Feature: A Week of Super Smash Bros. Wii U and 3DS Screens - Issue Twenty Two

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

New stage! Luma! Edge mechanics! More!

Another week has passed, which means we've enjoyed more Super Smash Bros. screens. Masahiro Sakurai served up more goodies on the Super Smash Bros. Director's Room on Miiverse as always; there were some good'uns.

There were two notable posts last week, with Sakurai-san reiterating that there'd be no Subspace Emissary-style story in the new games while also showing a glimpse of a new 3DS stage, and there were also some details on changes to edge-grabbing medchanics, for you Smash Bros. pros out there. Beyond that, there are some attractive screenshots to take in.

So, last week's screens are below, and as always you can click on the date heading to visit the Miiverse posts in question and give them a Yeah.

20th January

21st January

22nd January

23rd January

24th January

That's another week of images for the new Super Smash Bros. games. Let us know what you think in the poll and comments below.

What's your favourite Smash Bros. screen this week? (364 votes)

Mario poses in a mysterious new stage

12%

Luma puts on its "I will SMASH YOU" face

13%

Link hangs on, worries about chubby Mario landing on him

13%

Zelda and Rosalina prepare for Viridi's wrath

36%

Link and Toon Link are on board Alfonzo's hype train

19%

Um, I can't decide

To be honest, I don't like any of them

Please login to vote in this poll.

Related Games

AlexSora89

AlexSora89 said:

Given there are two 3DS screens today, I've had a hard time choosing :P
Then again, the Adventure Mode screen was a no-brainer.

SheldonRandoms

SheldonRandoms said:

Viridi looks like she's going to drop something on them, but I totally forgot what that thing was ;)

Pit-Stain

Pit-Stain said:

Going with the Viridi one. I'm a big fan of Kid Icarus: Uprising and I always wanted a stage hazard like this. :D

WingedSnagret

WingedSnagret said:

I'm surprised that NL never made an article about the whole Palutena leak thing. Heck, GameXplain never comments on Smash rumors and even they gave their two cents on it.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Viridi wins this week easily for me. That's the most menacing I've ever seen her look yet. it was also a brilliant response to the alleged Palutena "leak" that caused quite a stir on the web and Miiverse. Odd that NL never made an article about it.

The 3DS Adventure Mode is second, just because it does a good job of showing the mysterious potential of the new Adventure Mode these games will have. The locale Mario's in is definitely not Donkey Kong-related, so it's either Pokemon-related or a completely original location. Mario was also seen running through a possible Donkey Kong Country Returns-inspired stage in the debut trailer, but it's interesting to notice that the levels look pretty empty. Sakurai is likely keeping the enemies hidden. I'd love if we could fight our way through actual Nintendo enemies rather than oddities like the Subspace creatures, and to top it all off, a classic boss based on the series the level is representing.

Player4

Player4 said:

Definitely the picture with Viridi, I mean look how menacing she is! Just awesome. But does this mean she ain't a playable character? ūüėē

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@WingedSnagret It's case by case, depending on the sources, our own instincts etc. Our goal is to improve choices, like anything, so at the moment we try and decide whether we trust the source and feel the rumour is feasible. I can't talk to all past posts, just say that we generally debate the merits of these sorts of rumours at the moment and try to prioritise the stronger ones.

Palutena as a playable character is just about feasible, but the images weren't ‚ÄĒ certainly not in my opinion. The game screens themselves certainly look convincing, but the images didn't ring quite true in terms of how photographs of the 3DS screen actually look. From my perspective, I won't speak directly for others, I was unconvinced right from the off. Smash Bros. is always prone to loads of 'leaks' that are no such thing, too.

Maybe we're wrong and they were legit, in which case we look forward to more convincing "leaked screens" or an official announcement.

@123akis Indeed, I know :) Some had been asking to see the Sakurai posts in full, anyway, so the change to the official Miiverse thread images (you can still save copies of other users' images) just gave me a nudge to use this format.

Monkeh

Monkeh said:

Going to go with the 'edge-grabbing medchanics'-screenshots, seeing as that sounds like it's going to be quite interesting!

