3DS System Update 7.1.0-15 is Available Now

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

We're digging all this extra stability

Just when the 3DS was settling down into a January stupor, Nintendo's gone and released a fresh system update. What does it do? Well, not much, and it's probably designed to stop naughty people doing things they shouldn't, such as hacking it.

Update 7.1.0-15 is one of those quick downloads that makes your system that much more stable. Below is the official description from Nintendo.

Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience

So there you have it. Your system should prompt you to update or do so itself eventually — or when you try and log into the eShop, perhaps — while you can always do it manually. We do like overall system stability, though suspect the "minor adjustments" aren't for our benefit.

Goginho

Goginho said:

Oh what a digital world. I kinda miss those simpler times of the Game Boy. Oh no, the title's all scrambled! blow into cartridge :P lol That's the best of updates we could get. Now it seems like every month we get an invisible improvement. I do wonder how long this will go on for, these "stability updates". Is it something that has to consistently keep happening, or is it something that can reach a final stage, and then that's it, no more stability updates necessary?

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

It literally just applied. There wasn't a download wait, or anything.

SilentHunter382

SilentHunter382 said:

Nice to see more improvements done to the system.

@Goginho ah I forgot those days. Had to do it a lot with my copy of Rad Gravity. Speaking of that game, I really want activision to release that game on the VC.

Kolzig

Kolzig said:

I would really like this or some future update to make the 3DS faster in Miiverse, it's a bit too slow in loading compared to the really smooth operating on PC browser Miiverse or Wii U Miiverse.

Also Streetpass daily coin amount should be increased from 10 to 20 and the maximum of 300 to maybe 500.

oats-81

oats-81 said:

-System Update 1991-
"just push it down and put the black sleeve in the left corner and if that don't work we'll use the game genie and bypass the code screen."

~...ahhh....primitive engeneering.....~

Sionyn

Sionyn said:

system data archive 00018002 was updated. Starting with 7.1.0-15, the "dummy.txt" file was removed from file system this CFA contains data for NNID / networking, etc.
also the 8bit file that contains system version number and region.

Spooky

Spooky said:

Although I did it back in the day myself, I cringe whenever people blow in carts. It actually makes things worse in the long term. For the love of NES please use rubbing alcohol!

NewUser

NewUser said:

@Goginho
As far as Software engineering and operating system stability and performance improvements, you can always update and make it better, as long as you work hard on it. The more time you spend with the system and its code, the more occasions you will find where a little change in the details of the code can improve it according to your needs. I have "updated" the first game i made from scratch in logo over 20 times after it was finished. Not all of them were major changes, but theeffects were recognizeable.

Goginho

Goginho said:

@NewUser Oh. So it's never-ending basically. Because like a drawing/painting, you can always add to the picture you create, like little details, more shading and what not, but you can stop and say it's good enough, it looks finished.

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

@Sionyn Wait, is that part of the update? Sounds like cleaning up some old stuff and storing it in archives instead of separate files...

Sir_JBizzle

Sir_JBizzle said:

@oats-81 I always pushed it down, and jiggled the cart to the left and right until I found the perfect position, then slipped the sleeve (or another game) in to hold it in place. The Game Genie method worked as well... Man, this makes me feel antique. Haha

Philip_J_ReedStaff

Philip_J_Reed said:

@MrSRArter
I'm not doubting you, but I've never had that issue. That's interesting. Do you have a particularly large amount of DSiWare or something? Very curious.

paburrows

paburrows said:

@Goginho Probably never, its like a dam everytime you see a leak Nintendo has to patch it up and the hackers & illegal download people keep poking holes in the dam.

Captain_Gonru

Captain_Gonru said:

@Philip_J_Reed @MrSRArter I've had this problem, too. It's just the DSiWare, too. I have all my downloaded games in one folder (eShop, if anyone cares), and occasionally the DSiWare games are out on the main menu. The 3DS eShop games are where I left them, complete with any of the holes left behind by the now-vacated DSiWare. It's isn't a huge deal, as I only have a couple of the older games on my 3DS (I left anything on my DSiXL instead of transfering it). Still, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one.
If it matters, I have a launch 3DS, so maybe it's an incompatibility with my Ambassador certificate. Time for another update!

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

Translation - We update the system every once in a while to prevent the system from being hacked to play ROMs.

gregrout

gregrout said:

If I were to guess I'd say this update probably address the new region lock hack.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@NewUser It doesn't always make much difference though. DEC implementing the idle loop in hardware being a particularly amusing one.

Artie

Artie said:

@Frapp Yes! This times a million! Was just ranting about this in another post. Thing is, I don't believe it will happen with current hardware. We import aficionados need to let Nintendo know that region-free should be a given in an increasingly culturally blended society. They still make money when someone imports new software.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@heathenmagic Not really there are some good and some bad things. The mod's for NSMBW are the most fun I have had with a 2D Mario game since Mario World. Other stuff that is known about the Wii could if you can read save you paying £70 (Or whatever the equivalent $ cost is) getting a Wii fixed just to complete a system transfer to a Wii U (A console that is otherwise redundant and worth say £20). One bad block and it will fail. Mark the block as factory bad / format and then redownload everything and that will do it. There will become a point where the eshops etc are no longer available / Nintendo won't fix hardware as it is too old. At that point the only methods for repairs and stuff will be what have been found by those hackers. (Or only use cartridges but the DLC will be unavailable even if you paid for it etc etc).

KittenKoder

KittenKoder said:

@Artie Region segregation is more complex than "we just want it." Too complex to explain it here without completely straying from the topic at hand.

I like system updates, let's me know I'm still up to date on the hardware.

Philip_J_ReedStaff

Philip_J_Reed said:

Wow. So interesting. I don't think I have much DSiWare saved anymore (I know I have Mr. Driller, Four Swords, Spin Six, Dark Void Zero and probably another couple) so maybe it's something to do with how much you have.

Whatever it is, very curious.

CrazyOtto

CrazyOtto said:

@Philip_J_Reed Not really, I have Mr. Driller DTYD, Photo Dojo, Four Swords, Petit Computer, Inchworm Animation, Rhythm Core Alpha 2, and Animal Crossing Clock (actually has a point since the 3DS doesn't have an alarm clock, heh).

Nintendo3ds0

Nintendo3ds0 said:

@MrSRArter I two have had the same problem... Or it will throw all the apps out of their folders or mix them around in new folders... Very frustrating

Uberchu

Uberchu said:

@MrSRArter Mario clock is better though because it includes a game.

I would know I own 3 copys of it, and pop plus solo for my 3ds's/DSi's

SebCroc

SebCroc said:

@Goginho, Yeah, you could say it's never ending. Like your painting metaphor, software can never be absolutely perfect, so we'll be seeing these little updates occasionally.

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

Yeh, I've had my DSi software get dumped out of it's little folder twice. Once last year after a 3DS -> 3DS xL system transfer, and once after a system update.