Poll: Which Is The Best Legend Of Zelda Game?

Posted by Damien McFerran

Hookshot your vote in

The Legend of Zelda is one of Nintendo's most beloved franchises, and has arguably been responsible for some of the best video games ever created. Since the launch of the original game back in 1986, we've seen the series move from 2D to 3D with assured competence, and this year we'll see a crossover release — in the shape of Hyrule Warriors — which will attract an entirely new generation of fans.

Next year, the franchise will take another evolutionary step with an open-world Wii U entry, so we thought there was no better time to look back on this beloved lineage and ask the all-important question: which is the best entry in the Zelda series so far?

Below you'll find a list which contains all key individual Zelda games, though we've made judgement calls in excluding some re-releases while included others that could be considered as remasters, and also opted to just include one of the Four Swords portable releases; the CDi games are also out, because they're terrible and, more importantly, were released on third party hardware.

Cast your vote for the one you believe in your heart of hearts to be the best instalment, and we'll publish the results in the not-too-distant future.

Which is the best Legend of Zelda game? (1,382 votes)

The Legend of Zelda (NES)

Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (NES)

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES)

14%

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Game Boy)

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64)

15%

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX (Game Boy Color)

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (N64)

11%

The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages (Game Boy Color)

The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Game Boy Color)

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (GameCube)

The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures (GameCube)

The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap (Game Boy Advance)

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (GameCube / Wii)

12%

The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (DS)

The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (DS)

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (3DS)

The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Anniversary (DSiWare)

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii)

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD (Wii U)

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (3DS)

Please login to vote in this poll.

Sephirothy

Sephirothy said:

Ocarina of Time and A Link to the Past are my favorite Zelda games. Difficult to compare a 2D with a 3D Zelda game, but Ocarina of Time is the most memorable Zelda game for me.

LunarKnite

LunarKnite said:

Link's Awakening DX all the way. Granted I'm not the biggest fan of 3D Zeldas as I've yet to finish one but LADX is just so good. The memorable characters, the item switching, and the music. Ballad of the Windfish is my favorite Zelda track

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

Twilight Princess for me, but it's safe to assume that the power of nostalgia blindness is stronger...

Kifa

Kifa said:

I don't really understand why Wind Waker HD is a separate entry from Wind Waker. Same game essentially, only with that fetch quest fixed. Shouldn't be considered separate under any circumnstances. Same goes for Ocarina of Time. But hey, what do I know?

Twilight Princess for me anyway - best atmosphere, all collections are optional and Midna rocks as a character. ;]

JeffreyG

JeffreyG said:

Link Between Worlds for me. That game is awesome from the very beginning to the very end. Gameplay, music, graphics (dat 60fps :P), I love it. :)

Takerkaneanite6

Takerkaneanite6 said:

Probably going to get a lot of hate for this, but I prefer Wind Waker, more specifically the Wii U HD remake Then Ocarina Of Time. I appologise to all that like Ocarina Of Time the best. Not saying Ocarina Of Time is a bad game, I like it, but I prefer Wind Waker to it and even Link's Awakening on Gameboy Colour, probably because Link's Awakening DX was my first Zelda game........

ekreig

ekreig said:

The only Zelda games I have beaten so far are Wind Waker, Phantom Hourglass, and Link Between Worlds. Out of those, I'd have to pick Wind Waker. What a gorgeous game.

ikki5

ikki5 said:

Link to the past for me. I love that game, Still play my SNES cartridge but I knew before even voting it would be OOT simply because it is a overrated due to it being the first 3D one... just like a lot of games from that times.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

I voted Wind Waker HD as well. I can't believe OOT N64 is winning the battle with the 3ds version. Have you people not played the 3ds version. Far superior!

TheLordAndrew

TheLordAndrew said:

Skyward Sword had brilliant story, characters and gameplay. The bosses and the combat were brilliant and the graphics were stunning for the Wii.

MajinSoul

MajinSoul said:

Gotta say Twilight Princess. It's the Zelda game I beat the most (I think I've beaten it 4-5 times). It's probably the easiest Zelda game out there, but it's amazing nontheless

SpookyMeths

SpookyMeths said:

Ocarina of Time is my favorite adventure and the 3DS version improved on the original, so OoT 3D gets my vote. Wind Waker HD was a close second.

On a side note, it probably would have been better to combine originals and remakes. To have LA/LADX, OoT/OoT3D, and WW/WWHD competing with themselves for votes will probably skew the data, especially since all three remakes are superior to the originals and the only reason to vote for the originals would be nostalgia anyway. :P

luke88

luke88 said:

Great poll, twilight princess for me. I need glasses but never wear them. When I got that game for xmas I spent hours rummaging for a bent-up old pair to wear in order to appreciate it in all it's glory. Plus it has some of my favourite dungeons; particularly the Laputa-esque sky temple.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

In honor of this poll I'm going to go and listen to the Orchestra CD today and crank track 3!! 😄😍

TantXL

TantXL said:

I have to say A Link Between Worlds, but Spirit Tracks deserves more votes, it was amazing!

Ralizah

Ralizah said:

LttP used to be my favorite, but ALBW honestly did everything even better. The only problem with it was that it was over too soon.

MeddlingIdiotStaff

MeddlingIdiot said:

I had to go with Wind Waker for the GameCube, although the Wii U version did improve on it, you can't beat that first play through.

DiSTANToblivion

DiSTANToblivion said:

If this was in terms of over-rated Zelda games I'd say Twilight Princess. Pacing is awful (in regards to useless items being a reward for long tedious tasks, such as bug collecting or items being rewarded to you at a later stage when you don't even need it), the items are mostly one time uses for a particular dungeon with a few odd moments where they are useful for exploration, the difficulty is far too easy and the dungeon design was incredibly boring.

I loved the story in Skyward Sword but hated the linear design, but at least the dungeons were great in that game.

For me I'd say that it's very close between Majora's Mask and A Link Between Worlds. Majora's Mask for the mature themes and the overall atmosphere in the game, plus tackling side quests while keeping watch over times of the day etc. Dungeon design in that game though... not too good (except Stone Tower). A Link Between Worlds for it's open explorative world.

TantXL

TantXL said:

Where is the Zelda Cd-i games? They are and will forever be the best Zelda games! Everyone agrees!

ajcismo

ajcismo said:

I do annual play-thru's on Wind Waker (my personal fave), Ocarina and Twilight Princess.
Its a fun poll, but asking Zelda fans what their favorite game is in the series is like asking what their favorite ice cream is... you'll get a different answer every time.

sub12

sub12 said:

Ocarina of Time defined the game in 3D

A Link to Past defined the game in 2D

Your choice......

The_Ninja

The_Ninja said:

Wind Waker for GC because it's a good game , and because of nostalgia. After that Majora's Mask, and after that Skyward Sword.

yuwarite

yuwarite said:

It's mostly Millennials ('90 and over borns) voting Twilight Princess, I bet.

AlexOlneyStaff

AlexOlney said:

If I were to vote for my favourite, it would probably be Link's Awakening, but that's purely because it was my first Zelda game. Speaking objectively I had to go with the Wind Waker HD, as it's an undoubtedly superior version to the original, and the game itself keeps many of the Zelda traditions whilst breaking away and doing something really fresh and interesting with the assets and storyline, as well as the timeless art style.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

Twilight Princess by a lot. Especially the Gamecube version. It had pretty much everything I could ask for in a Zelda game. Yes, some of it could've been better. Yes, some of it was done better in other games. But I can't think of another entry in the series that captivated me on so many levels, even on multiple playthroughs.

PvtOttobot

PvtOttobot said:

Way to cheat WW out of it's dominance!!! Adding WW and WW:HD together, it takes a huge 22% of the votes! I love WW so much!!!!

Yosher

Yosher said:

Shouldn't the Master Quest version of Ocarina of Time be on here too? Especially since the 3DS remake and Wind Waker HD are on there too.

ajr12388

ajr12388 said:

If you think TP was the best, shoot yourself in the face. Okay that's excessive, but seriously, its probably one of the most underwhelming Zeldas.

I'd say Majora's Mask is probably the best. 3 day mechanic was like a puzzle in itself, the peculiar characters, the mask switching, etc..it was, and still is, one of the most unique.

Definitely after that is OOT.

AlexOlneyStaff

AlexOlney said:

I tell you what, I think asking people what their least favourite Zelda game is would be interesting. Many people will vote for Zelda 2/Four Swords, but it'll be interesting to see the other results.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

@TripleGamer3K But I can see people liking the cube version of WW better. Where as the 3ds version of OOT was more of a graphics clean up instead of a overhaul.

anders190

anders190 said:

Too hard to choose one favourite. I will make it easier for me and single out the only game on the list that I actually don't like. Zelda II: The Adventures of Link. Didn't like it when I tried it in the early 90's. Haven't enjoyed it later either.

Considering that Zelda III: A Link to the Past was the first game in the series that really got me hooked I have to vote for it in the end. Top notch series, most/all of the games have been really awesome for me. :)

pkee

pkee said:

Really interesting poll! I gave Minish cap some love, I really enjoyed that game.

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

Oops. Voted for Gamecube Windwaker before seeing Wii U Windwaker. Odd that they're separate. Aren't they the same exact game barrng slightly better visuals and the shorter Triforce quest?

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

@AlexOlney I prefer both if those over the average ds offerings. Something about both of them were underwhelming to me. Both were good stand alone games but for the series I thought both were lacking.

SpookyMeths

SpookyMeths said:

@Spoony_Tech I honestly can't think of a single thing the Gamecube version of Wind Waker has over the Wii U version.

@TeeJay Vastly improved visuals, second screen with items and maps, 2x sailing speed, Miiverse integration, shorter Triforce quest, etc, etc.

Weird

Weird said:

This is really really hard... but i say "a link between worlds"
The gameplay was so clean and perfect... it felt amazing like no other Zelda before and it gave you the voice what you wanted to do. And the awesome feature with the wall was great! And of course.. it has a bonus nostalgic point because it plays 100?! years later in the world of "a link to the past" (what was my fav zelda game before!)
2. would be "a link to the past" now and 3. would be "twilight princess" i think <:

Yosher

Yosher said:

@Spoony_Tech It added more than OoT 3D in itself did, with the revamped dungeons. Otherwise you might as well omit the original OoT from the list too. Same with the original Wind Waker.

ajr12388

ajr12388 said:

@PvtOttobot I'm guessing by the wink you are being sarcastic. My personal favorite was Wind Waker, but they ask what my favorite was. They asked me what I thought the best one was.