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

Pretty good week still didn't stop the endless barrage of complaints and demands.

Player4

Player4 said:

@ShadJV It indeed is.. I do hope there will be more representation for the Kid Icarus franchise, e.g. Palutena and Pittoo(!)

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

Girls Night, Rosalina & Luma, Edge-grabbing mechanics.

But they're all good.

Yosher

Yosher said:

Gotta go with the first one for confirming a sort of adventure mode for single player. I enjoyed that in the previous two entries, so glad to see it back, even if it's not on such a large scale as the SSE was (which I personally enjoyed a lot).

KingDunsparce

KingDunsparce said:

@Pichubby Well, there was a "leak". It depends on if you think the pictures were real or not. I personally think that her face looks weird in the pictures, but the rest is pretty convincing to me. I'm going to go with fake though.

Nintendo_Ninja

Nintendo_Ninja said:

My favorite was the mysterious Mario picture. Someone on ign actually might have found a match. He said it looks like the Tales of Symphonia Dawn of the New World the Ginnungagap area, remenber the game is develop co with nancom creator of the tales series.

AlbertoC

AlbertoC said:

Zelda, Rosalina and Viridi in one picture. There's one thing i thought i would never see.

What if there is additional dialogue while Pit is in the Kid Icarus stage, like Fox and Falco on Corneria and Snake on Shadow Moses Island in Melee and Brawl? What if Viridi has, once again, the talent of her KI:U voice actress Hynden Walch? As if like this SSB wasn't awesome enough?

Patience is a virtue, they say...

EDIT: Thanks for other commenters for pointing the Palutena "leak". And thanks NL for not posting about it. That aside, if the screenshots are not edited she probably is an assist trophy. Why jump to "she is playable" conclusions so fast?

IceClimbers

IceClimbers said:

Definitely the Viridi picture. Hoping there is another character to represent the Kid Icarus franchise besides Pit. Hoping for either Palutena or Magnus.

Also, something tells me that Phosphora will be in the game as an Assist Trophy.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Now with Viridi confirmed as a stage hazard or background character, I hope Magnus is an assist trophy and Palutena and Hades are playable, with Palutena announced in a Nintendo Direct and Hades kept hidden as a secret character.

OdnetninAges

OdnetninAges said:

Tough choice between the 1-Player screen, and the Viridi screen.

I went with the Viridi screen in the end, though. I'm excited to play on that stage, and I'm interested in what Viridi will do.

LunarHalo24

LunarHalo24 said:

Couldn't decide between the Viridi picture and the 1-player picture. I love Kid Icarus Uprising to death, but it's also nice to see a glimpse of another mode other than the standard battle mode.

Nomad

Nomad said:

The Viridi one wins for me. I hope they put her in Smash for Wii U too.

LavaTwilight

LavaTwilight said:

I'm guessing the first screenshot is in a single-player mode of sorts... it would seem pointless to reiterate a lack of SSE with that screenshot unless it was part of single-player / campaign. What would be awesome though is if there were two seperate campaigns for the 2 consoles. It'll make a double-purchase all the more inviting!

LavaTwilight

LavaTwilight said:

Incidentally I too chose the Viridi one. Not because I like Kid Icarus though like many here, never played it, but simply because it's the better picture of the 5 (imo).

SockoMario

SockoMario said:

The first screenshot isn't really a normal stage. It's an area apart of the single player mode.

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

I'd really like to see that entire Kid Icarus stage. And I'd really like to see Magnus as a playable character - you can't tell me he wouldn't fit in this game.

Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano said:

The first screenshot reminds me of Torvus Bog from Metroid Prime 2 to an extent. Although I don't like the area (compulsory Dark Pirate Commando battles every time you enter some rooms), a Metroid Prime 2 stage would be perfect for Smash Bros. as you could be transported between Aether and Dark Aether and have different types of Ing as stage hazards for Dark Aether. Maybe even have the atmosphere damage you like it does ingame before obtaining the Light Suit.