Weirdness: Vital Information Emerges On Why The Klobb Was Rubbish In GoldenEye 007

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

It was "the runt" of the gun group in the game

GoldenEye 007 on the Nintendo 64 remains an all-time classic, often referred to as the title that revolutionised the idea of the FPS genre on home consoles. As an iconic Rare release it is, unfortunately, locked in licensing limbo, meaning that to play it you need to fire up the cartridge on the original hardware.

Many still do that, of course, due to its enduring popularity. It still fascinates gamers, and those that worked on the project are still able to catch attention by going over little-known details. Its unlicensed guns are one such area of interest, and something that was covered in an intriguing Eurogamer article last year. The game’s producer and director, Martin Hollis, has now spoken to Edge about the Klobb, widely recognised as the worst gun in the game. Speaking affectionately — it seems — about the mediocre weapon, Hollis said the following about its origins and source of inspiration.

The Skorpion is cheaply made in Czechoslovakia, I believe. There’s some kind of Eastern European Mafia connection too. There are various flashy guns in the game, but the Klobb isn’t one of them. It’s not a B-list gun. You might say it’s a K-list gun…

There are a few scenarios in which it’s possible to pick up two Klobbs and dual-wield them. When you do so, it makes an awesome sound and feels fantastic. You think to yourself, ‘Oh, yeah! I’m the s**t’. Until you actually try to shoot an enemy with the gun, that is, and realise that it’s a bit like a noisy water pistol.

It’s both the weakness of the bullets [and] also the wide angle of fire. Many of the guns were highly tuned, but the Klobb was not one of them. It was an unloved character – the runt of the group.

Like other weapons it was also loosely named after members of the development team, with Hollis regretting that the Klobb could be linked to producer Ken Lobb.

For example, we had the DD44 Dostovei, which was named after David Doak. The tradition even carried into follow-up Perfect Dark… But the Klobb was named after Ken Lobb, who was our Nintendo-side producer and contact.

I do slightly regret naming such a poor weapon after him, since I am tremendously fond of the man. He is astonishingly enthusiastic about games, even after years of working in the industry. It’s a little unfair that we named such a useless weapon after him. And for that I am sorry.

As Hollis explains, however, the Klobb was useful in one particular scenario, where its flaws of poor accuracy and weak power were assets.

Dual-wielded Klobbs are astonishingly effective in License To Kill mode. It’s a fast-paced multiplayer game in which there’s not a great deal of time to line up shots with any accuracy. It’s more like ‘spray and pray’, and the Klobb is ideally suited to this style. You can enter a room and let loose with the weapons; the somewhat random spread of bullets makes the gun come into its own.

We still enjoy the occasional round of GoldenEye 007 on the N64, though we don't often seek out the poor old Klobb. If you feel so inclined you can share your memories of this erratic weapon in the comments below.

[via edge-online.com]

Kayvoo

Kayvoo said:

I grab double Klobbs just for the badass noise and the fear it strikes into opponents. Mr. Lobb should be proud. DD44s are my favourites, Dr. Doak always stood out for me because of the Facility speed run cheat. If he wasn't in the correct place I would always hunt him down before my restart.. Hollis is a legend, check out Bonsai Barber!

AJSjedi

AJSjedi said:

Wishful thinking that someday this could be played without using my n64 on wiiu virtual console, and I agree with the fullbringichigo guy...much better than the remake which was great in its own right but their is just something about the original. Easily one of my ALL TIME favorite games

Dark-Link73

Dark-Link73 said:

Ahhh GoldenEye. That was the "Golden-era" of FPS games on consoles. They certainly don't make FPS games like they used to. ;-)

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

I use to use the Klobb alot as it was one of my favorite guns. Never seemed to me that it was that bad. Ah the memories.

ULTRA-64

ULTRA-64 said:

And how can we ignore the golden gun =)
I remember figuring out how to have mismatched pairs of guns and thinking I was the only person in the world who could do it........until the internet happened and I realised I was a fool :p

MarioFan1985

MarioFan1985 said:

I had the Nintendo power Player's Guide to this game, and it as well has said that the Klobb was one of the worst weapons in the game (even worse than the pistols), it also said that if you were going to use it, use 2 to make up for it's "sluggish firepower".

ogo79

ogo79 said:

if they named a gun after me it would have been called the sexy cannon.

cfgk24

cfgk24 said:

I used to love the Klobb! Name, sounds, terrible attributes! I love it!

JonWahlgrenAdmin

JonWahlgren said:

Killing someone with the Klobb must be what it feels like for a Goomba to take out Mario.

Bizzyb

Bizzyb said:

Years later I realized that the Klobb was actually a Scorpion, a pretty badass gun irl

KingGanny

KingGanny said:

I admittedly have never played Golden Eye, but I made up for it in my childhood with Nightfire on my GameCube. As classic as Golden Eye is I have enjoyed so many multiplayer hours with Nightfire that I have no regrets and can't find it in myself to care about playing Golden Eye.

GuruOfGreatness

GuruOfGreatness said:

I always considered the Magnum Cowboy style pistol the worst one TBH. Klobb is a close second though lol.

strongest_link

strongest_link said:

It always felt silly casting aside an automatic weapon for the PP7 pistol, but that was how awful the Klobb was, really.

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

I actually remember quite fondly dual wielding the Klobb with other guns pretty effectively! I guess it is much worse than I remembered!

Klobb

Klobb said:

I love Goldeneye. I even made my account based off of this thing before this article. :P I'm so hip.