Liquid_ice

Liquid_ice said:

Twilight Princess, Ocarina of Time 3D and A Link Between Worlds are my favourite games in the series. I voted for Twilight Princess because it was larger and more clever than Ocarina of Time, but also longer and prettier than A Link Between Worlds. All of these three games are really close to each other judging by quality, so it was hard to decide the winner.

World

World said:

I voted Twilight Princess. It was the only Zelda I game I played start to finish (well I quit at the final boss). I've played other ones, but I found they didn't 't suck me in. I could only play them in short bursts.

River3636

River3636 said:

This was a hard vote. Wind Waker remake was phenomenal and excellent. It was like I was playing a new Zelda. I could've totally picked Twilight princess after playing it again. Minishing Cap was a good one. I don't no if I can compare the TopDown versions to the console games of N64-WiiU. Experimental DS stage where you had -spirited tracks and Phantom hourglass were my least favorite, but I still love all of them.

Ioannis

Ioannis said:

1) Twilight Princess
2) Wind Waker
3) Skyward Sword
4) Majora's Mask
5) Ocarina of Time

Mega719

Mega719 said:

I picked Ocerina of Time instead of Twilight Princess can't beat the classics.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I haven't played enough of the Zelda series to say with any accuracy what is the best Zelda. But of the few Zelda games I've played, so far my favorite is easily Ocarina of Time 3D followed by A Link Between Worlds. However, had I played it a lot more, Twilight Princess, my first Zelda game, could have been a strong contender for my favorite Zelda game and may still be whenever I revisit it. I should also play more of Wind Waker HD.

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

@CaviarMeths So then why is the Gamecube version even in this poll if the Wii U version so obviously blows it out of the water? All it seems to do is make it look worse in the polls.

rbmoura85

rbmoura85 said:

I love them all! But to this date i still love A Link to the Past more them the others because of the freedom and the complexity of the dungeons, also because of the great pace and easy to pick up and play...

In 3d zelda dungeons you always have a central hall with four ways to go, and that took out the labirintic complexity of the older 2d dungeons. I miss that...im hoping zelda u will be the one that will finally take the position that alttp has in my perception.

HandheldGuru97

HandheldGuru97 said:

Tricky, tricky. I've beaten Phantom Hourglass, a Link Between Worlds, Fourswords Anniversary and OoT 3D. I've played Skyward Sword, The Legend of Zelda, and just started Windwaker HD.....tough question! I'll think on it and vote on this later!

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

@CaviarMeths And you would be correct but how many people argued that that version needed the graphic facelift the least? People will select it because it still holds up well today!

Octane

Octane said:

The original Wind Waker, sure the HD versions looked a little better, but I think the remake wasn't necessary, especially since Wind Waker has aged better than other Zelda games. I was never bothered by the things they changed in WW HD, so it's Wind Waker for me.

Tsurii897

Tsurii897 said:

@ajr12388 I could write the same exact thing right now...only the other way round. I HATE the time mechanic in Majora's Mask and would actually say it's the worst (if it wasn't for OoT 64).

voted for TP ofc. Sure it was easy as hell, but it's the Zelda game, I had the most fun with and it was the second Zelda, I've ever beaten (after Wind Waker, which was really good, too, but the triforce quest left a rather sour taste in my mouth, took a break for several months before I picked it back up)

I think my favorite 2D game has to be Minish Cap, which was the second 2D Zelda, I've ever beaten actually (after Oracle of Ages). I didn't get to play the older games till a few years ago (maybe around 2008, not entirely sure) and I guess that could be one of many reasons, why I didn't enjoy them quite as much as the ones, I played when they were released.

Samuel-Flutter

Samuel-Flutter said:

Where's Link's Crossbow Training? It could be dominating if included on this list.

But I have to say A Link to the Past is the best, since that game made me fall in love with Zelda in the first place.

Peach64

Peach64 said:

Very tough to pick between Ocarina of Time and The Wind Waker for me. I think Ocarina just edges it because of Wind Waker being a TINY bit let down with the Triforce hunt.

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

For reference I'm 32 and my first Zelda was the original. I voted for Twilight Princess expecting it to get an unfairly low score but for me it's an equal tie between ALttP, TP and OoT or even a 5-way tie with MM and WW added.
Link to the Past is what defined the series for me. It's probably one of the reasons I love games today. It wasn't prohibitively hard for me aged 11 but it wasn't pathetically easy like today's AAA games. I'd love a fully 3D remake.
Ocarina of Time defined 3D adventure games. It's aged badly but the story and puzzle/dungeon mechanics are still amazing. It was an excellent 3D take on the SNES game.
Twilight Princess gets too much hipster hate. It lacked some of the sidequests and side plot magic of previous Zeldas but it was still a fantastic set of dungeons, a beautiful (but overly sparse) Hyrule and great gameplay which still holds up today unlike its N64 cousins.

ShanaUnite

ShanaUnite said:

Nothing beats the original. I remember being blown away by the graphics and the exploration in that game(i played it in 2013 lol).

SavoirFaire

SavoirFaire said:

Wow odd coincidence that I just started last night playing through all the Zelda's I have never played or haven't played in ages. NES/snes for nostalgia, and Minnish cap, tp, ss for new (or never finished).

I have to say it's amazing how much I remember from the original NES version to this day, having not played it in 25 years plus. I could see myself playing it again in 25 years, let's hope my wii u still works then!

Currently link to the past as fav, but I will vote in a few weeks when my journey is done!

Caryslan

Caryslan said:

I am so happy Twilight Princess is winning, that was such a great game!

My top 5 Zelda games are

1. Twilight Princess
2. A Link to the Past
3. Link's Awakening
4. Ocarina of Time
5. The Legend of Zelda

I have never played Wind Waker or Minish Cap, so they are not in the running right now....

Rezalack

Rezalack said:

This was really hard. Ultimately I chose Majora's Mask though. I was torn between that, Skyward Sword and Minish Cap.

GN004Nadleeh

GN004Nadleeh said:

link's awakening is my favorite and i have played all but spirit tracks but that might end up on wii u virtual console so woo hoo! i would like to see link's awakening remade in 3d or even 2d.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

@Yosher I'm 99.9% sure that it was on the original. All the port did was allow you to play it from the start. You had to beat the game in the original to unlock it.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

Just so you know, my second choice would've been Wind Waker (GCN), with my third choice being the original NES Zelda, which is the only entry I still enjoy playing from time to time. I'm pretty bored of Zelda...

DASchenk

DASchenk said:

umm, why are we splitting the games up between versions?

I voted wind waker, but don't yet own a wii u, so obviously wasn't able to cast a vote for the hd edition

Yosher

Yosher said:

@Spoony_Tech Well, I am 100% sure it was definitely NOT in the original. It was unlockable in Ocarina of Time 3D, yes, but not in the original N64 game.

Trippinator

Trippinator said:

TLoZ was fun, but without growing up with it, I don't think I can appreciate as much as other people.
AoL was too hard for me. xD
ALttP was great, but not my favorite.
LA was great too.
OoT was fun, but it doesn't really hold up to the newer 3D Zeldas.
MM feels great, it feels modern, but I didn't like the dungeon design much.
I haven't beaten the Oracles.
WW was fantastic.
MC is my favorite 2D Zelda game.
FSA is a pretty fun game.
FS is not as good as FSA.
TP is awesome amazingly fantastic.
ALBW is a great game.
PH is one of my favorites.
ST I like, but not as much as PH.
SS IS THE BEST THING EVER OMG
I'm going with SS here.

2Sang

2Sang said:

Majora's mask is my personal favorite because it took risks more than any other zelda. It perfected the collectathon craze of the turn of the millenium, and was dark.

Rezalack

Rezalack said:

@2Sand Very well said. There were a lot of games around that time that made collecting feel mundane and a chore. Majora's Mask made it actually interesting. One of the few games where I actually felt I enjoyed collecting every last item, lol.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

@Yosher Ok, looks like you won! Now why did I think it was on the original. It's because it's on the Wii vc version isn't it? That's what has got me confused.

Fabaroo

Fabaroo said:

A Link to the Past got my vote. But the other Zeldas in my top five are:

2.) Ocarina of Time
3.) Link's Awakening DX
4.) Majora's Mask
5.) Link Between Worlds

ModernMARVEL

ModernMARVEL said:

TP FOR THE WIN! It wasn't my first Zelda, but those motion controls must've kept it close to my heart.

Yosher

Yosher said:

@Spoony_Tech I don't have the VC version, but since that one is a port of the N64 original I doubt it's on there either. I can't check though since I don't have the VC version.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

@Yosher Well I swear I seen it in its original form in something N64 related. I would check but I won't be home all day. Sorry for the argument, my memory of games is not all that great at times.

King47

King47 said:

Link's Awakening for me (DX and original).
The second would be Wind Waker HD.

Stu13

Stu13 said:

Went with OoT 3D. That was a really, really hard decision. I could have just as easily voted ALBW or WW HD. Link To The Past has one thing slightly holding it back from those others in my estimation: pink hair.
Majora, Link's Awakening, Minish Cap and the two Wii titles are my second tier. Though it is worth noting that I've never had a chance to completely play through the Oracle games and the two DS games. Soon, though.

Yosher

Yosher said:

@Spoony_Tech The GameCube version just looks exactly the same as the N64 version so I figure that's where your confusion comes from. It's okay though, no worries!

Luna-Harmony

Luna-Harmony said:

Zelda a link to the past. Was the first zelda game i played propley on the snes i owned zelda 1 on nes but was to young to take in what was going on and the reading tx'ed.
Zelda series is amazing .

ThatFlint

ThatFlint said:

How ironic that Twilight Princess got the most votes. It's a good game, but it added nothing to the series.
It was a tough choice, but I chose A Link Between Worlds, because that game actually moved away from the standard Zelda formula and did something completely new. The fact that you could choose in which order you wanted to go to the dungeons was refreshing, the wall mechanic changed how you could get around, how you solved problems and how you perceived your surroundings when solving puzzles, the item-renting system made rupees more valuable than ever before and there was no handholding! I'm glad they're going this direction.

