We had to wait nearly six months, but we finally had another Nintendo Direct to sink our teeth into. This time around the focus was primarily on the 3DS, with a couple of relatively minor Wii U details sneaking in. There were most certainly some surprises, and Nintendo of America maintained its recent record of wackiness in its presentation.
Coming in at a little over 30 minutes in Europe and North America, there was quite a lot to digest. Most notable, perhaps, was a willingness to reveal some titles for 2017, and the reveal of a couple of Wii U games getting ported over to the 3DS. We don't know, of course, whether Nintendo plans to show a little love to Wii U in the near future, but it must be said that considering some of the reveals today and broader circumstances, the home console is being mostly put out to pasture. Today reinforced that impression, in any case, and it's a topic we'll write about a little in the coming days.
Overall this writer thought it was a strong show, though these Directs are on a hiding to nothing in terms of trying to impress everyone. Aside from a few segments reiterating old news, the broadcasts did have some nice surprises that weren't all easy to predict. It ended with a particularly exciting reveal for Pikmin on 3DS too, though it's a new approach for the series that may prove divisive.
We'll have polls and editorials to come over the next few days, but as so much of the news has already dropped off the front page we thought the traditional 'big summary' would be a good start. We didn't report specifically on repeated news (such as previously announced release dates) but tried to cover all of the key details from the European and North American broadcasts. Below you'll find links to our articles, the full Direct videos, official trailers and some summaries from our own YouTube channel.
- A New Pikmin Game is Confirmed for the 3DS
- Super Mario Maker is Coming to the 3DS
- Poochy & Yoshi's Woolly World is Heading to 3DS, Along With New amiibo
- Alolan Rattata and Special Z-Moves Revealed for Pokémon Sun and Moon
- Mario Sports Superstars Arrives on 3DS in Spring 2017
- Picross 3D Round 2 Out Today in North America, Hits Europe on 2nd December
- Animal Crossing: New Leaf Update, amiibo Cards and Mini Direct on the Way
- Animal Crossing Mini Nintendo Direct Confirmed for 2nd November in Japan
- New StreetPass Update Adds Minigames and Premium Option to Hold 100 Hits
- Demo of Yo-kai Watch 2 Arrives in North America Soon
- Take a Look at More Modes and Features in Mario Party: Star Rush
- TANK TROOPERS Reporting for Duty on 3DS This Winter
- Rhythm Paradise Megamix Demo Arrives in Europe Today
- Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse and 7th Dragon III Code: VFD Confirmed for Euro Winter 2016 Release
- The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword is Out Now on the Wii U eShop
- New Play Control! Pikmin Out Now on the Wii U eShop in Europe
Wii U & 3DS
Nintendo of America
Nintendo of Europe
Hyrule Warriors Legends DLC Pack 3
Mario Party: Star Rush
'Have Fun With Animal Crossing amiibo'
Picross 3D: Round 2 Launch Trailer
StreetPass Mii Plaza New Games Trailer
Nintendo Classic Mini Trailer (Europe)
Nintendo Life Videos
Super Mario Maker for 3DS Confirmed
Legend of Zelda amiibo, Hyrule Warriors DLC and Skyward Sword
Yoshi's Woolly World Coming to Wii U, with Extra Poochy
New Pikmin Game for 3DS
New Pokémon Revealed for Pokémon Sun and Moon