Shantae Coming to DSiWare

Posted by Corbie Dillard

WayForward set to release the long-awaited sequel to their Game Boy Color classic!

Well it's been a long time coming, but Shantae fans are about to have their wishes come true with the release of not one, but three new Shantae episodic titles on Nintendo's DSiWare service.

The first release Shantae: Risky's Revenge, is expected to hit the DSiWare service sometime in the 4th quarter of this year. We don't currently have many details on this upcoming title, but you can check out the new issue of Nintendo Power magazine for a full feature on the game, complete with screenshots and new artwork.

We'll keep you informed on any new developments with the game and we'll have a full review when the game hits the DSiWare service later this year. We'll also try to get an interview with the guys at WayForward when they get some free time.

[via nintendopower.com]

Supermarioman

Supermarioman said:

And my prayers have been answered after so many years, but I would love to see a remake of the original on DSi Ware as well! :D

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

I think the real question we should find ourselves asking here is as follows:
Shantae - would you hit it?

Hardy83

Hardy83 said:

"Shantae - would you hit it?"

Duh! Of course I would!
This is awesome new, along with a tower defense game (fieldrunners) FINALLY coming on DSiWare, and an online Bomberman... sweet.

That_Guy_from_Faxana

That_Guy_from_Faxana said:

Nooo! It was to be a WiiWare game... You´ll always be in my dreams, Shantae ;_;

No, I won´t buy another DS, I´ve already got one thank you :)

Rum_Rapture

Rum_Rapture said:

The original wasn't released in the UK, was it? Hopefully we'll see the sequel... Along with LIT! Come on, WayForward! I'll be your BEST FRIEND.

Noire

Noire said:

Well, that's odd. I didn't write that at all, and I can't delete it. If any of the mods see comment #15, feel free to delete it, as that was not what I tried to post, and I have no idea why that happened. :|

Anyways, what I was trying to say is that stuff like this makes me wish I had a DSi. Maybe for Christmas.

And I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking it. ;)

Malouff

Malouff said:

I never played the original Shantae but what kind of disappoints me is that it will be released as episodic titles

So either the game is to big for a single 800 point game (how big can a DSiWare game be?) or WayForward wants to milk Shantae fans for more money by making it episodic.

For me this would have been a good addition to my DSiWare want list but the episodic idea kind of scares me away.

At least Furry Legends: Beginnings will be another platformer type game coming to DSiWare to look forward to if this remains a little to scary to download.

Cheezy

Cheezy said:

As long as the episodes are less than 800 points, than I'll be very pleased :)

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

Drool... Now people, let's be sure this isn't a sales flop like the first title, okay (granted, I didn't buy the first one until last year, so I shouldn't really talk, but hey...)? ;)

ReZon

ReZon said:

Glad to see this coming, especially to DSiWare!

To show your support for WayForward, why don't you go download MFC now? :)

postmanX3

postmanX3 said:

HOLY CRAP.

HOLY CRAP. HOLY CRAP. HOLY CRAP. HOLY CRAP. HOLY CRAP. HOLY CRAP. HOLY CRAP. HOLY CRAP. HOLY CRAP. HOLY CRAP.

I didn't see that one coming.

Supermarioman

Supermarioman said:

I belive that it is 3 Episodes becuase they couldn't fit Shatae 2 into one single DSiWare release!

Philip_J_ReedStaff

Philip_J_Reed said:

Never played Shantae...but I'm pretty sure WayForward has earned my money from this point forward. I have yet to be disappointed by them, and I'm definitely excited by more releases.

(Boy and His Blob can't get here soon enough...)

KDR_11k

KDR_11k said:

I'd be more interested if Way Forward ever released their games in Europe.

JimLad

JimLad said:

She's signaling me over! I'M COMING MY LOVE

• runs at screen, knocks self out *
Jockolantern

Jockolantern said:

Much as I'd love to see it on WiiWare, DSiWare definitely needs some quality platforming love... hell, it needs more quality games, period. This will make a great addition to it and I hope it bodes well for a future DSi VC release of the original Game Boy Color game somewhere down the road.

Wolfcoyote

Wolfcoyote said:

I've never played the first one for GBA (maybe because of the packaging and that Game Informer chose the wrong kinds of screenshots? I don't know). This is what DSiWare needs - quality downloads and not just pieces of already-released titles.

Plus...yes, she's cute...

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

@Wolfcoyote: You mean GBC. It was the last GBC game ever released, actually. It did have some special programming to give it improvements if played on the GBA, though.

supa

supa said:

you know this picture of shantae looks much better than the picture than when she was on GBC . On the GBC her eyes where all beady and mischievous but now her eyes look more pure.

Wolfcoyote

Wolfcoyote said:

@Stuffgamer1 Sorry about that, that's what I meant - I was posting during lunch and stumbled upon the article. Now that I know the story behind the development of the game I'm willing to give the series a shot.

@supa: I was drawn to the eyes as well; she has that classic '90s anime look rather than the "edgy" look on the GBC boxart.

Umm...is there something wrong with all of us? I mean, she's just a character in an upcoming game, right?

Shane904

Shane904 said:

I saw the original in the rewind (or whatever it is called) collum and thought, wow that looks interesting. With the unfinished "demo". Must have caught Nintendo's eyes.

ShadoWolF_XF

ShadoWolF_XF said:

I'm playing the original now, and I love it!
I do hope we can get a remake of the original to, though. Carrying around a GBC and a DS can be tricky XD

MasterGraveheart

MasterGraveheart said:

Ah, Shantae. Yes, I know it's an old topic, but it's my first post here at Nintendo Life and I wanted it to be special for a very special game. My fourth favorite game of all time finally gets it's well-deserved sequel. This makes me so happy and as a rabbid fanboy of Shantae's, this is well-worth getting a DSi for in my opinion. Thank you, WayForward! Thank you!

Now please don't deprive me of Shantae like that again. Please?