Furik

Furik said:

As much as I disliked the controls in SS, I'd vote for it just for the storyline. I'd love to be typical and vote for OoT just because it was a game changer for the Zelda series but I'll just go ahead and vote TP just because.

SanderEvers

SanderEvers said:

My top 5:

The Windwaker (Wii U / GC shared spot for the fact I like the HD version as much now as I did with the original)
A Link Between Worlds
Skyward Sword
Spirit Tracks
A Link to the past

KeithTheGeek

KeithTheGeek said:

@ThatFlint When I voted OoT had more votes than TP, even not counting the 3D version...and if you add together both versions of the Wind Waker, that game is currently higher than TP also. I don't see the point in splitting the game up between versions, but eh....

I voted for the Wind Waker HD, although A Link Between Worlds is a CLOSE second. Those two games captured me in a way that only OoT can compare to. While I think ALBW has tighter gameplay, a game isn't just the gameplay...there's also other factors to consider, and WW is simply a gorgeous game, aesthetically and story-wise. It had more of an impact on me, I suppose.

Cloud02

Cloud02 said:

God Twilight Princess I remember the hype and my wait for it to come out and still have it for my Gamecube, awesome game all round.

ZenTurtle

ZenTurtle said:

Link's Awakening (DX) is the purest expression of Zelda, balancing adventure, action and an odd sense of humour. It's not my absolute favourite (that goes to Wind Waker, before the redesign in terms of the 3d games or Minish Cap in terms of the 2d games) but it is the best. And always will be.

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

After the terrible edits introduced in Ocarina Of Time version 1.2, the game fell from my favorites. The new Fire Temple music is a garbled mess and the new Gerudo symbol looks awful, especially on the Mirror Shield.

...That said, I voted for Oracle Of Ages.

Shambo

Shambo said:

This is next to impossible.

The ones I loved most and why:

-Link's Awakening (DX): my first very own game (non-DX), brought tears to my eyes several times, recently again (for nostalgic reasons during the opening scene and at some other parts of the game, the moment I remember to have found out the truth about the island and the consequences of the wakakaning on my first playthrough back in the day, and the special ending for the first time).

-Majora's Mask: obviously the very dark mood of the game.

-Minish Cap: Ezlo, the music, and the beautiful bright sprites. To name a few reasons.

But I also Love (capital L) Windwaker (HD), Four Swords Adventures, Skyward Sword, Link to the Past, Link Between Worlds, Ocarina of Time (3D), Twilight Princess (preferably on GC), Spirit Tracks, Oracle of Ages,...

Well, if you didn't guess it by now: I'm a Zelda fan. My collection is quite large.

P.S.: voted Link's Awakening DX. The more beautiful version of the one that started it for me, started gaming as a whole for me, and still one of the best games ever in my opinion. And it was portable, no less!

Mr_Video

Mr_Video said:

The original Wind Waker for me, it's graphics still hold up incredibly well and it was the game to introduce me into the series, so I suppose nostalgia also has something to do with it...That and I didn't like using the Gamepad too much in the HD remake. Hopefully the Gamecube adapter will fix that problem for me.
I'm actually a little surprised how many people are voting for WW, a few years ago it was rare to find anyone that would consider it their favorite Zelda game...

WanderingPB

WanderingPB said:

Wind Waker…i love the whole franchise and every game is unique to me but Wind Waker is just the one i feel in love with even though the first Zelda game i played was the golden cartidge on the NES…storywise though Skyward Sword is truly special

sleepinglion

sleepinglion said:

Not just nostalgia, I love A Link to the Past. I revisit it almost yearly and love its story, graphical style, and musical score (most of the themes that debut here are still used in Zelda titles today). It was a close-ish tie with Ocarina of Time... but I'm a sucker for a short, pink-haired Link running into chickens.

Ryno

Ryno said:

A Link To The Past all the way. Plus, the picture used for this article is from A Link to the Past! Its the one game I try to play once a year. P

Turbo857

Turbo857 said:

Twilight Princess is my favorite but Skyward Sword has the best combat in the series. Really hope this new Zelda game will continue the 1:1 swordplay mechanic.

Vermithrax

Vermithrax said:

They shouldn't have split the vote between versions of the same game. With that being said anyone who said Windwaker was best on GameCube or that Ocarina was better on N64 is lying and being a hipster.

SamirMalik

SamirMalik said:

@SphericalCrusher My first Zelda game was Wind Waker. The best one I played was Twilight Princess on the GCN. Especially the side quests to teach you new moves. That was a game changer. And not to mention the story, the creativity in the bosses and dungeons as well as sassy Midna. And that 4 part final fight was just epic! Especially its climax battle! I just kept playing that again and again. Not just the battle but the whole story.

Expa0

Expa0 said:

Link to the Past & Majora's Mask are easily best of the bunch (still not anywhere near to being top tier games though)

Minish Cap, Zelda 2 & Wind Waker are okay

I couldn't care less about the rest.

FilmerNgameR

FilmerNgameR said:

I've only played Oot 3D, Link's Awaking DX, Four Sword's Anniversary, and the first Zelda. I want to play all of the Zelda's though they all look amazing but of course I voted for Oot 3D!

Finntendo

Finntendo said:

I voted for Ocarina of Time but it's sharing the first place with Link to the Past. Since I dind't own NES but SNES, LTTP has special place in my heart.

I also like the Wind Waker a lot so it is #3

Barely_Able

Barely_Able said:

Where is LTTP GBA that included the original 4 Swords? If the other remakes can be on their then this should as well.

themac2001

themac2001 said:

Ugh, look at all the OoT fanboys. For me, I voted for the definitive Zelda, A Link To The Past.

kingston589

kingston589 said:

Links awakeining was my first and for awhile ocarina 3d was my favorite. But wind waker hd trumps both of them.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

Is a Link to the Past loads easier than Links Awakening or is it only loads easier if you played Links Awakening first like I did. (Not a single part of it that required any thought whatsoever).

It took me less than half a day to finish. (I remember it well because it was the only time I was forced to go to Church on Christmas Day due to my younger brother singing something there. It wasted lots of the day and I still finished it that day).

Yomerodes

Yomerodes said:

@Spakiness @TeeJay @Kifa

You have to consider that there are many people here that don't have a Wii U, and have never played (and maybe never will play) Wind Waker HD. If they believe that Wind Waker is the best Zelda, they need an option to choose it in the original way they played it. ERGO the two options.

RedBeanPorridge

RedBeanPorridge said:

i'm gonna have to say spirit tracks. The game just felt so endearing to me and just wasn't like any other zelda game. Link and zelda shared such great chemistry in this game, even if this incarnation of zelda was a bit anime girl-esque, I still loved them and most of the other characters in it. A highly underrated zelda game. I recommend anyone who hasn't played this game go and get yourselves a copy right now. Ocarina of time you can step a side, cuz spirit tracks is gonna run you over otherwise.

bobbypaycheque

bobbypaycheque said:

I was torn between so many of these games. Impossible to choose just one but I'm really enjoying Wind Waker HD right now so I went with that. No wrong choice here though.

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

A Link Between Worlds. I always liked A Link to the Past better than Ocarina of Time, but then Between Worlds came along and one-upped A Link to the Past. I was kind of torn as I'm sure many of you were though. This series has no shortage of masterpieces.

@JeffreyG Same here! I think ALBW really was better than ALttP which is impressive considering that ALttP was one of my childhood favorites.

FX29

FX29 said:

A Link to the Past gets my vote.
Also I find it funny how the 3DS version of OoT has a lower voting percentage than the N64 version. I understand the impact the N64 version had but the 3DS version in my opinion is far superior.

KTT

KTT said:

I haven't played many games from the LoZ franchise, but I did play: Link's Awakening and DX, both Oracle games, the first game, OoT 3D, Link to the past and Link between words. Only 2 of them can be chosen for being the best, in my opinion: OoT3D and Link's Awakening. While Link's Awakening is a very good game, it has it's restrictions. Oot3D is basicaly THE game I would make. It's perfect. Probably I will never surpass it, if I got the chance to create my own 3D-environment game. I have never played the N64 version so I don't have 'nostalgia googes'. It's simply the most perfect game I've played.

Emaan

Emaan said:

I'm always going to consider Wind Waker and Twilight Princess as my two favorite games in the series. Skyward Sword and Ocarina of Time follow closely behind that.

DiscoGentleman

DiscoGentleman said:

I voted for OoT 3D. It's superior in every way to the original. The only way that it could be made better is if it were on a home console and you had the comfort of using a detached controlled and a big screen to play it on.

ULTRA-64

ULTRA-64 said:

I voted oot (64) because I distinctly remember everything that happened in it. I've loved every Zelda game I've played (console's only =( ) but I forget most of what happened in them except for the basic story. Except for ocarina which was my first emotional experience with a game!! I'm worried about skyward sword, I stopped playing it about half way through and haven't gone back yet. I like it but I've NEVER not finished a Zelda I started before!?!

TheHeroOfWinds

TheHeroOfWinds said:

Link's Awakening DX and OOT were both amazing experiences for me and I also really enjoyed Twilight Princess and ALBW but I think I'm gonna have to vote for Link's Awakening DX.

Gamercake

Gamercake said:

If you count Wind Waker and Wind Waker HD as one, then it has the highest total, and rightly so. The Wind Waker had great dungeons and graphics, and even though it was a bit short, what was there was the best in the series.

Twilight_Crow

Twilight_Crow said:

All Zeldas have its good things and bad things, and people have different tastes. And then we have nostalgia. So, there is no BEST Zelda. And, of course, they have changed and improved with technology, so if you want a completely objetive best Zelda, the list up there shouldn't include any older versión game until, let's say, WW.

But imo, if you want a Best Zelda, you should contemplate the impact the game had during the time it came out, then the list would include only the original titles, no remakes, or games with the exact same engine, they are better true, but they had not the same impact, because many people already know the games, and there is not real creation or innovation.

So I think the list should be: The Legend of Zelda, A Link to the Past, Link's Awakening, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword. Yes, as objective as I am trying to be I am human, and this is still only my opinion. Sorry if the amazing game that change your life is not there.

