Someone Has Beaten The Super Mario Bros. Speedrun World Record

Posted by Damien McFerran

Game completed in less than five minutes

Think you're a pretty hot Super Mario Bros. player? You're probably not as good as speedrunner Blubbler, who has just finished the game in 4:57.69, beating the previous record of 4:58.09.

Blubber is clearly a talented individual, and in the video below you can see just how perfect this particular run is — every jump and dash is timed to perfection, and various tricks are used to ensure those precious seconds don't go to waste.

It's a pretty amazing achievement, and is made even more special by the fact that it has been recorded on a game which is almost thirty years old. For many, the enduring appeal of Miyamoto's classic remains undiminished, clearly.

[via eurogamer.net]

Kirk

Kirk said:

Impressive stuff indeed.

I love how the times are now so close that it's almost like competing for the fastest lap times on a racing game.

:-o

SpookyMeths

SpookyMeths said:

There were about 3 places in the video where he hits a slight snag too, so even that time can be improved upon. Crazy though.

Greenalink

Greenalink said:

4:57 is a legendary milestone in real time but a run done on an actual NES* is still up for grabs.

*Original Wii VC runs slower by less than ~0.2%, apparently Wii U VC runs faster than NES but still less than ~0.2%.

Gridatttack

Gridatttack said:

IIRC, the TAS run is near this mark. But of course, the TAS run has those wall jumps with are really hard to do real time.

FritzFrapp

FritzFrapp said:

Never knew about that bullet bill glitch on 8-2. The run through that world was the most impressive to me. I used to be pretty good at this game myself when it came out, but probably a good minute off this time. Shame it's on an emulator. You have to admire the dedication though.

Deadstanley

Deadstanley said:

@gusmento01 @Frapp Agreed. I've tinkered with tool-assists and I think they are fun to use when looking at hypotheticals, such as beating the game as fast as possible, or not taking damage from anything. Not that it can't be done without tools, but it's extremely unlikely. That's why it's important that it use the real hardware and not an emulator.

SphericalCrusher

SphericalCrusher said:

Nice! I'm a huge speed run fan and a runner myself for some stuff, and enjoy seeing this content come to NintendoLife.

Airola

Airola said:

@CaviarMeths I believe every time he seems to slow down or do something that looks like he could do it better, he is actually doing it the most optimal way. Like sometimes you have to do something a few frames slower so that you will be able to be a few frames faster later.

The most obvious part is the trick in 8-2 where he stops for a few seconds in the last stairs, but by doing that he is able to lure the bullet bill near the flagpole and use it to make a glitch happen that will help him go through the game a tiny bit faster.

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

The question is: Is this considered to be the official WR now ? If so, do they seperate emulator runs from real hardware ones ?
Since no matter how good your emulator is, by now, these runners are fighting over milliseonds, and an emulator alkmost always runs at least a little smoother than actual hardware does. So yeah, really impressive work nontheless, but id be more interested if something like that could be replicated on actual hardware ;)

SLiM

SLiM said:

Some very impressive tricks in 8-2. I would throw the controller across the room attempting to perform those tricks over and over.

DarkEdi

DarkEdi said:

can someone explainme why there are little "stops" in some parts of the game?, i think it delays his speedrun

IxnayontheCK

IxnayontheCK said:

I think what annoys me about these is they're never done on an ACTUAL NES. I mean its impressive but I'd be more impressed if they used the original hardware....

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

@IxnayontheCK a lot of speed runs are. It's generaly easier to capture video on an emulator though. If you watch the GDQs they do for charity they do a lot of the games on actual hardware and there have been runs where they're on pace or come close to a world record.

Also considering emulators all lag where you expect them to I'm not sure there's an actual difference as long as you arn't doing any tool assist techniques.

It's always impressive to see these. I usually try various difficulty challenges like megaman's buster only no damage runs and zelda 3 heart runs. Never done any speed running myself.

grimbldoo

grimbldoo said:

@gusmento01
I agree, it's also the same reason I am not impressed by speed skaters. Till they stop using clap skates and racing uniforms and go back outdoors, I will never acknowledge their feats as impressive.

slawhon

slawhon said:

Not to diminish this impressive run, but I think there is some kind of mod going on which obviously did not exist in the original game. For instance, at 4:25, he clearly jumps on a piranha plant that disappears as soon as he touches it. Also, at 4:32, he does a double jump (wall jump) which also was not possible on the original game. I think its cool, but I'm impressed when people can do it on the original hardware.