Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed Finally Hitting the Track in Japan

Posted by Tim Latshaw

"You're too--uh... what was it, again...?"

Most often, a cool game gets released in Japan and the rest of the world languishes, wondering when it will ever hit their corner of the planet — if it even will in the first place. However, now and then Japan is the last to receive a title, and that is most definitely the case with Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed.

As you may recall, Sega's racer was released in Europe and North America in November 2012, alongside the release of the Wii U. Japan did not receive similar treatment, but according to Famitsu, the game will finally see a release for the Wii U and PS3 on 15th May, about 18 months later. No word has been given for versions on other systems, including the 3DS.

In light of the fact that the upcoming Sonic Boom is said to be a western release only, it appears Sega's strategy with its main mascot really does vary by region. We proved to be fans of the Sumo Digital-developed racer in our review, however, so it's great Japanese players will have a chance behind the wheel now, too.

Are you still playing Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed? Do you believe it still holds up — perhaps enough to seek out some Japanese players this May? Let us know in the comments.

[via famitsu.com, nintendoeverything.com]

Kyloctopus

Kyloctopus said:

The fact is, Sonic never did well in the japanese market. He's always been known as a western character. Not one Sonic game in japan has reached One Million copies, or even 500K copies sold, unless the game was shared with Mario.
As opposed to the 10+ That had in Europe and 20+ that did so in North America.
Hence why Sonic Boom, a game tailored for a western cartoon, will not release in Japan, and this took so long.
I wonder if there was a fan outcry for the game to come out...

WiiULoveSquid

WiiULoveSquid said:

Might re download this. Played it too much and may e there are more people online these days?

JeffreyG

JeffreyG said:

Still play this game every now and then, it's a fantastic kart racer and the music has to be one of my favorite soundtracks of all time.

THENAMESNORM

THENAMESNORM said:

Brilliant game, loved it at launch and was the real surprise of the launch. Absolute Gem of a game. Not often a game excels on WiiU over it's counterparts but this is defo a game that does. People looking for a game to tide them over until MK8?? This is it. And it's cheap!

rjejr

rjejr said:

No mention in the article that it's set to release the same month as Mario Kart 8?

They wait 18 months to release it and thats the date they pick? Wonder which will sell better? (thats not a real question)

CrazyOtto

CrazyOtto said:

Not a bad time to release, it's like saying "You love Mario Kart 8 want more courses? Give Sonic Racing Transformed a go as well!"

MuchoMochi

MuchoMochi said:

I'm no fan of region locking but I can see that it definitely saves Nintendo's bacon when they have no upcoming releases in Japan, NA, or Europe. All they have to do it localize it and boom, the fans get a new game they can buy.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

I still play Sonic Racing Transformed every now & then. I always wondered why I hadn't seen anyone online with a Japanese name, now I know why haha.

FilmerNgameR

FilmerNgameR said:

@Kyloctopus I find it really weird how the Japanese like a fat Italian plumber more than a cool looking blue hedgehog who actually looks Japanese. O.o

Funny_Moblin

Funny_Moblin said:

@OdnetninAges Truth is, I barely know about Sega other than Sonic. I played through the whole game. I barely knew most of the characters, tracks, and other references that were for Sega fans, and yet this is my favourite racing game ever. And I think barely knowing the game's content and having it as my favourite racing game really says something.

After playing this game, I used to want Nintendo to make the next Mario Kart more like this. But then I realized they are meant to be different when my family coudn't ever get the hang of Racing Transformed, as opposed to all the Mario Kart Wii games we played. But still, Racing Transformed is by far the best.

