Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Introduces the Winged Snake Najarala

Posted by Karen Halloran

Snake wyvern... why did it have to be a snake wyvern?

The creature features from Capcom's Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate expanded bestiary continue apace, this time introducing the Monster Hunter franchise's first ever snake-style creature, the winged snake wyvern Najarala.

Considering that the Najarala is a snake creature, it unsurprisingly uses blazing fast head strikes along with a few other intriguingly nasty tricks; whether or not hunting horn players have a natural advantage when fighting the thing has been neither confirmed nor denied. For the fashion-conscious hunters out there, the Najarala will indeed look good on you if you've ever felt the need for a set with that Qurupeco disco flair but a touch more Aztec styling:

Are you dying to get hugged by the game's first snake wyvern or are you looking to use it as a blade holder? Already lusting after that armour or think you can give it a pass? Possibly still trying to figure out how to pay off that solid gold feline statue? Let us know in the comments!

[via capcom-unity.com]

Tsurii897

Tsurii897 said:

Really wanna know who at Capcom thought "winged snake" would be a good title for it :|

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

Oh, this one looks tough. Agnaktor/Lagiacrus with wings and more snake like? Yep, always knew this is how I would die

MegaWattsAdmin

MegaWatts said:

@JaxonH If I remember correctly, you saved my butt a few times when we last played together - I'm sure you'll survive this one!

HappyHappyist

HappyHappyist said:

I guess the wings come out only when it wants to use them? badass looking beastie either way, can't wait to completely own it.

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

I can already imagine how much of a mobile tail whipping pain this monster will be to fight.

shigulicious

shigulicious said:

I wake up and see some new MH4U news. It's shaping up to be a good day. New monsters are always welcomed and the armor looks cool too. Props to Karen for the Raiders of the lost Ark reference.

outburst

outburst said:

In other Capcom news:
Resident Evil 1 will be remastered for PC, X1 & 360, Ps3 & 4. But no Wii U. :(

Lasermaster123

Lasermaster123 said:

Cool monster, can't wait to kill it multiple times solo and now also in multiplayer!

Hmm... I want them all!!! All the armours (blademaster) and all longswords! The armour looks cool never got the Quropeco armour but this one looks better. I also liked the cowboy style Wroggi armour :D Although Hallowed Jhen FTW! Although this game does not have him!

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

@HappyHappyist No, I live in japan and got MH4 day one. This monster literally does not have wings.

EDIT. I looked at the Japanese description just in case. Nothing about wings at all even just in name. The Japanese name would translate to "squeezing snake dragon", in reference to its method of attack. This looks like a weird translation error or oversight.

galachef55Staff

galachef55 said:

@Tsuchinoko If you click on the source link the Najarala is referred to as the "wing snake wyvern." I wasn't sure if that was referencing something about the monster that wasn't visible in the post's content so I kept that description. The two large flaps running down the sides of its head might also be considered wings after a fashion, but you're right in that it could simply be a translation error.

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

@galachef55 I looked that up. People in the comments section also seem a bit confused. Those things on its back are scale ridges. I think itsa translation mistake. Wings show up nowhere in the Japanese.

GuSolarFlare

GuSolarFlare said:

well, Jaggy is a Bird Wyvern, to me that make just as much sense as this monster being called winged when it has no wings.

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

The wording of the article kinda sounds like they're making fun of it.

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

@GuSolarFlare
They actually do display a lot of bird-like behavior though, and they resemble prehistoric birds quite a bit, which can include feathered dinosaurs. Heck, I'd say they have just as much in common with my parakeets as they do raptors or wolves.:D

The ridges on Najarala's back do sorta resemble stylized wings, so I think the localization team might have just took a few liberties with this one.

Iggly

Iggly said:

I can see a of shenanigans occurring once I hunt this monster with my friends. ;)

Sherman

Sherman said:

Quetzalcoatl!!

Untitled
I seems it's based on the ancient mexican God Quetzalcoatl, the feathered flying snake. It has wings in that illustration, but originally it is just "feathered snake"
Untitled