Bravely Default Flutters Gracefully Past The One Million Copies Sold Mark

Posted by Damien McFerran

More than half that total sold outside of Japan

Square Enix has revealed that its 3DS JRPG Bravely Default has sold one million copies worldwide across physical and digital distribution systems, with 600,000 of those occurring outside of Japan.

The success of the game has had a dramatic effect on Square Enix's future plans; Bravely Default is a title geared towards a Japanese audience, yet it has found critical and commercial success elsewhere in the world — leading president Yosuke Matsuda to state that his company will focus less on the "global aspect" with forthcoming games and instead create more traditional JRPGs.

Bravely Second is due out in Japan this year, and while the western release hasn't been confirmed, such robust sales should mean that it's almost certain to be sold globally.

[via dengekionline.com]

Oragami

Oragami said:

I've been meaning to pick this up for a while, maybe I should finally take the plunge...

Axed84

Axed84 said:

I played the demo back when it was originally released, and I walked away from that feeling completely dissatisfied. I couldn't wrap my head around the Brave/Default battle mechanic, and I didn't understand how the StreetPass/re-building Norende functionality worked. Overall I just felt like the demo didn't do a great job of explaining the various features of the game.

Fast forward to about a month ago, and for some inexplicable reason I decided to purchase the full game (which I realize doesn't make any sense considering my feelings towards the demo). I'm SO glad that I did, because this game has grabbed my attention like no other RPG has in quite a while. The previous stand-out in my mind was DQ:IX for the DS, and for the first time since then I feel like I'm playing a game that offers the same type of incredibly fun, fully customizable, and high-quality experience as that did. I'm so glad that I ended up picking up this game DESPITE my experience with the demo.

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

Yaaaawn. Boring game.
At least if this does well, the chances of other, more interesting Japanese games making it West are higher.

StephenYap3

StephenYap3 said:

Good to see that Square has opened their eyes. And Bravely Default? I haven't gotten back to that game for months! Got to get back on it before Smash 3DS!

audiobrainiac

audiobrainiac said:

I'm still playing it and loving it. Hopefully this will have Square Enix give us some older Final Fantasies. Unlikely, but I can dream! ^_^

BinaryFragger

BinaryFragger said:

After enjoying the game for 80+ hours, I'm not surprised that it's selling well.
Now how about releasing the 3ds remake of DQVII in the west?

Prof_Clayton

Prof_Clayton said:

I hope the second one has a more entertaining story. There's a couple of points I've just grown completely bored with BD. :/

CaviarMeths

CaviarMeths said:

I wish more Japanese companies would realize that they weren't doing themselves any favours by trying to make their long-running series appeal more to Western gamers.

• Resident Evil 6 is the lowest selling numbered RE game ever.
  • Final Fantasy has been trending downwards since X, even the HD remaster of X managed to outsell the most recent new FF.
  • Ninja Gaiden Z sold hilariously awfully, selling less on PS3 and 360 combined than Razor's Edge sold on Wii U (Epic Un-achievement of 2014 Award, right there).

So I'm not surprised here. The message Bravely Default sends to Japanese publishers should be that "We liked the games you used to make, why did you change them?"

River3636

River3636 said:

Well I want the sequel who knows when will get it. This is square enix we are talking about. Dragon quest 10 and 7 are still not in North America . Dragon Quest 9 did sell 6 million copies so what the crap.

Oaf7724

Oaf7724 said:

Been playing this since it came out in North America in Feb. 65+ hours and still not finished...The second half of the game is a grind but overall a fantastic turn-based RPG! Looking forward to more from Square.

Captain_Toad

Captain_Toad said:

@CaviarMeths "Ninja Gaiden Z sold hilariously awfully, selling less on PS3 and 360 combined than Razor's Edge sold on Wii U (Epic Un-achievement of 2014 Award, right there)."

Heh, this is all I need over here.

