Video: This Minish Cap Trailer is as Cinematic as Game Boy Advance Gets

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Music, flowing blond locks, it has it all

The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap arrives on the Wii U Virtual Console this week in Europe, adding to the small but impressive range of Game Boy Advance titles on the system. Developed largely by Capcom, it stands up alongside its contemporaries as an excellent 2D adventure.

With its arrival just a few days away, Nintendo UK has issued a new eShop trailer for us all to enjoy, showing snippets of cutscenes, storyline and action. We say cutscenes, but much of the tale is told through dialogue boxes and the standard 2D view — there's nothing wrong with that, it has its own charm.

You can see the trailer below and enjoy Link's somewhat awesome hair animation. Are you planning to pick this up when it arrives this week?

Lunapplebloom

Lunapplebloom said:

Most likely getting it when it comes out. Even though I have the original cartridge, can't miss owning it digitally. :)

AlexOlneyStaff

AlexOlney said:

If Mario kart wasn't arriving the very next day to put a dent in my bank account, I'd download this in a heartbeat.

outburst

outburst said:

I guess this game is where Miyamoto got the idea of Pikmin from.

Edit:
Fail, it's the other way around :D

chiptoon

chiptoon said:

Played a bit of this on the ambassadors program and loved it, then got distracted by Metroid Fusion and never went back. Really must make time.

Lunapplebloom

Lunapplebloom said:

@outburst That could have been the case, if it weren't for the fact that Pikmin came out in 2001, whereas Minish Cap released in 2004. :P

Just realized as well that I already have this digitally via the ambassador program. Maybe I'll hold off then for a little bit...

Vriess

Vriess said:

Seeing how ugly it looks all stretched out on my 24" monitor, I figure it will look even worse on my 40" TV... I'll probably stick with the 3DS version that I already have.

ZeroZX_Dev

ZeroZX_Dev said:

Aww man, watching this trailer is bringing back some serious Elementary School flash backs... I remember when this game came out, I was what, 8? Now I'm 18 and goona graduate in a couple of weeks, I feel sooo old now T_T.

Kirk

Kirk said:

I've never really played The Minish Cap but it looks like a really solid game in the Zelda series and probably the best looking 2D Zelda game in terms of art/visuals I'd say.

Mr_G

Mr_G said:

This game is amazing and one of the most underated zeda games ever

sevex

sevex said:

I love this game, but I just replayed it recently. I don't remember the colours looking so washed out though. Maybe Nintendo should offer some darker palette options for GBA games.

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

Never played this one so I'll be buying it for sure. Metroid Fusion was much better than I remembered and the Virtual Console experience was an upgrade from the past ones. Very much looking forward to it.

biglittlejake

biglittlejake said:

I can't wait for this to come to USA. This will be a day one download. It will go good with my Legend of Zelda special edition Gamepad.

Spuratis

Spuratis said:

This game really makes all the other handheld Zelda games look bland. That's why it's the best for me.. Just look at the art and detail of those areas when Link is shrunken. It's pixel greatness. :P

Flowerlark

Flowerlark said:

I love this game, but don't think I'll pick it up. I've had it on GBA since it first came out, plus I have a Game Boy Player on my Game Cube, so I can already play it on the TV.

T7L3R

T7L3R said:

@ZeroZX_Dev A couple of weeks??? I thought most schools got out in early May? Anyways, I'm 20 and I know exactly how you feel. It's crazy that I can feel nostalgic every time one of these GBA titles is released.

ZeroZX_Dev

ZeroZX_Dev said:

@T7L3R Well, in VirginiaBeach we get out June 13th. I'll be graduating on the 12th. I imagine each school district handles things differently.

It feels surreal to call the GBA retro, it feels like yesterday when these games were first released. It becomes weird when you see that publishing date, and realise that these games are old.

T7L3R

T7L3R said:

@ZeroZX_Dev I'm with you on that. It seems like just yesterday I was sitting playing pokemon on my original GBA and I was amazed at how good the graphics were. I'm still a sucker for SNES/GBA style graphics. The Minish Cap was one game I never picked up, though I'm thinking of buying it for my (still working) GBA. Still a little sketched about buying digital with it being locked to one console.

Genesaur

Genesaur said:

Neato. 'Course, my lady just gave me her old copy of the GBA original, so I've no need for this digital rerelease.

SMW

SMW said:

I just had to watch the trailer. Now I need to go dig out my copy and play through it again! :P

Blue-Thunder

Blue-Thunder said:

Unfortunately I've played this gem so I won't be downloading. I played the catridge on the original DS. @PS4 Whaaa, sob, sniff....

Vriess

Vriess said:

@Crimzonlogic
Might as well keep playing it on my 3DSXL. Then I can play it anywhere, for 8 hours on one charge and it doesn't cost me anything more.

khululy

khululy said:

This game is awesome the entire world feels so vivid and alive it's a worthy succesor of the GBC zelda titles

Crimzonlogic

Crimzonlogic said:

@Vriess Okay, I was just suggesting that in case you wanted it for collecting reasons perhaps. I'll be getting it and playing on the gamepad because I don't have it on the 3DS. Can't wait. :)

PS4

PS4 said:

@Crimzonlogic na 1/10 because Wii U is not portable, and Nintendo is effectily putting Portalbe VC on it which will make consumers even more confused.

GBA was portable, GBA on Wii U = Wii U portable? I better go buy one so i can finally play GBA's on the gos without having to get a GBA and weed through fake carts... lol

Crimzonlogic

Crimzonlogic said:

@PS4 Meh, I don't care that it isn't portable. I have other games that are portable if I want to take my games places. I never felt that Zelda games were good portable games, anyway. There are too many distractions in public. I like to play those games in a comfy chair where no one can bug me. ;)

Vriess

Vriess said:

@Crimzonlogic
I do collect the games. I have ALL physical versions :P This digital version doesn't add much value for me personally because I already have it twice now.
Have fun with Minish Cap because it's a blast! :)