Swords & Soldiers HD Catapulting Its Way Onto The Wii U eShop Next Month

Posted by Lewis Childs

To tide us over until the release of Swords & Soldiers 2

Update:

Two Tribes has advised that its original announcement was posted early by accident. As opposed to targeting the end of April, the release window has now been expanded slightly to "April / May".

Original Article:

Swords & Soldiers — the side scrolling RTS which was originally released on WiiWare in 2009 — is heading to the Wii U eShop at the end of April with a shiny HD makeover.

The upgraded version is being handled by the original Swords & Soldiers creator Ronimo Games and fellow Dutch studio, Two Tribes. With the recently announced sequel Swords & Soliders 2 heading to the Wii U eShop sometime in the hopefully not too distant future, the HD remake hopes to tide fans of the series over until the next game's arrival.

Aside from the new visuals Swords & Soldiers HD will offer a number of Wii U optimized features, which include being playable on the GamePad using a custom touch scheme, and a multiplayer mode combining the GamePad and TV. A Wii remote can also be used when playing on the TV,

Although no exact release date has yet been announced due to ongoing localisation and final bug testing, Two Tribes have said that the game will arrive next month with a "low TBA introduction price".

We were certainly fans of the original, awarding it 9/10 in our review, but are you looking forward to this version? As always, let us know in the comments section below.

Thanks to Ryan Miller for the tip

[via twotribes.com]

sgotsch

sgotsch said:

This looks so great. But I'm fearing it will be too hard for me again. ^^

cornishlee

cornishlee said:

Great game. If I had anyone to play multi-player with then I'd certainly buy it again for that feature, which should be a lot of fun.

Emblem

Emblem said:

This is a nice suprise, I'll pick it up for the multiplayer.

I'm guessing this is the PC version with more features. Please make sure the pro controller is supported.

Kiz3000

Kiz3000 said:

Missed this the first time round, and was put off the 3DS version by its reviews, so I look forward to giving this a chance.

Kifa

Kifa said:

How is this a HD remake exactly? The game was released on PS3 and X360, both versions running at HD resolution, so I am 99% positive that we'll just get the X360 port with Gamepad support. Still - that's good, because I no longer have my PS3 and I'd love to play this again. Well, as long as the price is adeqate...

erv

erv said:

For the right price I might pick this up again. The multiplayer thing sounds good.

Mooj738

Mooj738 said:

Good news , wonder how much it will be????!!!??!???!?!!?

Also still a HD remake as the Wii version was SD. However get your point, its already made in HD for XBOX and PS

Chris720

Chris720 said:

Can they fix the game on the 3DS version? That game is beyond buggy and laggy.

element187

element187 said:

Never played it. 9/10 is a high score, so I'll be grabbing it to see what it's about.

rjejr

rjejr said:

As others have said, the HD version has been out for years on other systems, probably worth mentioning in the article. Glad to hear Wiimote support will be added, the game was almost unplayable on PS3 until they added Move support. The video for S&S 2 looks a lot like the PS3 version w/ the ZR and ZL shoulder buttons highlighted on the top of the screen so I was a bit worried.

Have already played this over 80 hours on Wii and finished it again on PS3 and possibly my tablet so I'm not sure I need to pay for this again. Really looking forward to the 2nd though. Guess its going to be awhile :-(

ejamer

ejamer said:

Local multiplayer using gamepad sounds like a fantastic feature add. I've already got the Wii game and don't need another version... but this is pretty tempting. Interested to hear what the pricing will be.

KJ85

KJ85 said:

Well, Two Tribes was quick to remove the information from their website again, and wrote on Twitter that the information was not supposed to come out yet.

Question then remains if it will go up again on April 1st (Fools day) or if it is legit.

SetupDisk

SetupDisk said:

I will get it again. Pretty cool game. I was going to start playing again with the sequel coming out soon but I will wait till this comes out.

JaredJ

JaredJ said:

I have been thinking about downloading this on either WiiWare or psn. Glad I waited. Now I can get it on the eshop.

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

Superb, I'm looking forward to a rematch. I ran out of steam against the Aztecs last time around.

TrueWiiMaster

TrueWiiMaster said:

Assuming this port is better than the 3DS port, and the "low introductory price" is low enough, I'll definitely be getting this game again.

dumedum

dumedum said:

pretty nice. Maybe I'll double dip and get the HD remake, even though I already have the WiiWare version.

Emblem

Emblem said:

@brooks83 No online, they said on their twitter. Two screen local multi-player though. I imagine S&S2 will have online multi though.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

Two Tribes the people who sacked all their employees but kept the IP to milk using a similar thing to Hollywood accounting.

Pixel-Perfect

Pixel-Perfect said:

If I get a discount on it for having the original downloaded in Wii mode, then count me in. If not, nah. Also, boooo.

Monkeh

Monkeh said:

@Pixel-Perfect I agree with this boo. Probably won't be getting this now, especially after having seen how good Swords & Soldiers 2 looks (plus I already own Swords & Soldiers HD on Steam [and the original on WiiWare], but still would have gotten this IF it had a fair price).