Yet to play the full game but i really liked the demo. I mean speeding up the battle animations and just affecting the random battle encounter at any time alone has got me hooked.

rjejr

rjejr said:

"yet it has found critical and commercial success elsewhere in the world"

Thats b/c the rest of the world wants good JRGS but for the past 5 years Squenix has been giving us FFXIII and 2 sequels nobody wanted. At least FFXIII Versus looks good. I mean FFXV.

W/ this, FF Explorers from Squenix and Fantasy Life (and Yokai Watch) from Level 5 3DS does seem to be THE JRPG system right now.

Ralizah

Ralizah said:

Just got back to playing this. The game gets brutal come Chapter 4 on Hard mode.

Firebird360

Firebird360 said:

@Axed84 I felt the same way about the demo, I never ended up getting the though. Your comment makes me think I should pick it up this weekend!

WYLD-WOO

WYLD-WOO said:

60% of the sales come from western sales, which is quite impressive for a JRPG.

Well, I enjoyed every bit about this game and I'm really glad it was a success.

Even the part(s) some people didn't like!!! For which, I believe it added to the story and gameplay.

Seems like soooo long ago, when I completed this game. HURRY UP SECOND!!!

LinktotheFuture

LinktotheFuture said:

I loved the demo, but it is a lot different than the full game, I agree.

The best RPG since Final Fantasy VI, in my world!

Tops

Tops said:

I can't believe I still have yet to get this >.< I guess I'd better get on that soon

Stunny

Stunny said:

I bought this game after I heard that Best Buy was going to that BOGO deal. MAN! I have been playing this game nonstop ever since! Fantastic RPG game. xD

SavoirFaire

SavoirFaire said:

@Axed84 wow just how I felt about it. This is why I am really not big into demos as they can really give ppl a false sense of the game (ala MH3) and turn people off. Either the demo is too basic, too small a sliver of the whole game, or too complex to fit in a demo.

Demo rant aside, I am really glad to see Square Enix "wake up" to what most of us have known for quite some time: the west wants quality jrpgs!!!!

Jahir

Jahir said:

I'm happy to see how well this game sold even though I have a love/hate relationship with it. Hopefully BS will be better.

Fandabidozi

Fandabidozi said:

I love JRPG's but I'm just not enjoying the demo at all. I think it's the job system that I'm disliking the most...
Is the full game very different?
@Axed84
Just read your thoughts on BD, thanks. I gotta say the demo is def putting me off this, and I really want to like it.

TheJebou

TheJebou said:

Great :) Bravely default is actually my favourite game on the 3ds and I just started playing it through again. I have never played the demo, but the real game deserves all of those million sales and even more. Can't wait for the sequel, hopefully it comes soon after the jp release to the rest of the world too :3

LazyShell

LazyShell said:

Good, this should show Square that there's still a market for such games in the west. I'm also glad the FF 13 series is over and Square can concentrate on other games.

SilentHunter382

SilentHunter382 said:

Fantastic news. This shows SE that there is a market (and other publishers that there a market for old school JRPG) though I have given up on the new ff games and gone to other japenes games like the Shin Megami Tensei series (and the spin offs) and the "tales of" series.

3MonthBeef

3MonthBeef said:

Square-Enix and all the other japanese devs who abandoned the japanese gaming style were totally stupid for changing their formula. I can't even understand what made them ALL change direction? Were they really afraid of Skyrim? FallOut?

Sounds like Square-Enix is actually growing a new brain and getting their act together. Capcom, I'm not so sure. At least the AA dev houses (Atlus, Tri-Ace, Platinum games) are keeping it real.

Zodiak13

Zodiak13 said:

Just for fun I checked my activity log and this was #1 ranked for this year for playtime which was surprising because I did not think I had played it that much. It was awesome, I loved the job system and leveling each person in every area was very gratifying. Fun story and great aesthetics helped make those many hours (70+ if I count demo time) go bye almost too quickly. Looking forward to the next one.

DarkCoolEdge

DarkCoolEdge said:

I'm glaf it sold well but it's a game very overrated. Nostalgia blinded the press. It is far from perfect. SE has a lot to improve in Bravely Second.

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

never been interested in like these rpg games besides pokemon but im always amazed at how gorgeous some of the characters look :o