Unepic Confirmed for 16th January on the North American Wii U eShop

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

GamePad and TV screens shown off

Unepic is an RPG adventure title that was confirmed for the Wii U eShop in 2013, even featuring in some official sizzle reel footage. It's the work of Barcelona-based Francisco Téllez de Meneses and is being published by EnjoyUp Games, a name likely to be familiar to Nintendo download enthusiasts.

It certainly looks promising, with plenty of depth on offer with crafting, extensive items, levelling up, large bosses and multiple endings all included as part of the trek through a mysterious castle. It's now had its North American release date confirmed, 16th January, while EnjoyUp games has tweeted a screen of the GamePad and TV displays.

Off-TV play will also be supported, and as a project that's been two years in the making it'll be interesting to see how this turns out; the European release date hasn't been confirmed at the time of writing. The latest trailer is below — is this on your radar?

AK-1138

AK-1138 said:

Looks pretty unepic, alright. But what did you expect from anything even remotely associated with D&D?

BigH88

BigH88 said:

Wow it really looks unepic. I wanna like it but I can't. Maybe if they release a demo and I play it I'll change my opinion.

MAB

MAB said:

I prefer these indie games more than the overrated AAA (if you can really call them that) games ;)

Samurai-Kinopio

Samurai-Kinopio said:

Wow. Doesn't look that great at all ---- at all. Jeeeez, can't Nintendo get some solid games going on the eShop? Considering it's been out a year, there's not much available - and don't list me some games that you think are grand, I get it. There are some good games, but saying this, there aren't enough.

Is it that hard (that's what she said), to have Game Cube game available?

Sometimes it's like Nintendo is full of lazy stoners that don't want to bring in the cash. It's so effin' odd.

Nareva

Nareva said:

I think it looks pretty fun, not sure why everyone's so down on it.

Samurai-Kinopio

Samurai-Kinopio said:

@MAB Then why own a console? Just game on PC via Steam. Don't get me wrong, I loooove all kinds of games, but nothing beats a solid AAA game, such as a Legend of Zelda or The Elder Scrolls entry!

RedRocBoy

RedRocBoy said:

Looks cool will definitely pick it up. And did they change the graphics a bit because early it lookedva bit crappy.

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

If the gameplay portion gets good reviews, I may give it a try. The setting and story currently aren't doing it for me.

Swiket

Swiket said:

The gameplay looks alright, but the writing and humor really fall flat...

MixMasterMudkip

MixMasterMudkip said:

I really hope this is good. Been waiting for something like this on Wii U, but I'm with everyone else. This does really need to prove it's worth, and the voice acting seems to have been a odd choice, but hopefully you can turn it off... maybe

Edit: I just found that it should be 9.99$ in US. I guess that's fine. I feared 14.99$ could of been the case. Also, this is coming from the website. It says purchase on digital platforms for 9.99$. I'm assuming this means Wii U.

64supermario

64supermario said:

@KrautMcFriend Psyconauts did, I really loved that game more than all the AAA games that were out....but that was on my Xbox, I also love the AAA titles like Zelda and Metroid, but you can't say that indie games can't be just as good.

I mean, look at a Hat in Time. I don't even care what else comes out that year, that game will be my Game of the Year, 85% sure.

luke88

luke88 said:

@Barsteward1 Hey, there's a book called 'the conquest of happiness' by a guy called Bertrand Russell, in one part of it he makes a really good case for not making fun of other people's hobbies, I used to do it to before I read it; you should read it. : )

BooJoh

BooJoh said:

Ugh, I just bought this on Steam during the holiday sale for a few bucks after reading that the Wii U version had a projected release date of March. Now I'm rather torn because the game is good, but it'd play much better on a console since I don't have a decent PC controller.

To those saying it doesn't look good... wat? I've played a little bit on PC and while the humor is a bit dry and the game references are rather heavy-handed, the game itself is a pretty cool Metroidvania with heavy RPG elements.

MAB

MAB said:

Yeah, there is nothing like relaxing on the couch with a big 50 inch 1080p HDTV a gaming console and a beer in my hand ;)

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

It is still not even finished. (The multiplayer mode). Is it going to be included in this or not ? (Cannot see Nintendo letting them patch it all the time).