PS4

PS4 said:

7/10

Took off 3 points because you didn't mention what versions Japan is getting, which is apparently PS/U versions only...

sumofeet

sumofeet said:

Good for them, this game is fantastic. I'm still playing it with my boyfriend on PC. :)

Luffy

Luffy said:

wait you can play this online and battle ppl? dam I shoulda bought it long ago? now I guess i'll wait for Mario k8 unless I can get this for cheap

readyletsgo

readyletsgo said:

I played this on launch when a friend lent it to me. Finally got around to buying my own sealed copy this week. AWESOME game!

withoutdk

withoutdk said:

good game... but it has its flaws.... it lags pretty often... and some minor bugs in graphics here and there... but it is fun... :D

seronja

seronja said:

i never had it on the Wii-U, finnished it for the xbox360 & i also got it on the Vita since it was free with PS+ around 2 months ago, so yes i still play it.

GunstarHero234

GunstarHero234 said:

Guess what the good news though Japan don't even have to worry about this because the PS4 Launch is coming in a couple of weeks yay for them........

FX102A

FX102A said:

I rarely play the game unless in the mood for some racing or local multiplayer with friends but damn does it have some of the best designed tracks I've ever seen.

Mario Kart 8 better offer something special, those Skies of Arcadia and Afterburner stages were awesome!

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

rjejr wrote:

My thoughts exactly.
So sadly i wouldn't expect much more online activity than the painful little there is atm.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

I got this game shortly after getting my Wii U and I love it. The only thing that saddens me about it is seeing so many awesome classic Sega franchises without recent installments. I wish Atlus would take Sega's offer of using any of its IPs.

TimLatshawAdmin

TimLatshaw said:

@Uberchu "Japan did not receive similar treatment, but according to Famitsu, the game will finally see a release for the Wii U and PS3 on 15th May, about 18 months later. No word has been given for versions on other systems, including the 3DS."

Is this what you were looking for?

banacheck

banacheck said:

SEGA are bad for doing stuff like this, had to wait ages for Anarchy Reigns but 18 months is nuts.

CrimsonMoonMist

CrimsonMoonMist said:

Love the game and you'd think a more boost-focused, larger scale and much more challenging alternative to Mario Kart would sell like sliced bread over in Japan.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@Kyloctopus Comparing one country against entire continents though. How well did he do comparing Japan against a country of equal size in Europe or a state of similar size in the US.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@THENAMESNORM All the console versions are 30fps. (Mobile (On the right hardware) and PC are 60fps). It is disappointing because the Wii U has better hardware than some of the mobile configs which manage 60fps.

Dreamcaster-X

Dreamcaster-X said:

The best Kart racer since Double Dash!!! Yeah I said it, I think it's much better than MK Wii!!! This was a straight up hardcore kart racer that challenged you with gorgeous bright colorful graphics, amazing tracks, creative vehicles, & nostalgic music!! It's a shame the Wii U version didn't get the DLC that the PC did. I love racing around as Ryo!!

Dreamcaster-X

Dreamcaster-X said:

@unrandomsam Yeah but the mobile ones are really gimped graphically. Even the Wii U, PS3, & 360 versions had stuff cut out that is in the PC version.
There's so much more going on in the PC version via backgrounds & foreground stuff that the console versions just couldn't run with their limited RAM. I was delighted to get the PC version recently & experience the "full version", I had no idea so many little things were going to be added.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@Dreamcaster-X I am not bothered about gimped graphically. Fzero GX managed 4 player split screen without dropping the frame rate so they could have done it. They had no problems with the framerate on Lost World (But did with Generations)

Dreamcaster-X

Dreamcaster-X said:

@unrandomsam Yeah but F-Zero as beautiful as it is just didn't have the same amount of background animations & physics to deal with as Sonic All Stars. That stuff really eats up the RAM and processing power.

Ruthven

Ruthven said:

I’ve enjoyed the game so much I have it on both Wii U and Steam… the only issue I have with the Wii U version is no DLC and no racers seem to be online to race with.

Dreamcaster-X

Dreamcaster-X said:

@pcruthven Same here. I just had my first gaming PC built a few weeks ago & it was one of the first titles I downloaded & that was after putting more hours into it than any of my other Wii U titles. It was the best launch title that came out with Wii U in my opinion.