So based on my own experience not only with the games but also with other players at the time the games came out, I remember a lot of more fuss about Ocarina Of Time and Twilight Princess when they came out than any other Zelda. However I think A Link to the Past, even if not as talked about, won its rename through actual gameplay instead of hype.

Now we all have to agree that when it came to technology there are two games that excel: the original The Legend of Zelda that did incredible things with the little technology they had, and Ocarina of Time that gave the jump to 3D and left a such mark that many of its mechanics are still used in Zelda games to this day.

How much fun you got from each game is completely subjective, so, and because I bet the good times the game give to most of the people here is why they voted for the game, I'll use the poll above. At the moment, A Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess seem to be the most liked.

So, which is the best Zelda objectively? [Not Enough Data]

Oh, darn, whatever. This poll should be called Which is the most favorite Legend of Zelda Game anyway.

Personally, my favorite Zelda is Ocarina of Time, is it the best? Heck should I know, the thing has aged horribly, but is still fun as Tartarus. The 3D version is better obviously and if you want to pick a version you should pick that one (unless, like me, you don't like playing that specific game on a little screen, you take too much time and the 3DS runs out of battery and the circle pad sux[end rant]).

/me Voted for the original Ocarina of Time.

Pahvi

Pahvi said:

Minish Cap for me. It's the latest 2D Zelda I've played and I rank it higher than LttP and Zelda 1, and 3D Zeldas (OoT, WW SD, TP, SS) are not my cup of tea.

Darknyht

Darknyht said:

Link's Awakening is probably my favorite because I spent so much time playing it growing up. I was always amazed at the music in it, and loved playing it with headphones on. It only got better once they released the Super Gameboy adapter for the SNES.

Travelinghermit

Travelinghermit said:

My favorite would have to be Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons, but since you can only choose one I chose Ages.

TheMentalNomad

TheMentalNomad said:

It's weird that this is a "best" vote, as opposed to a "favorite" one, just observing how many picks each get. It's just semantics, I guess, but it bothers me. People are just picking what they played as a kid, explaining why Ocarina is in first as of right now and not Ocarina 3D, which is clearly the best way to play it.

My favorite is WindWaker HD, but I wouldn't say that it's the "best." If I had to, I'd honestly say that goes to A Link Between Worlds, for what it's trying to do for the Zelda series.

outburst

outburst said:

Nah, let the remasters separate from the poll to know which versions are most preferred. You could just add/combine the percentage later.

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

Definitely WInd Waker. Everything is just perfect: the setting, the character design, the graphics, the charm, the exploration, the story. Too bad you guys decided to split up between the Game Cube and Wii U versions, though - there are small improvements on the HD version, yes, but they're largely the same game.

NodesforNoids

NodesforNoids said:

I'd say my own personal Top 5 would be:
1) Twilight Princess (I like linear experiences with exploration reserved for side quests)
2) A Link Between Worlds (It does everything A Link to the Past does, but with a more realistically skewed world map, a better use of rupees and good progression)
3) A Link to the Past (The music, bosses and gameplay is even or better than ALBW and the storyline is classic)
4) Link's Awakening (Ganon isn't the boss, incredibly diverse gameplay, intuitive world exploration)
5) Ocarina of Time / 3D (Timeless story, streamlined character development, classic ending, great original music thct integrates into the gameplay)
Best Zelda?
A Link Between Worlds.
It takes A Link to the Past and improves on it in every way.
I love all 5 of these and many more Zelda titles and many do not enjoy Twilight Princess, but like Mario, not everyone agrees that the first (3D Zelda in this case) was the best.
Heck, I enjoyed NSMBU more so than either Mario 1 or 2, so what does that say?

eze84

eze84 said:

super tough decision, went with wind waker hd. Fixed any issues I had with the original, however, I just wonder if they should be counted separately.

NodesforNoids

NodesforNoids said:

I also agree with many on here. While I can skew my opinion to objectively state what I believe to be the best Zelda and not just my favorite, many aren't taking that approach.
It also seems like alot of people haven't played certain Zelda titles, so that skews the poll that much further towards personal favoritism.

Zizzy

Zizzy said:

Ocarina of Time. Hands down, best story in the series. Majora's Mask is close for second.

MussakkuLaden

MussakkuLaden said:

It's always difficult to decide between Link's Awakening and Majora's Mask. Depends on the criteria I apply, but really I don't favor any more than the other. Number 3 is Ocarina of Time. While it has undoubtedly not quite the same status as MM or LA for me, it would however be unfair to call it a less great game.
Unfortunately, after MM no Zelda game of true greatness has been released. The three home console titles all had their individual strengths and shortcomings. I consider WW (no matter if HD or not) a low point in the series, though not a bad game as such, and since then it got gradually better. But SS still is far from the quality of the N64 Zeldas for me. All the handheld titles after LA were simply "very good" but not outstanding (leaving aside Spirit Tracks and A Link Between World's, which I haven't played yet). Personally I find nothing good in A Link to the Past and the NES Zelda's I cannot quite evaluate as I only played them way after release.
So for me, LA is the first truly great game in the series, and is it was followed by OoT and MM, the sum of those three games is the pinnacle of the series. Since then, each entry pursues to reach these heights again, though none really did. However, recent developments make me optimistic that it's still possible to happen in the future. WW, TP and SS were not fundamentally inferior anyway. Each had at least the potential in it to compete with the N64 classics. Unfortunately, each appeared in one way or the other unfinished.

Kevlar44

Kevlar44 said:

ALTTP is a no brainer for me, but Minish Cap is my darkhorse as it's very underrated and arguably just as good.

onery

onery said:

Have to say I've a soft spot for Link's Awakening DX for the GBC and Ocarina of Time for the N64 as these were my first introduction into the universe... however the vote eventually goes to OOT (though I really really love Awakening) as I just have too many nostalgic memories exploring the hell out of that damn world. The Shadow Temple and it's boss stands out clearly in my memory more of a sort of nightmare and the first time you beat the game... dat feeling... can't ever recapture that.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

They should have released the Master Quest (As from the Gamecube bonus disk) as Ocarina of Time.

(Maybe the other one as Ocarina of Time - Easytype or something like that).

sketchturner

sketchturner said:

1.Majora's Mask
2.Link's Awakening
3.Adventure of Link

This poll should have been done without differentiating different versions of the same game. Based on that, WindWaker is clearly winning at this point.

Twilight_Crow

Twilight_Crow said:

^Er... no. Actually both OoT are still winning 19% vs. both WW 17%.
Yes, I am keeping track, I have OCD and nothing to do atm. :P

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

They're all good.

Speaking of Zelda, I need to go back and finish Skyward Sword. I picked Twilight Princess (and it was a hard choice), but there's so many I considered picking- even the Four Swords Adventures on Gamecube. I've got a feeling once I finish Skyward Sword (IF I ever finish), that'll be my new favorite.

Mikeopferman

Mikeopferman said:

Link to the Past was my favorite till Ocarina was redone on the 3DS. Though, I voted for the N64 version because here would never have been a 3DS version without it. Plus, I love the first time I fought Gohma in OoT. Great Intro!

erv

erv said:

Great poll. I love wind waker hd, though maybe the gamecube and wii u versions should be one and the same vote?

Majora's mask and wind waker nailed it for me, anyway.

ted-k

ted-k said:

Majora's Mask for me, because of the interesting game mechanics and dark vibe. I think it had by far the coolest story of any Zelda game. Twilight Princess is a close 2nd. It still feels like the most epic Zelda game. Wind Waker, Link's awakening, Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time would all be tied for 3rd. I'm still not sure why but Skyward Sword and Link between Worlds just felt lacking somehow to me, even though they're both still great games. I must confess I have yet to play the Oracle games and Minish Cap.

Kirk

Kirk said:

I think when you view the results they should be shown in order from high to low so it's easier to see what's going on...

PS. Although I've only actually full completed Ocarina and Skyward Sword I voted for A Link to the Past because I think it's the game that holds up the best. One day I might actually get around to completing it...

I have a feeling I might have given A Link Between World more due A. If I'd played it and B. If the graphics were just a little bit more polished and had less of that cheap shiny/plasticky look to them at times with some dodgy textures too.

FragRed

FragRed said:

This was a real hard poll to choose from. I went with Ocarina of Time in the end. Don't know what it is, but at that point in time Nintendo were on form with their 3D releases in games. Think they understood the evolution from 2D to 3D much better than anyone else.

That said I really loved Wind Waker HD.

eltomo

eltomo said:

A Link to the Past. My first real Zelda experience, I'll never forget it or stop playing.

JCnator

JCnator said:

A Link to the Past is certainly my best Zelda game to date, followed by Ocarina of Time. Every time I play the SNES classic, I never seem to get bored. It just ages so well I might as well call it a timeless classic!
While Ocarina of Time was revolutionary by the time it got released on N64, the gameplay starts showing its age even in its 3DS remastering, mostly due of its occasional camera problems. Thankfully, they aren't as aggravating as Majora's Mask does. In the latter, the gameplay is so action-oriented that the actual camera system reused from the previous iteration and the relatively low framerate caused some major annoyances through certain parts of the game. Snowpeak Temple and Great Bay Temple posed me too many unnecessary frustrations on the more action-oriented sections, which were enough for me to stop playing at this point and having hard time to come back. A remake of Majora's Mask would easily solve these aforementioned issues and potentially help it to become one of the best Zelda games to date.

Link506

Link506 said:

Hard to say. Either skyward sword or twilight princess. It was so close, that I Just Eni-menie-miney-moed it. :-P

KodyDawg

KodyDawg said:

A lot of people have said that the first you played is usually your favorite, and that definitely holds true to me. My first was the 3D edition of OoT, and it will most likely remain my favorite eternally. Though I haven't played MM yet, so my opinion could change once I do so.

thehoppypoppy

thehoppypoppy said:

Link's Awakening DX will always hold a special place in my heart. It was the first Zelda game I ever beat. Ballad of the Windfish FTW!

I loved Oracle of Ages too. Still need to play Oracle of Seasons...