BooJoh

BooJoh said:

@unrandomsam I'm currently using the Mayflash Wii CC to PC USB adapter but my CC doesn't show up as a 360 controller, so some games don't want to cooperate with it. Usually Joy2Key is a good enough workaround for those games, but in the case of Unepic it uses some special trigger/bumper shortcuts that aren't available unless using the game's native controller support.

Asaki

Asaki said:

I hope they re-translate this before releasing it on the WiiU. I played the demo and the English translation was really bad.

@BigH88 There's a demo of the PC version.

SKTTR

SKTTR said:

I need an odd original RPG experience like this from time to time. One of my most anticipated indie games. Hope they don't rush it and bring the best version possible to Wii U.

And yes @ post above. EnjoyUp needs better translators.

Mr_Nose

Mr_Nose said:

I can't believe some of the comments here. This is an insta-snag as far as I'm concerned. I can already tell I'm going to love this game.

MAB

MAB said:

@Mr_Nose Yeah, just like Knytt Underground... If you don't get that game then you're definitely missing out on a Metroidvania gem ;)

Mr_Nose

Mr_Nose said:

Just waiting for payday, pal-o-mine. (^_^)

Had my eye on that one for a while, now.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

This looks like a very good game to me. Will wait for a review but from what i can see its a must buy! Nice animation and awesome weapons and spells like say a Castlevania!

audreypots

audreypots said:

looks good to me, probably a day 1 download... any ideas for multiplayer locally? can i play this with my daughter?

Gigan

Gigan said:

This actually looks fun. Depending on the price I'll probably pick this up.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

Game is going to have to get crazy good reviews for me to consider. I'm sorry, but that title, it's awful. "Epic" is the most overrated word from the past two years. It now means "ordinary" in my book. And the dialogue in the game from the trailer is very amaterurish. But the gameplay looks alright. We shall see. Won't write it off, but first impression not a good one.

S-Miyahon

S-Miyahon said:

Looks okay, I guess... But I'll only get this game if it scores an 8 or higher here.

AyeHaley

AyeHaley said:

All those indie games are finally (slowly) getting released. Can't wait to check this one out, better hurry up getting this on the EU eShop Nintendo!

Volmun

Volmun said:

Do ppl not get its ment to be a Joke? Its ferly obvios from the tital being UNepic. It is about time game devs relaxed again and made a game thats just Fun they were all so scered to triy new things (hence i leen more to Nintendo now a days) and were happy to stick with the generic junk we see on a yearly baceses. I was playing Shadow of the Collosus the otger day (1st time on the "HD" ver) and after I completed it for a vrake i went to play Dragons Dogma a game i liked and felt was simmiler to it... after about 5 minits i was bord stiff another example is a game like Conkers Bad Furrday (on N64) companys are so scered to do that humer again at risck of offending some one (Thats what age rattings and "whats in this game" siymbals are for....) the only games that even come close to it are Bulletstorme (undrated game) and Borderlands 1 and 2 (again quite undrated as it dosnt have a VS death match rubbish... ) eh... iv sortof lost track... well eniway point being the game Unepic is a joke'ish game hence the "UN" witch means NOT so yeah..

LDXD

LDXD said:

@KrautMcFriend #9 that doesn't make any since people play PC for AAA titles too just like people play consoles for indies and its true to some degree most of these AAA titles are outshined by some of these indies
Too me elder scrolls hasn't been as good since morrowind
BTW did you see skywind?

element187

element187 said:

@MAB AAA refers to the budgets involved, not the creativity, originality or quality. So yes a lot of what is referred to as AAA is exactly that: an expensive game...... Most are "meh"

LDXD

LDXD said:

@element187 yeah I agree every now and then you get an AAA game that's a gem but most seem to try and be a Michel Bay film and the kiddies eat that up

Bejeeta

Bejeeta said:

This is a great game, I still play it on PC. Nice controls, good idea and very nice music.

Captain_Gonru

Captain_Gonru said:

I'll need a review before I buy, but I am interested. I agree with others, though, the voice acting is a bit annoying.

ProfanePelican

ProfanePelican said:

This seems like a familiar formula, which may explain why the trailer's narrator offered comic relief. I think it seems charming and potentially fun, but yeah, a review would help in my decision to download it.

FritzFrapp

FritzFrapp said:

Really like the look of this. Something about it reminds me of the ZX Spectrum minor-classic Sir Fred.