Nintendo Scoops Three "Best Of E3" Game Critics Awards

Posted by Damien McFerran

The awards are the reward

Nintendo had a pretty solid E3 this year, and this is reflected in the fact that the company has scored three Game Critics Awards in the annual "Best of E3" round-up.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS was branded the Best Handheld / Mobile game, while its Wii U sibling took home the Best Fighting Game award. Rounding off the trio was Mario Maker, which scooped Best Social / Casual / Family Game.

You can see the full run down of results here. Do you think Nintendo should have perhaps come away with more? And why wasn't Splatoon — branded game of the show by many media outlets — given a mention? Let us know what you think with a comment.

[via gamecriticsawards.com]

Related Games

shaneoh

shaneoh said:

Well I guess I could concede one to sony for Grim Fandango, but just one

outburst

outburst said:

I need to watch more Evolved gameplay to understand the hype. I think it was just like Crysis3 hunter/predator with actual predators. Also DragonAge was playable on E3? I haven't come across any gameplay videos.

Yoshi's Wooly World should have gotten an award for being adorable. :D

Edit:
Also Wii U gamepad should have won over Oculus VR. :D LOL

Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano said:

To me Evolve doesn't look particularly interesting so I'd have easily given Splatoon "Best Online Multiplayer" as well as Captain Toad for "Best Console Game" and "Best of Show".

wayneyrob22

wayneyrob22 said:

i got to be honest smash on wii u looks like a long player and has got my interest probably because there is not a lot else coming out on wii u, i`ve never known a console so short of games, i need drivers or it`s an xbox for me i`m afraid.

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

Splatoon sure has the potential to be the Mario Kart of 3rd person shooters. It could also end up as feeling too shallow after spending a dozen of hours with it. We'll see.

WalupeachyTime

WalupeachyTime said:

The awards are great for Nintendo. However, it'll take more than E3 awards to win over the general public. We are in a time where realistic graphics and gameplay are huge focuses for games like Call of Duty and Fifa. A large ad campaign is what's needed for fans of these titles to play games like Smash Bros. E3 can still play a part, but in some cases, it doesn't provide much.

Warbeard

Warbeard said:

@wayneyrob22 I think Bayonetta 1+2, Hyrule Warriors, Sonic Boom, whatever Amiibo brings, Devils Third, Captain Toad AND Smash Bros in the next 5 months purely as exclusives is pretty good. Add to that Watch Dogs and Fifa or whatever

WiiULoveSquid

WiiULoveSquid said:

These industry awards always feel like they try really hard to not look like they are ever giving Nintendo too much applause. Gotta stay loyal to the cool kids with the guns.

Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano said:

@Warbeard Sure the quantity of exclusives is good, but the spreading out is pretty poor. It's possible that everything apart from Bayonetta 1+2 and Hyrule Warriors is November, also the first release isn't until mid-September.

Mario Kart 8 will easily last that long for me (played thousands of hours of Mario Kart Wii in total), but it may not for others.

DualWielding

DualWielding said:

what exactly classifies Mario Maker as a casual or family game? I guess it could be considered a 'social' game but they haven't explained how the social sharing features will work

Aslanmagic

Aslanmagic said:

If Evolve is online only, no thanks for me. I'm not liking this trend. I live out in the country so I can't get super fast internet. I'll take Splatoon.

TruenoGT

TruenoGT said:

@ferthepoet Yeah, it's funny that a level editor of a game that 30 years ago would have been considered one of the hardcore games is now a family/casual game. I can't wait for "Dark Souls Maker" to win the family/casual award in 2044.

Ralek85

Ralek85 said:

Well Evolve looked decent enough. Asymmetrical multiplayer / co-op done right. But none of that is really new or that exciting. I think I'm gonna play it eventually, have a coupl of good romps with a few buddies, I'm not sure it really is the next big thing though ... I'm worried that your enjoyment will entirely rest on the skill of the one playing the beast. If you just end up playing with random people, this game could be ruined very, very easily, even more so than any other multiplayer game: Very few players, reliance on co-op skills /and willingness of the players on the one side and reliance on the skill of the player acting as the "enemy" on the other side.
More than a decade of experience in online play tells me, that this is a risky mix, best enjoyed with a fix group of friends and acquaintances, else I'd probably steer clear.
Splatoon on the other hand blew me away, it could certainly also be marred by toxic/bad players no doubt, but at least one screw up on the other team is not prone to cripple the entire experience. Also and this is pure conjecture, those people willing to play a cute-looking arena shooter on the WiiU will be a tad more serious and social than your average online FPS encounter ^^ At least I hope so ... Nevertheless even considering both games work out perfectly, I see myself enjoying Splatoon more, I already got L4D1/2 for example, so Evolve is just an "evolution" on that :P

TruenoGT

TruenoGT said:

I hadn't even heard of Evolve before seeing this list and after watching the trailer and a gameplay vid, I'm not sure I understand the hype. It looks like they took Turok, Tribes, L4D and Monster Hunter, threw them all together and turned out the lights. Maybe it plays more interesting than it looks, but to be honest I sort of lost interest in FPS games when consoles started to become the lead platforms for major FPS titles and Evolve seems to follow that same mold.

theberrage

theberrage said:

"And why wasn't Splatoon — branded game of the show by many media outlets — given a mention?"
Lol. Nintendo life has a great sense of humor!

