela Anderson).

On topic: I was actually hoping this would be stop-motion, but oh well.

Fuzzy

Fuzzy said:

Nice ad. Is there any news of an Aus release date? If not, Ill have to get it from the US

komicturtle

komicturtle said:

Leave it to Nintendo to produce these clever Ads.. Square-Enix barely tries- and what's worse, the last Dragon Quest game they advertised was Joker and THAT was actually pretty good. But not those re-releases. Hope people recognize this amazing franchise now :)

HanuKwanzMasBif

HanuKwanzMasBif said:

And this is why I want Dragon Quest IX. I'm gonna make a warrior named Seth Green. And additionally, this is one of the sole reasons to like Seth Green.