Dedicated Castlevania Fan Beats NES Version With Dance Mat

Posted by Damien McFerran

Virtual Console port is bested using some smooth moves

Those of you brave enough to have downloaded the Virtual Console port of the original NES Castlevania will be aware that the game is hard. As in tough-as-old-boots hard. Here at Nintendo Life Towers we've lost count of the number of NES pads we've broken over the years attempting to put Drac back in his coffin.

However, there's one fan out there who clearly doesn't think Konami's vampire-slaying classic is difficult enough. Nick Hagman took on the challenge of beating the Virtual Console edition of the game using - wait for it - a Dance Dance Revolution dance mat controller. Madness.

It took him over four hours to achieve this incredible task but he did it, and proof is shown below.

[via kotaku.com]

RonF

RonF said:

And I thought Castlevania games to be too hard. Perhaps I am a much weaker player than I thought.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

Why is it that Dracula is NOT the hardest boss in the game? This is based on the video and the fact that it looks just the same as the start of SOTN, and my experience failing to ever GET to Dracula in the original Castlevania on account of it being TOO DANG HARD! This, with a REGULAR controller! Congrats to this guy, pulling off such a crazy goal.

bngrybt

bngrybt said:

I don't see the big deal here. He beat a Konami game using a Konami peripheral.

...J/K that's awesome.

Unca_LzStaff

Unca_Lz said:

Some people have too much free time. :P

Now beat Milon's Secret Castle with that thing! :D

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

HAHAHA, he even got "gamer's rage" & punched the TV screen as shown in a clip at the very end of the video. I've never played a Castlevania game (yet), it's on a long list of games to play, but after seeing this video playing one of them has just gone up on my game playing priorities list. This video is too awesome, I'll may not watch his next one though, given that he's going to DDR mat away SMB1 & I haven't finished it yet but it will be awesome to keep an eye out & see how long it takes him.

Rapadash6

Rapadash6 said:

Beating Castlevania with a controller in and of itself is impressive but this is just insane.

Slapshot

Slapshot said:

Oh Snap, the question running through my head right now is WHY? But wtf, great job man.

KingMike

KingMike said:

I don't know if I can begin to imagine the difficulty.
I tried playing SMB1 with an emulator and PS2 dance pad once. Took me like twenty tries just to beat level 1-1.

ueI

ueI said:

I didn't know it was even possible to play non-DDR games with a dance mat.

LinktotheFuture

LinktotheFuture said:

I have only made it to Dracula once, and I couldn't beat him, and that was 20 years ago. Now I can't get past the Grim Reaper. This is very impressive to me.

MrWout

MrWout said:

mmm I really dig the way it totally sounds like he is having an orgasm after he beat dracula.

Nick_Hagman

Nick_Hagman said:

WOW! Thank you all so much for covering this great event! I worked on beating CV1 with a dance pad for three weeks, and Dracula took two weeks to beat!!! It is a great honor to be on the front page of Nintendo Life, as well as Kotaku.

Sneaker13

Sneaker13 said:

Looks like fun. I was thinking a while back about finishing Mario Kart Wii with Wii Jog. Might just do it.

jangonov

jangonov said:

@Nick_Hagman congrats man, thanks for befriending me on facebook, and welcome to the nintendolife community! Make sure to keep people updated on any new music or crazy game stunts you do

Donatello

Donatello said:

Lets see him beat Castlevania III using the Dance Pad, that would be an entire different beast altogether. Anyways, Death was the hardest Boss in Castlevania if you ask me. Anyways this is pretty damn impressive.

Klapaucius

Klapaucius said:

Great to a see a Nintendo peripheral dusted off and used for some retro gaming. Next do it with DK Bongos?

Digiki

Digiki said:

Impressive, I tried SMB with the mat before but quickly moved along.

Castlevania would be much more playable since you aren't holding down B the majority of the time.

Adam

Adam said:

So you can just play any VC game with a dance mat? I had no idea. I've got to get a dance mat now! The Power Pad for NES was a lot of fun for its pure silliness, especially Eggsplode.

Chunky_Droid

Chunky_Droid said:

Reminds me of the time I got bored one day and beat Cruis'n USA on the N64 by using my tongue on the control stick

These were the days before YouTube :P

EDIT: @Adam, yeah, it substitutes for a D-Pad in the Gamecube Port, I beat my wife on Smackdown vs Raw by playing on a dance mat as I had no 2nd controller at the time.

Earendel68

Earendel68 said:

Now THAT is what I call... Sorry, I have no words for this, 'madness' seems to be a little bit short...

Omega

Omega said:

Oops! That is really weird. But still cool. For me it was hard enough to beat Castlevania even with a normal controller.

@Klapaucius: Haha. To use the DK Bongos is a great idea. So who dares to play through Ikaruga with the DK Bongos? Of course, without loosing a single life? Corbie?

Kevin

Kevin said:

That's insanity! It is incredibly hard at certain parts but I'd never challenge myself like that.

Nick_Hagman

Nick_Hagman said:

@morphballer Actually, it only pumped me up even more to beat Dracula! Kinuyo Yamashita's music always sounds good to me! :D

UPDATE!

Coming Soon: Super Mario Bros... ON A DANCE PAD.

SilverBaretta

SilverBaretta said:

I decided to play Kirby's Adventure with just a dance pad, and it's freakin' hard! I can only imagine how difficult Castlevania is like this.

Uncle_Rick

Uncle_Rick said:

When I was younger, I beat Bionic Commando with just one hand. (Right hand---a finger for each button and a finger and thumb for the D-Pad.)
But, that was nowhere near this challenge. Good show!

SuperNESter

SuperNESter said:

Beating Dracula with a dance mat definetely looks like it's no joke but it makes sense. After all, Simon Belmot can moonwalk on stairs for goodness sake.

Ultronator

Ultronator said:

Hey, if you really want to impress us, you should beat it with the power glove. It's soo baaaddd ;)

ThEjOkErIsWiLd

ThEjOkErIsWiLd said:

After watching this, all I can do is think, "What would playing bit.trip runner with a dance pad be like?" XD