The Official Nintendo Magazine in Spain Highlights Super Smash Bros. on 3DS as a September Release

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

That's technically still Summer, if true

Update: The director of Official Nintendo Magazine in Spain has exchanged some clarification tweets with the publisher of the source story, Nintenderos, simply stating that the 3DS entry still has a Summer release without being confirmed for September. In an impressive feat of backtracking that defies the laws of printed words, the magazine was apparently referring to the Summer estimate — this is somewhat counter to the fact it printed September instead of Summer, but those are the breaks.

Original Article:

When Masahiro Sakurai hosted a Super Smash Bros. Direct recently, he provided a Summer release window for the 3DS version. While some may have hoped that the Wii U entry would arrive first, it nevertheless gave us the tantalising prospect of enjoying one of the games in the relatively near future.

It's possible that Nintendo's definition of 'Summer' is stretching the release as far as possible, however. According to the Official Nintendo Magazine in Spain — thanks Nintenderos — the portable entry is expected in September. While that may not fit the season's window for all of us — counting June / July / August as Summer — much of September does qualify in purely astrological terms in territories such as Europe and North America. If true, Nintendo may have been cute with its Summer announcement, albeit arguably a little sneaky.

Of course magazines, even the official variations, can get details like this wrong or make assumptions — the Spanish iteration also suggested Diddy Kong would be playable in Mario Kart 8, which was inaccurate. Until Nintendo provides a definite date, likely at E3, we'll just have to hope it's not too far away.

[via nintenderos.com]

Discipledoctor

Discipledoctor said:

Well, with their inaccurate Diddy assumption, I'm certainly hoping that this is wrong. Maybe it's a misprint and meant to say "before Sepetember"?

I'll keep telling myself that, anyway.

lividd3ad

lividd3ad said:

ONM may be "Official", but as far as I can tell they've never been written from within Nintendo and most of the time they have the same privileges and information as other, unofficial publications.

"Exclusives" like this that have been tucked away without fanfare have as much relevance as if they'd come from NGamer or GamesMaster; that is to say, zero.

AlexSora89

AlexSora89 said:

This is both good and bad news: if true, this is going to be the longest summer ever... but this also means the Sora studio will work on it a bit longer, which never hurts. Quoting Miyamoto: "A delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever".

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@lividd3ad Indeed, I did fling some salt into the article, as this is certainly a "hm, we'll see" one. It's hard to tell as Ninty's been so darn secretive with these games aside from the Direct and screens, we're just hoping they're progressing well.

E3 will likely reveal all.

Phantom_R

Phantom_R said:

If Nintendo is actually releasing Smash Bros. 3DS in technically-summer-September they'd be trolling us even harder than Game Freak.

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

ONM always does stuff like this, I remember back when it was guessing MH3U's date when we haven't even heard the localization announcement. (and they were off, lol)

RedYoshi999

RedYoshi999 said:

If we're going to follow the astrological rule for the 3DS version, then that means the Wii U version, slated for a Winter 2014 release, only has a 10 day release window before it becomes inaccurate. So I'm going to stick to the normal passing of seasons (1st of the month) and hope it's not delayed until September. Part of me still dreams of Nintendo showing it off at E3 followed by an "available after the presentation" but I know that would cause an even bigger meltdown of Nintendo's servers than the Christmas one lol.

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

Releasing it on 3DS mere months prior to releasing it on WU would be foolish. The way it seems right now is probably best as Nintendo will make the current situation be; releasing Mario Kart 8 now for WU to give the system a boost(no pun intended), Smash for 3DS now to not forget that system, either(because even though it's doing great, a co. should never slack), then later this year Smash for WU around Christmas, after MK8 sales have leveled-out/down(leveled out, or settled down, whichever you prefer to say). Releasing them that close would hurt not only the sales of both games, but also the impact it has on the respective systems.

siavm

siavm said:

This series has never hit everywhere around the world at the same time. They may be changing that this time but they may not. Certain places in the US have an August release. And since Japan gets the series first it could come out in July there.

Andremario

Andremario said:

I agree with capt n releasing both mk8 and ssb wii u around the sametimevwould hurt both of the games sales. This is good news if they are releasing the 3ds smash first then wii u later. Remember: we want to give mk 8 plenty of time to move systems b4 rushing towards smash hastily.

brewsky

brewsky said:

I'm sticking with the meteorological season format, so I deem this false, since September is considered autumn in said format.

My guesses remain the same: 3DS in late July/early August and Wii U in late November/early December.

EDIT: Yes, I do realize that November is considered to still be autumn meteorologically, but I think it's close enough for it to still be considered. We'll keep our eyes peeled for a release date at E3, and if that turns up nothing, we'll look for the targeted release date at the Analyst Briefing at E3.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Didn't everyone just assume September when Nintendo said summer? I can't recall Nintendo ever giving a "Season" release date for a big game and that game not coming out the last few days before the season ended, if not later.

Maybe Nintendo will be nice and have it out Friday Aug 29st so everyone (NA) can play it on the beach over the long Labor Day weekend.

What day does Winter 2014 end?

Ebitwomaru

Ebitwomaru said:

Oh my God, the Spanish "Official" Magazine is a total mess!

I'm a Spaniard and I always come to this website to get the right information, so... just do not believe Spanish sources again!

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

It's possible, but it sounds like a placeholder date to me because summer is the very last month of summer. Besides, this is the same magazine that claimed Diddy Kong would be in Mario Kart 8, so I don't believe it.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I'm expecting Smash Bros. 3DS is coming in August, with Smash Bros. Wii U in November.

2Sang

2Sang said:

I was actually expecting a end-of-August release, but as long as it's released before September 21st, they kept their promise.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Why are people so afraid? I know Sakurai is Mr. Delay, but I think a lot of this fear is unfounded. The game's development is obviously growing by leaps and bounds thanks to the massive manpower of Bandai-Namco, and before last year's E3, many thought the games would still take many years to make.

Bulbousaur

Bulbousaur said:

I don't trust ONM Spain to be honest, I'll be waiting until E3 for a date. But I am scared of the dreaded "Please understand"...

Peach64

Peach64 said:

Okay, I keep seeing people throw around this 'Winter only starts on the 21st of December' stuff, but I can't for the life of me figure out why more people aren't stating that Winter differs depending on where in the world you are. In Japan, Winter officially begins on the 8th of November.

Nintonic

Nintonic said:

I hope its not true I am cannot simply go on knowing that Smash Bros. will come out in September, I have waited too long already.

Swiket

Swiket said:

"Thanks to Oscar from Nintenderos for assisting with translation and clarification."

No one speaks Spanish at NintendoLife? :(

epicdude12302

epicdude12302 said:

I hope that this is wrong and that this will be a June or July release! I need a good PORTABLE game to keep me entertained when I travel this Summer!