Kirk

Kirk said:

Yeah, I think that's about right.

I honestly think it would be pushing things to expect Nintendo games to get many more awards when you look at the competition. This does nothing to detract from what Nintendo achieved with it's E3 show, which by most accounts was a resounding success, but is just the simple truth and reality of what Nintendo had on show vs. what the competition had.

A few awards awards feels pretty much right to me.

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

SPLATOOOOOOOOOOON!!! Screw those awards, they'll realize soon enough how much they underestimated the Decimator!

vamkar

vamkar said:

Why didn't splatoon win best original game? I swear that was the most original game shown

DragonbornRito

DragonbornRito said:

Getting Evolve on PC, just like any multi-platform "AAA" game these days. Splatoon should've won either best shooter though. Zelda U will win game of the show next year. (Unless we somehow get it before next June.)

Takerkaneanite6

Takerkaneanite6 said:

Speaking of Smash Bros. Am I the only one that based on the Palutena reveal at the end of the Digital Event wants a Smash Bros. Anime/Cartoon???

Shambo

Shambo said:

Maybe they're a bit sore because of how hard Nintendo took over E3? Maybe Nintendo should hand out Original Seal of Quality Awards, since they're obviously running the show now. Or maybe that's just my perspective on things...

DBPirate

DBPirate said:

I'm not really disappointed that Splatoon didn't get an award. Nintendo got three awards so that's all I care about.

orravan85

orravan85 said:

@wayneyrob22 short on games? Have you looked at the eShop? Or say....anything recent articles showing top 10 to own; 10 reasons to buy a Wii U now. I personally own Mario/Luigi U. Game & Wario, Nintendo Land, ZombiU, COD Ghosts, Pikmin 3, Wii Fit U, Wii Sports HD, Zelda HD, Deus EX Directors Cut, Sonic Lost Worlds (my son wanted it; surprisingly fun), Ducktales Remastered, NES Remix, ZEN Pinball (own three boards wife loves the high scores competiviness), Mighty Switch Force HD, Super Mario 3D World, and Mario Kart 8 with free Wii party U. From there I got a lot of Virtual Console games: Mega Man X, Earthbound, Ghosts n Goblins, Donkey Kong and Punch Out. Phew! I think that almost all of them. But yeah!

There is no shortage of games. Do your research!

wayneyrob22

wayneyrob22 said:

@orravan85 you hold on mate, if you compare to the GameCube which was Nintendo's last home console that was in trouble the Wii u is very lacking, yes its got a load of games at budget prices and NES snes and gameboy advance games why? Gameboy advance games are designed for on the move anyway, the e shop should have GameCube games in hd (displayed of course) I got a Wii with GameCube ports and a 1080p upscailer which I have modified myself and most GameCube games not only look the part but play, don't get me wrong there are good games on Wii u, I like both call of dutys Mario kart is excellent, most of the games you mention are rehashed, mobile and tablets are taking over the handheld scene, Nintendo need to open their eyes, I would have put the best GameCube games on the Eshop straight away, there is a reason are on the downward slide, I know my stuff and love nintendo.

Action51

Action51 said:

It's amazing in this toxic gaming media atmosphere that the Dorito and Mountain dew pushing hipsters conceded that Nintendo would win anything...bet they had to choke down their protests to reluctantly award Nintendo anything.

Frapp

Frapp said:

Evolve? Oh my word, they're not even trying! And No Man's Sky was more boring than Susumu Hori. These game 'critics' are clueless.

beautifulstrong

beautifulstrong said:

Admiral Thrawn is a joke of a character. The fact that I was reminded of those horrible books after all these years is a disgrace! You're better of with JAR JAR my friend!

ICHIkatakuri

ICHIkatakuri said:

@outburst I was the same but after watching it and reading more, evolve looks like an fps monster hunter. The catch though is that the monster might be a human player and the longer it evades capture, eating lesser beasts, the more it evolves getting bigger and stronger and then becoming the hunter itself. I think it looks good, but then I loved turtle rocks other game (left 4 dead) too.

Nintonic

Nintonic said:

Because Splatoon is overated, and was given way too much screentime to get people to like it.

IceClimbers

IceClimbers said:

@Nintonic Smash Bros got as much screentime as Splatoon did. Xenoblade Chronicles X had a lot of screentime too (though Nintendo hasn't uploaded the Treehouse Live video from Day 3 for the game yet).

shinesprite

shinesprite said:

Its okay. What we saw of Splatoon was actually a very well-developed prototype. Splatoon is still heavily under development, and it (sort-of) makes sense that they would want to focus on awarding games which release this year. ;)

Melkac

Melkac said:

@Splatom Can't you really?

Yeah, this is bogus. Evolve Evolve Evolve Evolve No Man's Sky No Man's Sky. Great list.

Blast

Blast said:

Evolve doesn't appeal to me at all but hey... hopefully the game is good.