AshFoxX

AshFoxX said:

It was a toss up for me between LttP (my idea of the perfect 2D Zelda game and the first I nearly completed), Links Awakening DX (first Zelda game I ever actually completed) and WWHD (which I have only put down a few times when I got it with Mario Kart 8, mostly to PLAY Mario Kart 8, but I love sailing and exploring in this game.) In the end, I went with my gut and said Link to the Past.

Meika

Meika said:

So difficult... Was between TP and WW for me. WW won in the end, more memorable and has nostalgia value. ^^;;

ZenTurtle

ZenTurtle said:

I don't understand why so many people think OoT is some sort of divine gift from the gods...

Phelpzz

Phelpzz said:

A Link Between Worlds. It got all that is good in A Link to the Past and makes it better.

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

Link between worlds for me. It's the only Zelda game that was good enough for me to want to finish it.

Zeldalover

Zeldalover said:

1) Ocarina of Time
2) Link's Awakening DX
3) A Link to the Past
4) Majora's Mask
5) The Wind Waker HD
6) Oracle of Ages
7) Twilight Princess / The Minish Cap

Hamguar

Hamguar said:

It looks about right. You figure on top would be LttP, OoT, MM, TP, WW and SS. TP for me but honestly It's like saying pick your favorite child (not really but you know what I'm getting at). They all are amazing games.

FritzFrapp

FritzFrapp said:

Always thought The Wind Waker was the best game of all time. I still feel that way, whether HD or not.

WiiUPS4Gamer

WiiUPS4Gamer said:

Most of the zelda games were good except for a few like MM i just never liked that zelda game and it is not the very worst but it just was not that great to me but if other people like the game that's awesome but my fav i A link to the past and the first game..

B3ND3R

B3ND3R said:

Ocarina of Time 3D.. I was SO HYPED to get to play one of my childhood favorites on the go. Plus, it looks amazing!

ThatFlint

ThatFlint said:

@KeithTheGeek The gameplay is the most important part of a game, though, and I'm glad they focused more on the gameplay this time. I liked both games' plots and I liked them equally as much. I did like Wind Waker's art style more, but A Link Between Worlds's level (or dungeon) design is better, so my opinion still stands.

Genesaur

Genesaur said:

The very fact that Skyward Sword has more votes than the original Legend of Zelda makes me very, very concerned for the future of the series... as well as humanity.

bonham2

bonham2 said:

No Zelda 2 love? I can't vote for it because Ocarina of Time is my all-time favorite game, but Zelda 2 is up there for me. Definitely in my top 6 or 7.

xj0462

xj0462 said:

man.. witch do i choose? there all great! except for zelda 2 that was mediocre at best

MeWario

MeWario said:

I can't :( How could I possibly decide between Ocarina of Time, A Link Between Worlds, Wind Waker and A Link to the Past?? It's not possible!

MeWario

MeWario said:

Oh and I'm sorry but 12 percent of you are crazy! I know it's your opinion and that it's not my right to say you're wrong but you are wrong! Twilight Princess is no way near the best Zelda game! Reevaluate your lives people!

DBPirate

DBPirate said:

At this rate, it looks like one of the 3D Zeldas or A Link to the Past are going to be the victors.

Ootfan98

Ootfan98 said:

Why are the Phillips CDI games not included in the vote?

On a serious note, I think all Zelda games are fantastic, but I think Ocarina raised the bar the most

soma

soma said:

Ocarina of Time N64. I haven't played the 3DS version. Don't understand people saying it has aged horribly? I still play it from time to time and have more fun with it that Skyward Sword or Twilight Princess.

In fact not too long ago I played The Legend of Zelda Nes for the first time and even had more fun than those games I mentioned, which were good but with a LOT of boring parts.

WolfyWardark

WolfyWardark said:

I have played and completed pretty much all of the Zelda games listed, and loved them all. But for me, Twilight Princess is my favourite.. although only by a whisker! :)

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

I came in here knowing Ocarina would win but while I enjoyed Ocarina I think Twilight Princess is an overall better game.

I-U

I-U said:

A Link Between Worlds for me. Best paced Zelda game in my opinion with a nice flow of action, an inviting degree of freedom and puzzle designs that are significantly less opaque. It's the only Zelda game I've completed without using a guide and that felt so rewarding to accomplish. I definitely should go through the game again sometime soon.

siavm

siavm said:

I would say three are at my top. Them being ocarina of time, majoras mask, and wind waker. I still need to play the first two games. Didn't have a nintendo system until the late 90s so I missed a lot of games on snes and nes. I do have them on 3ds and thanks to club nintendo I have Link to the past. So after I played those I could maybe update how I feel but I doubt it. It is weird though I have all the Zelda games right now expect the gb and the two capcom did. I also I need to play the new one on 3ds.

JimLad

JimLad said:

Ocarina of Time and A Link to the Past.
Not only are they both as close as you can get to the perfect video game, but they were so far ahead of anything out at the time it's not even funny.

From a purely gameplay perspective though, Twilight Princess remains the most epic and fun.

MuchoMochi

MuchoMochi said:

I don't see why there should be a separation of the Wind Waker and the HD remake. The HD remake is improved and has better visuals, but it's the same game.

Patchouli

Patchouli said:

Where is Link's Target practice? It's a beautiful game, with by far the best story and mechanics.

AlexSora89

AlexSora89 said:

Keeping in mind I can't really decide aside from keeping out the games I didn't like, I voted for Spirit Tracks. My name would go to Phantom Hourglass, as the only thing that kept Spirit Tracks from being "perfect" were the Bomb Trains that pretty much screwed everything up - other than that, Spirit Tracks "wins" in several other departments such as the return of an actual land in the Wind Waker-verse, a magical musical instrument, and what might be considered the most modern transportation in the series so far, that is, the train itself (which is cool, and that alone makes the game a bit more awesome). In other words: I gave Spirit Tracks its vote because it deserved it, even though the Bomb Trains almost made it lose to its maritime predecessor.

Airola

Airola said:

The first Zelda is my favorite. No other Zelda game has been able to present such a great sense of mystery and dread.

I love The Adventure of Link too.

I feel that A Link to the Past wasn't really a refined version of the first Zelda, but a whole new type of a Zelda game. And after that and Ocarina of Time, all Zeldas have been different versions of each other. In my opinion, the first two Zeldas are their own entities and should not be compared to the others. They are their own "genres" of Zelda-games that haven't been done ever again since they were released.

daniruy

daniruy said:

I hesitated between Ocarina of Time N64 and Ocarina of Time 3DS. The reason is that the 3DS version is so good and polished, and has that Master Quest as well, that I consider it better than the original.

But this one could not exist without my beloved N64 version. That's why I voted in the original.

Kyloctopus

Kyloctopus said:

I've played almost all of them, but I've only completed 3. :/
So really I can only decide from Ocarina of Time 3D, Phantom Hourglass and Four Swords Aniversary.
I'll go with Ocarina of Time 3D. Had I completed Wind Waker HD or Link's Awakening however, I'd probably pick one of those.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

I'm really sick of Ocarina of Time dominating these polls...it really doesn't do anything that other entries didn't do better. I don't care if it caused a revolution, it's not that good a game.

Jllanos22

Jllanos22 said:

My favorite Zelda game is twilight princess since it was my first Zelda game I played. Hoping to see the new ideas for the legend of Zelda. You can imagine the future Zelda games just by watching the assassins creed games. Little by little, they bring the story to now modern days. The last Zelda game that took a step forward to the future was spirit tracks witch you travel a more modern hyrule kingdom by trains. Even if this happens, there is no doubt that they will make it as the other ones. You always gonna see wizards, zoras, goron,fairy's and all the things that make Zelda special.

Usagi-san

Usagi-san said:

@CanisWolfred So people should vote for another game because the one they actually like the best gets too much love? or because you don't like it?

I actually hold the opposite view, of the 3d games I don't feel that other entries have done things quite as well as Oot did.

SirMiki

SirMiki said:

For me:
1. Twilight Princess
2. skyward Sword
3. Windwaker
4. Ocarina of Time
5. A Link to the Past

Jahir

Jahir said:

I've loved every Zelda game I've played but I gotta say TP and WW are the best ones in my book. I chose TP because of the atmosphere, the great music an because I've never felt the same playing a videogame but man it was a hard choice

And I must say that I prefer Link's Awakening over all of the 2D Zelda games, Minish Cap is really close alongside TLoZ... Yup, I don't think LttP is THAT good, I really like the game but I don't feel it as epic/memorable as the others. Maybe it's as @unrandomsam said and I spoiled myself playing Link's Awakening first.

Also, Zelda II is an awesome game too, once you don't care about how difficult it is (it's not that hard) you can really enjoy the great game it is. I played from start to finish and I don't regret

EpicJonah

EpicJonah said:

Majoras's Mask. It was just so dark and creepy and unlike Nintendo that it was amazing

EpicJonah

EpicJonah said:

epicdude12302

epicdude12302 said:

I said Link's Awakening DX because it's the first Zelda game that I ever played and is still my favorite.

Interneto

Interneto said:

"The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Anniversary (DSiWare) - 0%"
"The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures (GameCube)- 0%"
lol

Ridley

Ridley said:

Bah, the CD-i games are more worthy of getting listed than a reworked rerelease. I want Gwonam to transition to the new games.

yokokazuo

yokokazuo said:

Accidentally voted Wind Waker HD >.< it is a great game of course(what Zelda isn't? Haha), but I meant to tap on Majora's Mask. And Link'sAwakening DX would be second place(only 2%? :()

InsertTokenz

InsertTokenz said:

My top 3 favorite Zelda games are:

1) A Link to the Past (The game that showed me the greatness of the Zelda series)
2) Four Swords Adventure (Multiplayer goodness with classic 2D overview-style Zelda gameplay)
3) A Link Between Worlds (An excellent followup to A Link to the Past)

after that, any/all of the other games would take the 4th favorite spot.

That being said, I find the idea of polling for the "best" Zelda game to be kinda impossible at this point, given the series is chock full of games that pretty much are on par in terms of overall quality. Because of this, everyone can only really chose their "favorite" game, and not so much the "best" game, objectively speaking. The series overall is just that damn good.

Apple5

Apple5 said:

For it's time and the impact it had when it was released...it has to be Ocarina of Time. Voted for the N64 version over the 3DS version for this reason. One of the most complete Zelda experiences. Saying that, I love them all.

