Activision Fires Free Fall DLC Onto Call of Duty: Ghosts for Wii U

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

And it's free, free Free Fall

When Activision released Call of Duty: Ghosts, it was well known long before it even arrived that there'd be plenty of DLC and updates to rope you into playing the game well beyond that initial release buzz. Wii U owners have received a number of updates to improve the game's performance, but until now DLC has been elusive and restricted to other platforms.

Somewhat quietly and without fanfare Activision has switched things up, with the latest update including a prompt to jump onto the eShop and download the "Free Fall" multiplayer map for free. The fact it's a freebie isn't a particularly big deal, as it was previously an incentive with pre-orders on other systems, but it's notable that it's on the eShop to download rather than simply being dropped straight into the game. If you're an optimist, which we hope you are, it perhaps opens up the potential for additional maps to be available to buy from the store in future.

If you happen to have Ghosts on the Wii U the full update notes can be found on the official changelog, with the DLC sitting rather inoffensively at the top. Will you be grabbing this and battling within a collapsing skyscraper? It's free Free Fall, after all.

Thanks to Paul and Jaxon Holden for the tip.

Lord

Lord said:

That's cool looks like Activision are the only third party still interested in supporting the Wii U, (spiderman, skylanders,cod) keep it up.

EaZy_T

EaZy_T said:

I would've bought Ghosts day one if Activision had let me download it from the eShop. Strange that they'll put the DLC there, but not the game itself.

matirishhh

matirishhh said:

Awesome. Bought Ghosts on Wii U from pure curiosity, and after 12hrs I think this is the best version, thanks to wiimote controls!
I'm gonna play that map all right!

cheleuitte

cheleuitte said:

Ghost WiiU version is better than 360 & PS3 and I have it, so I'll play those extra maps!

AdanVC

AdanVC said:

This is much appreciated, Activision! :D Actually, once I finish DKC: Tropical Freeze, this would be my next game to beat. It would be my first CoD game since CoD 2 on Game Cube!!

Thearnaud44

Thearnaud44 said:

OMG r u serious I did not see that coming at all, especially for free! (get it because it called" Free for all")

Edit: Damn they already made the joke!

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

Now that's just plain nice! Maybe this time I will get myself to level 60. Ten levels to go... and hope Treyarch is porting the new COD for Wii U this year as well.

heathenmagic

heathenmagic said:

ooh nice will download this. thanks! Hope there may be more in store. And does Black Ops 2 not deserve the same attention?

matirishhh

matirishhh said:

@Lord Let our hopes hold high. There is no need for negative thinking. If they do what can we do? For now UBI is the biggest WIIU supporter...and provides the best games for the system

Emblem

Emblem said:

I picked this up when the price dropped to £25 and its been a blast playing safeguard and extinction local and online. Glad they are supporting those who picked this up.

bigtig

bigtig said:

awesome! never expected this! wiimote control in ghost is amazing! thanks treyarch! more dlc!

DESS-M-8

DESS-M-8 said:

Will they be putting the game itself on eshop? If they do that aswell, I'll actually buy the game finally.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Did anybody else read the title as some free DLC was scheduled to come out in Autumn?

Good to see Wii U eShop DLC support.

vnminh1999

vnminh1999 said:

COD's not my cup of tea, but it's nice to see activision still somewhat supporting the wii u, unlike some other developers...

SphericalCrusher

SphericalCrusher said:

That is awesome! I will be downloading and playing it tonight! I was upset that Black Ops 2 on Wii U never got DLC, as I played that game religiously, but Ghosts is fun as well. I'm just excited for CoD DLC on this platform. w00t!

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

DLC for Wii U, and it is free? I never thought I would say this, but thanks, Activision.

Kiokothepirate

Kiokothepirate said:

I'm just shocked that a COD game got any kind of DLC on a Nintendo Console. Too bad I don't own and do not plan to own Ghosts.

Mooj738

Mooj738 said:

@EaZy_T its weird its through the eShop maybe they are getting ready to provide DLC on the next game???? or even this one!

PrincessSugoi

PrincessSugoi said:

Don't have the game but thanks Activision. I don't recall seeing any reports on their game sales so I have to wonder what they look like since they're still supporting the U.

JonnyN

JonnyN said:

This is a good start. I think they should give us DLC for free so everyone has it so there is no match making issues but we get it late because that would give no reason for people to pay for it on other consoles. The reason I say this is because Activision wouldn't do it otherwise

Dark-Link73

Dark-Link73 said:

This is so cool! I can't wait to get home and play it. There's hope we might get some other maps. Even if we don't, getting Free Fall makes perfect sense because it is, after all, a free map so technically Activision didn't lose any money. :-D

Thank you Activision.

Agent721

Agent721 said:

What the...Man, this is awesome! Ghosts on the Wii U rocks! Me & my GF play coop via the gamepad...can't do that on any other system! I will be downloading it for sure. As a long time COD fan who's played all the previous entries on either a 360 or PS3, I think Ghosts is great & the Wii U version is superb.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@Agent721

Exactly. The gamepad allows two people to play together without a split screen, which means a lot to someone like me. I played with my friend, and it was so nice not having the dang split screen going on. In fact, he used motion while I used the gamepad.

ViolinGamer

ViolinGamer said:

@Shiryu Actually, the developer for the next Call of Duty game is Sledgehammer Games. Who knows what they're up to? You'll have to wait another year for Treyarch's next game, sorry :/

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

@ViolinGamer You miss understood me. Treyarch was responsible for producing "Black Ops II", converting "Ghosts" to the Wii U and hopefully will also convert the next futuristic COD coming out this year for Wii U as well. Treyarch always handles Nintendo hardware, they did amazing work on the Wii too!

vio

vio said:

@Dark-Link73
Please do NOT thank Activision for this. While it's nice to have and free, it was already available for the other consoles anyway. We Wii U owners do not get what matters. Activision refuses to releases the tons of awesome DLC packs. They never released any of them for the Wii U version of Black Ops 2 and it looks like Ghosts is going to get the same treatment. Of course the 360 and PS3 get them all. That's crap and I'm sick of it.