Japanese Virtual Console list - August 2009

Posted by Marcel van Duyn

The final Friday of the month brings us next month's Japanese VC schedule once again.

Things aren't much better next month than they were this one - This time there's 4 non-Namco, non-arcade games instead of 3. A slight improvement, but still not that much better! Among the first games to be released will be the final Final Fantasy game to hit Japan's Virtual Console for now. Pengo, which has been ESRB rated for ages, will also finally be released, so maybe we can finally expect a release elsewhere as well?

Japan's full list for August, not including to be announced Namco arcade games, is as follows:

Famicom:

• Ike Ike! Nekketsu Hockey Bu - Subette Koronde Dairantou (A hockey game starring Kunio-kun and the rest of the gang)

Super Famicom:

Sega Mega Drive:

Virtual Console Arcade:

• Cosmo Gang the Video (August 4th - A shoot 'em up starring Namco's cutesy Cosmo Gang characters)
  • Pac-Mania (August 4th - An isometric Pac-Man game)

Still no sign of Namco releasing more arcade games elsewhere, yet they release at least one in Japan every single week. What could possibly be the hold-up?

[via nintendo.co.jp]

Related Games

St3b0

St3b0 said:

noooooooooooooo FINIAL fansty IV omg come on Nintendo O f america SPoils US wit SOme Japaneese LOve... first

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

I would like to try Pac-mania but Ms. Pacman needs to be released as well. That is like an essential title for the VC.

Ratengo

Ratengo said:

YAY for Pepen ga Pengo next week...! However, it'll only be three updates in August with the second week (the 11th) off due to the Obon festival, so I'll expect two more Namco games to come during the month. That the VC releases are pretty healthy in Japan, compared to the NA and PAL regions, make me feel really good. LONG LIVE the Japanese Virtual Console...!!! :)

Knux

Knux said:

It almost looks like the VC only exists in Japan. DANG JAPANESE!!! [Looks at Homebrew Channel.] But, oh well. :P

DrakeStaff

Drake said:

@ Ratengo: Namco's almost out of games though - Not counting these two they've only got 6 more upcoming arcade games. Hopefully they've got another batch after!

Don

Don said:

Japanese are lucky to get FFIV on VC. They don't need another VC game in August as this game is sufficient to keep them occupied for a whole month.

Ratengo

Ratengo said:

@Drake: Bandai Namco will release only 30 arcade titles during 2009 as announced earlier this year. Maybe the company will return to Japanese VC in 2010 with 30 more arcade titles. Hopefully PC Engine will be back in October with one new title per week instead - but who knows...?! Only time will tell. :P

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

Dear Nintendo of Japan,
Please share some of your VC games.

North America and Europe

Rapadash6

Rapadash6 said:

Yeah, other than Final Fantasy IV, there's not a whole lot here to get excited about. Virtual Console is definately on the decline it seems, even in Japan. Still Final Fantasy IV is one of those games people thought would never come to the service originally, so this is still an excellent month... for Japan. ^^'

Betagam7

Betagam7 said:

Much better value getting one of the Pac Man collections for GBA or DS than paying for just Pac Mania even though its good. Hurry up and give us Donkey Kong arcade please Nintendo

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

@Betagame7
It seems for most games people are waiting for it may be best to find a collection or older cartridge. I don't think many people want to wait years for some of these classics to hit the VC again. It's unfortunate, but its the way it seems to be for now.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Now Japanese players can once again see what happened before The After Years.

I'd rather play the DS remake. The SNES and GBA versions look quited dated.

Egg_miester

Egg_miester said:

now that ff 1-4 is in japan hopefully square will bring 1,4 to the states like they said earlier in the year i need more rpgs i wont finish, but i do feel that square droped the ball with releasing the after years before 4

CrazyOtto

CrazyOtto said:

Holy jizz in my pants! They're getting a 4 game week! Pengo is supposed to come out August 4th too.

Mike1

Mike1 said:

I don't give a sh*t what Japan gets. Seriously, everyone keeps saying that poor Japan are only getting 6 games. Shoot in America we are lucky if we even get 4 a month, and it's been that way for 8 months now.

CrazyOtto

CrazyOtto said:

@ Ratengo: Maybe after Namco releases all their remaining arcade titles on the JP VC, maybe they'll start releasing some on the NA/EU/AU VCs!

Pj1

Pj1 said:

I'm happy with this list, I think the VC will be OK!
but still no Pilot Wings...

astarisborn94

astarisborn94 said:

I call this unfair! Japanese gets 8 games this month while we'll be lucky to see even 4 this month!

KnucklesSonic8

KnucklesSonic8 said:

Yay Pengo! Nice to see the second Cosmo Gang game. I don't really like Pac-Mania that much on NMR, personally. Good update all around!

SwerdMurd

SwerdMurd said:

Won't they have to re-translate FF 4? Short of using the tosh translation from US 2, slapping it onto the japanese 4 rom, and using that as the game, it seems like it would take a lot of extra energy...unless we somehow got the GBA version or something weird? I doubt they'd give us US FF2...that'd just be mean.

Ricardo91

Ricardo91 said:

They get Pengo!? Curses!!

I hope Namco picks up the pace with NA VCA soon. They have practically their entire Arcade history on the Japanese VC already, and we don't even have their best games! Just Druaga, Mappy, and Gaplus. Bleccch!

WarioFan63

WarioFan63 said:

I wonder why Final Fantasy VI wasn't part of the intial Final Fantasy's coming to the VC?

You skipped over V? I'm insulted!

I think 5 and 6 will show up eventually. Hopefully. Square did say there are currently no plans to DS Remake those two and this could be why.

Mabbit

Mabbit said:

why did they put on ff IV? wouldnt they want to drive people to buy the ds version

Adamant

Adamant said:

@Rapadash6: "Yeah, other than Final Fantasy IV, there's not a whole lot here to get excited about. "

Oh hush you, Nekketsu Hockey is awesome.

Mach-X

Mach-X said:

@Bass X0.....why, I bought FF3 DS and I HATE the goofy cartoony gfx "update", was gonna get FF4 DS till I found the PSX version.....much cleaner and nicer looking methinks

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

@WarioFan63

But FF5 was Japan-only. Why would we get it?
And what do you mean no plans to remake FF5?!O_o

And I agree with Mach-X, I prefer the "dated" graphics over newer art, which make my eyeballs feel like they're melting everytime I have to look at them.:(

Lotice-Paladin

Lotice-Paladin said:

I'm sure FF V was translated by the fans and was the first to do so. If they offered the guys who did that some money then it'd be released over her but I doubt that.

FF IV is pretty dated compared to the GBA version though. They still go for £35 I believe...I sold mine for £20 :(. Still, lucky Japan I guess...

Mr_M

Mr_M said:

Nintendo of America sucks, We need Mr Iwata's help towards bringing new life to VC here in north America