Beau_Skunk

Beau_Skunk said:

Don't think it was a good idea to include remakes of the same game to me. (Like the N64 & 3DS versions of "Ocarina.") They're pretty much the same game.

As for me, favorite 3D Zelda, "Ocarina," favorite 2D Zelda, "Link's Awakening." Though, honestly, I love all the Zelda games. Even Zelda 2.

Ferg

Ferg said:

Still spins me out that there were only 4 Zelda games released before Ocarina came out

Greninja

Greninja said:

@Nintendo_Ninja
The fact that you can't invert the y axis makes this one unplayable for me. I even bought the wind waker hd wii u bundle before finding out that they somehow overlooked allowing to change the y axis in 3rd person. You can do it in first person, but not 3rd. Craziness.

PlywoodStick

PlywoodStick said:

The inevitable question I come to when I think of the question this poll poses: does anything beat Link to the Past or Ocarina of Time for their time periods, while still appealing to my heart?

I might be biased, since I have not played every iteration in the series, but I am going to put in a vote for Link's Awakening. (Even though objectively, I would say Link to the Past was the best / my favorite for it's time.)

PlywoodStick

PlywoodStick said:

Link's Awakening / DX should be combined into a single poll entry, in my opinion. There are only a few minor differences between the two games - GBC version has the two bonus armors, bonus dungeon, and removed screen edge glitching and other game breaking glitches.

Oracle of Seasons and Time should also be combined into a single entry, since the two titles were designed to be played back to back, not just as a singular experience between the two. The hardware limitations (and perhaps economic / marketing expedience) are the only reasons the two titles are not combined together. They were both worked on by the same team.

springNexxis

springNexxis said:

...What IS my favorite Zelda game? Strangely, it's a question I've never answered, despite it being among my favorite franchises.

SpookyMeths

SpookyMeths said:

@CanisWolfred It's very delightful that Ocarina of Time being preferred over Twilight Princess makes you angry. Warms my cold, icy heart.

But yeah, OoT is a better game. I love saying that.

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

Love how spread out the vote is. Sometimes I love the first one the most as a pure gaming experience, but I voted for Ocarina. I wouldn't want to give any of them up though. :)

PlywoodStick

PlywoodStick said:

I remember Link's Awakening being #1 in the Nintendo Power polls for years after it's release in Volume 50. Nothing could top it on Game Boy (except for those who preferred Pokemon), and few titles topped it on home consoles. Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time both also stayed up in the top 3 of their respective consoles for years, but neither stayed at #1 for the duration of the "Power Polls", as Link's Awakening nearly did.

Link's Awakening is an underrated classic at this point. Rather than Majora's Mask, Link's Awakening is probably the next most deserving Zelda title for a full-featured remake on 3DS. Everything about the game, despite the limitations of the Game Boy, bore the hallmark of a classic title. The soundtrack is no exception: Tal Tal Heights, to this day, is my favorite Zelda overworld BGM. (Look up the "Mega Man X remix" of the song for a treat!)

Even though Link's Awakening may not be the most feature-packed, item-packed, nifty technology - packed entry in the series... It is one of the first titles in gaming history to prove that portable console gaming does not necessarily entail forsaking quality, just because of the platform's limits. Even to this day, the game is better than a lot of home and portable console releases, despite the game's issues (which are mostly due to the hardware limitations).

It really is amazing how massive the game is, considering the time period it came out, and the miniscule data storage available. I don't know whether that proves how good it is, or how pathetic many modern games are.

JellySplat

JellySplat said:

I'm a big fan of Wind Waker. I've beaten it like, 17 times! It's my go-to game when I have nothing else to play. (That and Super Mario Sunshine)

King_Johobo

King_Johobo said:

Every Zelda game I have played has been a blast! Such a great franchise and it'd be awesome to play each game on its respective console. Thanks to the virtual console I can now play all of them! Yay! I voted Majora's Mask because it was so unique :)

LtAldoRaine

LtAldoRaine said:

For me it's tricky choosing between Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. I voted on WW, but I'm still not quite sure.

Also, I think it's kind of pointless including the enhanced versions (WW HD, OOT 3D) in the poll. If the enhancements made someone like the game more than their second favorite, they would vote on it anyway.

Jcdbengals

Jcdbengals said:

Had the Minish Cap been longer, say 3 additional dungeons (seriously 5 dungeons in a top down zelda and one final dungeon...?), it would be my favorite. As it stands, twilight princess is my favorite, though it was waaaaay too easy. Skyward sword recycled bosses which i always hate in games.

PlywoodStick

PlywoodStick said:

The enhanced versions of Zelda games, HD or 3D, changed multiple gameplay concepts which make them significantly stand out from their source. Thus, it makes sense to include them separately in a poll. Link's Awakening DX, on the other hand, literally has almost no gameplay difference from the original. In today's terms, it was basically an overpriced, small, optional DLC pack. (Not like there was any economically viable way around that at the time, though...)

As well, the Oracle games are two pieces of a whole on different cartridges. Their methods of exploring the world differ, but they are two halves of the same game, developed and released simultaneously.

jayclayx

jayclayx said:

it is a matter of personal opinions but OMG twilight princess at 12%? that game was garbage

Ps4all

Ps4all said:

If u combine the GameCube and wii u remake, then windwaker comes in 17% for the win. The first is still my favorite.

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

@Yomerodes Funny you should say that. Because....I MYSELF don't have a Wii U. And yet I would have voted for the Wii U version if I had seen it sooner. I loved the original, and the Wii U version is the exact same game but improved. Would logic not dictate that I would enjoy the Wii U version more? I don't have to own a Wii U to know that.

Nathan

Nathan said:

Ocarina Of Time for the win. However, Link's Awakening DX was also very memorable, so it would have to take second place for me, then A Link To The Past.

GhotiH

GhotiH said:

I'm surprised to see the original Ocarina of Time beating Ocarina of Time 3D. I mean, they made the graphics and controls better (two things that did not age well at all), updated Master Quest a bit, and fixed the stupid Iron Boots problem.

But then again, I'm sure people will wonder why I chose the original Wind Waker for this poll and not The Wind Waker HD. To me, the biggest difference between the two is the graphics style, and TWWHD's lighting engine is absolutely hideous!

Assassinated

Assassinated said:

I go Skyward, Windwakers, Twilight, Between Worlds, Hourglass, Ocarina 3D, for my top picks. Then Minish, Awakening Dx, Ocarina classic, original, Tracks, 4 Sword,""adventures, 2.
Never played Past, never finished Oracles or Majora.

Azikira

Azikira said:

I'm sad to see Four Swords Anniversary getting no love. It's a good game guys, and it was totally free!

marakassi

marakassi said:

I vote for Skyward Sword. The game is just superb and the art-style is brilliant.
A Link To The Past would be my second choice. I haven't played them all though.

Nakzul

Nakzul said:

Every single Zelda game is awesome but my all time favorite so far has to be Phantom Hourglass. There's just something special about that game :)

allav866

allav866 said:

My favorite is WWHD, but as for what I think is the best Zelda game, I think that goes to Link Between Worlds.

Vriess

Vriess said:

Twilight Princess! The gameplay, mood, graphics, music, length...all great! Story wise...there are a lot of loop holes, but the rest of the game makes up for that. Ocarina of Time 3D is a close second.

MrGuinea

MrGuinea said:

Twilight Princess was the first game to really astound me throughout the whole game. Everything about it was absolutely awesome. Second would probably have to be Majora's Mask and third would be WindWaker.

Varoennauraa

Varoennauraa said:

Putting Zeldas in strict order is the most difficult game series for me to rate, but if I was threatened to be thrown into a pit filled with spiders if I didn't give an answer, I would probably shout, that Skyward Sword is my all time favorite game. While plummeting into the horrible death.

I especially loved the story, the world, the art, the time stones(which I want to come back in the next game) and the controls of course.

The GamePad would be awesome 'Time Stone Tuner';
Link would stay in his era, but through the GamePad he could see and interact with different times.(or even better, Links companion would be using the GamePad)

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

Ocarina is winning with Wind Waker in second place pleasantly surprised by how close TP is to beating A Link to the Past for third place!

S-Miyahon

S-Miyahon said:

1. Ocarina of Time
2. Twilight Princess
3. Wind Waker
4. Skyward Sword
5. Link to the Past

Chubblings

Chubblings said:

@JaxonH I think you'll enjoy Skyward Sword I don't know if it'll be your favorite (it is my favorite one), but you'll definitely enjoy it. The game gets hated a lot amongst the hardcore Zelda community because it was the newest Zelda game (Zelda cycle). However, many of the complaints are very exaggerated, thus do not believe all the negativity regarding the game. The motion controls, something that was complained about, function properly if you correctly calibrate them. As a matter of fact, they work extremely well,helping make the combat a more interesting affair (it's more than just the waggling seen in Twilight Princess). They really were the definitive controls for a Zelda game for me (so when I was playing Wind Waker HD it felt odd going back to buttons). Graphically, the game pushes the Wii to it's limits and looks incredible. This is due to its impressionist art style, which makes the game look like a beautiful painting set in motion. The story, whilst simple, is very emotional and heart-touching. All of the NPC's and main characters are interesting and motivate you to speak to them or complete whatever side-quest is related with them. The dungeons are all really enjoyable and great, and their new approach to the dungeon design is fresh. Boss fights continue to be easy, yet creative and fun. A notable complaint about the game is its linearity. Unlike Twilight Princess, there is not huge pieces of lands to explore. However, the lands that you do explore, are not as barren as Twilight Princess, and there's many things to do in these lands. I apologize for my long comment, but my intended purpose is that you should definitely finish Skyward Sword and not skip it, as I feel, it is something that once you complete, you won't regret. I don't know how far you are in the game, but if you are early in the game, then you should definitely finish it, as it gets better as you progress. Once you finish the whole game and see everything, it truly is amazing.

arderin64

arderin64 said:

It is pretty much a cliche to do so but I had to vote for Ocarina. That game still gets me on an emotional level every time I play it. It was a close call vs ALTTP. My top 5 would be:
1. Ocarina
2. ALTTP
3. Twilight Princess
4. Wind Waker
5. Skyward Sword
( Link Between Worlds was very close on making the cut).

Findonovan95

Findonovan95 said:

Oracle of Seasons gets my vote (alongside oracle of ages if I could). Although majoras mask and windwaker would be next on the list. Then maybe four swords adventures and twilight princess.

TICGS

TICGS said:

I was split between Majora's Mask, Twilight Princess, and Skyward Sword. I ended up picking skyward sword.

Shotgunryugan

Shotgunryugan said:

Easily Majora's Mask. The game pays attention to everyone, every characters is doing something at a different time and not just stuck in one place for all eternity.

Which definitely makes me care about them a lot more. Especially the Anju & Kafei side quest.

Still waiting on a remake Nintendo.

JJtheTexan

JJtheTexan said:

Other posters may have said this, but I think you really ought to combine the original and remake titles: Ocarina of Time and Ocarina of Time 3D, for example; Wind Waker and Wind Waker HD; Link's Awakening and Link's Awakening DX.

OrangeJuice

OrangeJuice said:

Most people just choose their first Zelda game or first game completed when deciding their favorite Zelda. This is a hard question for me because I love so many Zeldas. Went with Twilight Princess though!

Dreamz

Dreamz said:

I wish the article has emphasized that this poll is what we think the best Zelda game is, not what our favorite Zelda game is. I think that A Link to the Past is the best Zelda game (though to be fair, Windwaker HD wasn't far behind it), and thus it gets my vote. However, my favorite Zelda game is actually Ocarina of Time, followed by the original Legend of Zelda.

Sparx

Sparx said:

Link's Awakening DX, the story really touched me (or at least the concept), I loved ballad of the wind fish, and is the only game I've felt compelled to do a no death run just for a bonus scene which did very little extra yet somehow had a huge impact on me

SKTTR

SKTTR said:

Majora's Mask, still mindblowing. In the 14 years since its release no games were made to include that ingenious time mechanic, right? Such a deep and vivid experience. // Haven't played A Link Between Worlds, unfortunately.

JoakimZ

JoakimZ said:

A Link Between Worlds. I was blown away with how good it was. Especially the fantastic dungeons, which I think are the best Zelda dungeons by far :)

My honorable mentions are A Link To The Past, Link's Awakening, Majora's Mask and Zelda II.
I have played every Zelda game except Spirit Tracks and Skyward Sword, so I guess any one of those could have taken the top spot if I had played them. But most likey not ;P

MussakkuLaden

MussakkuLaden said:

@SKTTR Totally agree with you. In fact, leaving aside any comparisons what is the best Zelda game and things like (as it seems you either love or hate Majora's Mask, whereas, let's say, a ALttP, OoT, or TP have somewhat similar appeals), I think that Majora's Mask is one of the truly outstanding and unique games in video game history overall. Sure, a OoT is no less great and was even more influential, but what I mean is that a number of games are based on its near-perfect formula. Majora's Mask is truly extraordinary not only with respect to its time system, but also its setting and characters, especially for its time, 2000. In a line with games such as Shenmue, it is one of those titles you cannot purposefully evaluate on terms of good, perfect, best, whatever, but it's special in its own right, doing things no worse or better than others (although I for instance think that MM has the best dungeons in the whole Zelda series, but then again it's only four) but doing it differently, creating an experience no other game ever delivered.

However, I felt very happy that SS, while of course not copying MM's time system, is the first Zelda since MM to offer a town with deep and complex NPC relationships, echoing MM at least slightly in this regard. I really hope that the Wii U Zelda will continue like that...

MussakkuLaden

MussakkuLaden said:

@Sparx What? There's a bonus scene in LA if you do a no death run? :O Uh, unfortunately it's one of the hardest Zelda games, so I cannot hope to ever manage that...
But I fully agree with you as regards the story. I'd like to include the game's really unique characters and find that the game is one of the most moving experiences I ever had. The music was great too.

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

My vote went to Links Awakening DX. For an explaination why, just look at @Sparx comment :P

But in all honesty, its almost impossible to pick a "favourite" as every game has something unique and appealing to it that makes it special.
Even with titles that i didnt like that much, i wouldt say that these are bad games by far.
So, take my voto with a bit of salt ;) It could have been pretty much every other title on the list as well.

Its way easier to pick the ones i liked the least, which would be WW (cube), MM and both DS titles, as all of them incorporated gameplay mechanics, that i really cant stand all that much,

denpa-ben

denpa-ben said:

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

As of 11 a.m. EST on Sunday, I'm shocked that Twilight Princess is 3rd. I love that game, but most podcast people don't speak highly of it. Yet speak highly of the super duper overrated Wind Waker. So glad to see most gamers have their had screwed on tight.

fluggy

fluggy said:

HAS to be A Link to the Past. Just a completely gripping story packed with every emotion AND the structure hasn't been changed (until the Wii U version allegedly). Hadn't played anything like it... used to race home from school to continue the mammoth adventure. That's the thing with Ninty.... U get experiences rather than just games. Had a Megadrive too ... But u just didnt get gripping pageturners like ALttP or Super Metroid on other systems.

hiptanaka

hiptanaka said:

It's a tie between A Link to the Past and A Link Between Worlds. LttP nails the atmosphere, but the gameplay has been perfected in LBW.

Wesker

Wesker said:

Look how badly OOT and TP are doing. Lucky Nintendo doesn't make those games anymore...

Wait a minute.

Shepdawg1

Shepdawg1 said:

This is a hard question to answer. I love every Zelda game. However, I have my personal favorites, and I know I will be ostracized for my choices, but I don't care. My top 5 are:

1. Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link
1. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
3. The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages
4. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
5. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D

In all honesty, Zelda 2 and Majora's Mask tie for my number one game: Zelda 2 as my favorite 2D Zelda, and Majora's Mask as my favorite 3D Zelda. What I love about Zelda 2 is its grueling difficulty. I love a good challenge, and this game kicks my butt every single time I play it, and I love it for that. Sure, it's different, but you have to look at the picture at the time. It was only the second installment, so Nintendo had the room to experiment. Since it didn't do as well as the first, they decided to revert to the classic formula. That's fine, but for what it is, Zelda 2 is still a brilliant game.

As for why Majora's Mask over Ocarina of Time, I don't care if OoT did it first. Majora's Mask had a much better atmosphere, much more interesting story, much better sidequests (The Bomber's Notebook is, in my opinion, the best mechanic they've ever had in a Zelda game, but turning into a portrait in Link Between Worlds is a close second), the mask mechanic, and excellent dungeon design (Stone Tower Temple is still my favorite).

So yeah, I don't follow the norm, but I don't care.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@XCWarrior

Twilight Princess was AMAZING. Idk how anyone could not like that game. It holds a special place in my heart. It was just a solid Zelda game through and through. While some may criticize the motion, I liked the fact you didn't have to worry about the angle being correct when you swung the sword. Made things streamlined, and that was a good thing.

Viper9_QC

Viper9_QC said:

Zelda Majora's Mask, for me it's the best Zelda yet. The fact that the NPC are not just standing here doing nothing make this game feel alive.

I hope they gonna make a 3DS remake someday.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@Chubblings

So I started playing Skyward Sword again this morning. Got a good 6 hours done today. I plowed through Faron Woods and found all the Kikwis, then finished Skyview Temple, and then collected like 25 of those Gratitude thingy mabobs for the kind demon. Upgraded my wallet to hold 1100 rupies, got 3 bottles and 8 hearts, and two extra spaces in my equipment bag. So I'm starting to get a little momentum going finally. That's good, because once you pick up momentum it's harder to put the game down!

I never listen to consensus opinion when it comes to games. There's SO many games that I love that get railed on for whatever reason, whether it be a Zelda title, Metroid Other M, Wonderful 101, NSMBU, DKC Tropical Freeze... the list goes on and on. I'll listen to people when they say a game is GOOD, but when people say "oh that game isn't that good blah blah" I take it with a grain of salt. Too many picky gamers, too many uber-fans that hate anything different than the master formula, too much critiquing and not enough love of games.

Ya, I'm lovin it so far man. It's really great. The calibration does need to be re-set pretty often, but it's a single button press that takes half a second. It's not even an issue really. I just hit D-Pad down on the Wiimote while it's pointed where I want it. I guess sure, it's a small complaint, but NOTHING like what I've heard from some people, who even went so far as to say it "ruins the game". Case in point- that's why I don't listen to negative critiques much.

remlapgamer

remlapgamer said:

Should categorize this poll into groups, best story, game play, villains, levels, items, ect.-Just a thought-Skyword Sword really gave me the best emotional connection, Ocarina of Time had such an open world feeling to it-not that the prior 2D versions didn't.

tux_peng

tux_peng said:

OOT was/is a great game, i like ALBW too, TP was good- but tried too hard to be dark. MM just wasn't that fun to me- the time time mechanic made it feel like a chore

midnafanboy

midnafanboy said:

@JaxonH You are one of the few that does not whine about skyward swords controls.Cause when it came out people started hating on that one thing that you can fix in a second i never had that problem though.

HawkeyeWii

HawkeyeWii said:

I still think both versions of Ocarina and Windwaker should be clumped as one game instead of split into 2 each.

FragRed

FragRed said:

@HawkeyeWii I agree. The only time titles should be listed separately is if there is additional content added into an updated version, other than mere HD graphics.

KillScottKill

KillScottKill said:

1. The original. Not even close. The Legend of Zelda on NES is the consummate video game. Open world, esoteric, imaginative, challenging... It had everything.

2. Link to the Past

3. Twilight Princess (GameCube - the Wii version sucks)

After that, it's all pretty meh. Ocarina of Time is the most overrated game. So many design flaws and filler. Majora's Mask was better IMO, because it brought the same mechanics but wasn't afraid to try some new things and get away from the formula. Wind Waker, especially the HD remake, is gorgeous and has some fun dungeons, but I can't forgive how much of that game is just time wasting on the ocean. For a world so beautiful, it also lacks a lot of personality. I wish a console game in that style existed on the lands of Hyrule. And Skyward Sword... Just, no. Egoraptor nailed why that game is so massively overrated. As uncreative as the New Super Mario Bros. series, but with a terrible control scheme.

kyuubikid213

kyuubikid213 said:

I love each and every one of the Zelda games, but I have to give my vote to Ocarina of Time (3D) simply because it's the only one out of the ones I own that I've gone back and played again... I'm on my fourth playthrough of Ocarina of Time 3D now and I still love it just as much as I did when I bought it.

Twilight Princess is amazing, Skyward Sword is marvelous, Link's Awakening DX has a charm I rarely see in video games, Wind Waker HD is just incredible, The Legend of Zelda stands up very well for a 30 year old game, Zelda II is...different, but alright, Phantom Hourglass was an incredible experience, Link to the Past is absolutely wonderful, Link Between Worlds is interesting, Four Swords Anniversary is the best time waster I've ever played (though sadly never with friends), and Majora's Mask has an atmosphere that stays with me long after playing.

The Legend of Zelda series in general lives up to it's name. It's a legend amongst games. Even the "worst" of the Zelda games is still a brilliant GAME.

kyuubikid213

kyuubikid213 said:

@KillScottKill I respect Egoraptor's opinion, but I think he was super biased against Ocarina. Also, he complained about not knowing where to go in the open-ended Castlevania II: Simon's Quest, so I don't know why knowing where to go in Ocarina is a bad thing in his eyes. You can still explore. Sure, there are obstacles you can't overcome until you get a certain item, but at least the world is still open to you. And there are plenty of secrets, too. If you explore the world because you don't feel the need to go wherever Navi, Impa, Zelda, or Sheik tells you to, you will find secrets you can come back to.

To those who don't know, Egoraptor has a Sequelitis series where he compares two games from the same series and gives his own personal comments and opinions toward what the newer games did right or wrong. His most recent one is a 30 minute video where he details why he finds Ocarina of Time to be overhyped (and as a side note, Skyward Sword). He does however contradict his standpoint from past Sequelitis episodes several times in his LttP/OoT video. Another example is how he rags on Skyward Sword for not bringing anything new EVEN THOUGH the game is built around the Motion Plus controls and the 1:1 sword control (unlike Super Castlevania IV and Simon's new whip abilities).

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@midnafanboy

Yeah, I mean sure, it's a minor gripe, but at the same time it's just a MINOR gripe. I'm really enjoying it. I need to go back and play Metroid Prime trilogy again. Metroid Prime 2 is the game that got me back into Nintendo gaming as a young adult (17 or 18 years old at the time). Remember being unemployed, and every day I'd wake up and watch my brother play for like 8 hours straight. All day I'd just sit and watch him play Metroid Prime. So I finally bought a Metroid Prime Gamecube Bundle, and bought MP2 Echoes along with it. Those were the days. 10 hour Metroid binges every day, day in day out. It's been a good 10 years since I played those games, 7 years since MP3 Corruption. Wow, how the time flies!

Chubblings

Chubblings said:

@JaxonH That's the mindset that gamers should be having. Because at the end of the day, when you become so nitpicky, making big complaints out of everything, you're forgetting why you're actually playing a game, to have fun.
On a side Zelda note, the link I've put below shows an image regarding the 'hardcore' Zelda fanbase cycle that was created before Skyward Sword was released, and was actually pretty accurate with their reactions at release:

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@Chubblings

And that's the fundamental difference in mindset between gamers like say, you and me, and the ones always looking to complain. The most common justification I hear is "it's good to complain, it's good to critique and want more". And while I would generally agree with that statement, I would not make it a focal point. I picked up gaming as a hobby to enjoy my spare time. Spending all my spare time complaining about stuff doesn't seem like the best course of action for enjoying spare time to me.

That's why I generally resent chronic complaints, regardless of whether it pertains to a game, a console or Nintendo themselves. It's like, there's a LOT of games in the world. If you're not enjoying one, find another that you do enjoy. There's enough great games in the world that every gamer should be having a blast, and really I like to come to fan sites to share in that joy. To exchange opinions and fun experiences with others who also happen to enjoy the same thing. But sometimes it just becomes SO dang negative, it's like no one is having fun playing games anymore.

Tbh, there isn't a Zelda game I've played that I haven't liked. Granted, I haven't played the NES/SNES games despite the fact I grew up in that era. Point is, Zelda games bring a smile to my face every time. I just don't understand the hate they get at times, when the experience is SO enjoyable. Liked that pic btw.

Samwise7

Samwise7 said:

@JaxonH Being old enough to have played them all from the start as they came out (I was a child for the first few though) I have to say Skyward Sword and A Link to the Past are the best. SS blew me away at times with the game's design, emotion and sheer beauty as well as the enormous fun factor. A Link to The Past is so big and I was so excited for A Link Between Worlds and although it's an incredible, 5 star game... it's just too easy and just felt a bit smaller in scope. The storyline however was amazing. I just think SS is the pinnacle of the Zelda's and gets waaay too much stick when in fact it's so gorgeous and so moreish, I wasn't bored once. Amazing game.

Prime

Prime said:

Aunoma said it himself that "The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess" is THE best Zelda game ever. I just finished it, it truly is an epic...epic. P.S. It's also the reincarnation of Zelda 128. ;)

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@Samwise7

I really liked A Link Between Worlds. I thought it worked as the perfect handheld Zelda formula. It was small in scope, but it was just right for a handheld imo. I really, REALLY liked the dungeons in that game too. Especially the invisible walls dungeon, though they were all excellent.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

1. A Link to the Past
2. A Link Between Worlds
3. Ocarina of Time
4. LoZ 1
5. Twilight Princess

This list is obviously subject to change. I think the LoZ for Wii U, if done right, may become the new 'best game of all-time.'

Henmii

Henmii said:

I chose Oot, because it was my first Zelda game. It made a great impact on me since I mostly played platformers before that.

The runners up would be: Windwaker, Links awakening, Oracle of ages/seasons, Minish cap.

Nintendboy14

Nintendboy14 said:

OoT and it has nothing to do with nostalgia it by far has the story and it was innovative to the point it set the standard for all LoZ games I loved traveling between time

Purple

Purple said:

For me it has to be Link's Awakening DX. It was the first Legend of Zelda game I ever played and it remains my favorite to this day. also Capcom did an amazing job with all the zelda's they did. as far as 3D zelda goes its a toss up between Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess.

Moshugan

Moshugan said:

@denpa-ben ''Why are the 2 Twilight Princess games lumped together? That doesn't really seem fair. They are not the same game.''

I agree!! The Wii version is quite different from the GC version. They should've been separately listed on the same basis that the other remakes and versions are.

Moshugan

Moshugan said:

I voted for Majora's Mask, because I LOOOVE it's design, gameplay ideas and strong atmosphere!
But I do think Ocarina of Time deserves the top spot, because it brought the most new things to the series of all the games and it's such a strong game as a whole. It's also the one I had most fun playing and exploring. :)
Worthy mentions are Link's Awakening because it perfected the 2D formula and it has such good music and atmosphere, and Wind Waker because of it's amazing artistry in the graphics and music!

Pillowpants

Pillowpants said:

I have to go with A Link to the Past, because that's what I grew up with and I have the most fond memories of. Although a lot of people think Ocarina of Time is one of the best games ever, I don't agree entirely. I always thought Zelda worked a bit better from a top-down view, but perhaps that's just my nostalgia talking. :P

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

@JaxonH I'm a huge fan as well, but I hear a lot of complaints for some reason. I loved that big ball and chain and the gear riding items. I used those things a bunch, even when you probably weren't supposed to. Great game.

smirg

smirg said:

It was a really tough call to make. I voted for Ocarina of Time and I'm not sure I made the right choice for me. I based it mainly on which Zelda game I'd first choose to replay again. It was a tough call between that one, Majora's Mask and Wind Waker HD. While I really like A Link to the Past, I just can't rate it as high as some of the other ones.

Zelda II? Really? Someone picked that as the best? I actually like that game but there's no way it would be anywhere near the top.

Twilight Princess should have been split out into separate entries. Either lump all the remakes together or don't. The different control schemes is enough to warrant separate entries. I'm curious how they would have ranked against each other. I know I certainly rank the Gamecube version much higher. I'm not a fan of motion controls, especially terrible ones. TP's motion controls almost completely ruin the game for me. Same with SS although it's certainly not as bad as TP. If SS had traditional controls, I'd be much more tempted to put it near the top of my list although the really long, boring "intro" is enough to keep it out of the top spot.

Why would someone choose the Gamecube version of Wind Waker over Wind Waker HD? Nostalgia? I really liked playing the original when it came out but if I had to replay one of them I'd pick the HD version every time.

Amateur

Amateur said:

No one can say there is a Zelda that is the best. Think about it for a while if you cross out the ones that are bad in terms of programing, each game has their own adventure for you to go on with some of the same characters. If you say one is a great game, you opinion might change over time due to looking other games in the series or playing the game again and noticing something that changes you view on the game.
Long story short you can't say that their is a great Zelda game, but you can say there is bad Zelda games. (cough) (cough) CD-I.

Melkac

Melkac said:

I'm glad OoT is winning. It's not the best Zelda game AT ALL, but it's certainly better than ALttP...

HyruleChampion

HyruleChampion said:

Twilight princess ocarina of time majoras mask and skyward sword are some of my favorites but overall twilight princess holds a special place in my heart because its my first zelda game and the reason i love zelda today thanks to my friend who let me borrow his game plus i had the best moments and memories from that game...aaah nostalgia

tiwo91

tiwo91 said:

I voted for Oracle of Seasons(thus also Ages), because I played them the most of all zelda games :-)

element187

element187 said:

Voted for Zelda II... I feel bad for all of you that aren't skilled enough for this game. They introduced some of the coolest elements for this Zelda.... Experience points and leveling up gave the game an RPG feel.

Grants the combat is slow in the beginning but once you get downward thrust the game opens up and the gameplay really shines then.

Klobb

Klobb said:

Windwaker and its HD remake shouldn't be separate entries. Neither should Ocarina of Time and its 3D remake.

But oh well, A Link Between Worlds all the way! The first Zelda I played where I really really got into it.

mushroomer

mushroomer said:

400 posts ? wow.. hot topic..

i think i was the 1% who played zelda II during my vulnerable time.. every part of that game including Nintendo Power coverage .. i absorbed into me. also represents the final GOLDEN cartridge.