Dreamcast Shooter Radirgy Is Coming To The 3DS eShop In Japan

Posted by Damien McFerran

Milestone's blaster is due for release in February

Back in 2005, Japanese developer Milestone Inc. released Radirgy for Sega's NAOMI arcade hardware. This vertically scrolling shooter was subsequently ported to the Sega Dreamcast, and later the Nintendo GameCube and Sony PlayStation 2, where it met with mostly positive reviews.

The game is now coming to the 3DS eShop in some shape or form, courtesy of Japanese studio Klon Co, which has produced several Japan-only games in its Nankou Furaku Sangokuden series for Nintendo's handheld.

Entitled Radirgy de Gojaru!, the game is due to hit the Japanese eShop on 19th February, 2014. There's no word on a western release as yet — the GameCube version was almost released in this part of the world, but was eventually cancelled. Sequel Radirgy Noa was ported to the Wii in Japan, but never received an international release, and the original game was included on Ultimate Shooting Collection — along with Chaos Field and Karous — which was also a Japanese exclusive on the Wii.

Have you played the original Radirgy? Are you looking forward to seeing what Radirgy de Gojaru! looks like? Share your thoughts with a comment.

[via gonintendo.com, klon.co.jp]

MAB

MAB said:

Now they're up to Dreamcast on 3DS. Nintendo has no chance of competing with SEGA when it comes to the old school of awesomeness... Time to get crackin' on that WiiU VC baby ;)

Ukee

Ukee said:

A portable version of Jet Set Radio or Ikagura, yes please!

GuitarAnthony

GuitarAnthony said:

@Ukee PS Vita already has JSR but being able to do the graffiti on the lower screen on the 3DS would be fantastic. Of course, this means to support Sega, I'd have to buy JSR AGAIN (after Dreamcast, Steam, XBLA, PS Vita & Android)

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

Huh... this looks kinda easy for a bullet hell. But getting it still would be awesome! Go for it, SEGA!

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

@MAB You make it seem like this is entirely a SEGA venture and Nintendo had no part in it coming to the E-shop

Zach

Zach said:

@MAB Totally, Sega puts Nintendo to shame in its own eShop. I'd rather play Shinobi 3 in 3D than Urban Champion. If Nintendo doesn't get serious about Wii U VC, I'll scream!

DamoAdmin

Damo said:

Guys, Sega isn't involved in this - it was a third party game for the Dreamcast. Don't get too excited!

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

I really liked Ikaruga on Gamecube, which this one doesn't appear to stand up against, but this still looks good. I'll probably buy it.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

There is an American version of Milestone Shooting Collection for the Wii.

(I have the Japanese version of the second one which has two extra games. But when I bought it Play Asia had both available. Impossible as far as I know to use PAL60 with it so I didn't really play it properly until I got a US Wii).

Unfortunately I think there is more to the games that I haven't understood. Cost 15 quid (No import duty on less that so I nearly always get stuff when it is at that price or less from Play Asia).

I never seem to win with these type of games. (Castle of Shingami III I have the US Wii version and I would rather not understand what the characters are saying.)

Never really know with these sort of games reviewers as a whole don't like them.

(Under Defeat HD for what it is couldn't be much better but it is absolutely dirt cheap on both 360 and PS3. When it was released copies of the Dreamcast version of it were selling for over a hundred quid also).

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@Kaine_Morrison It can have N64 or Wii or Gamecube games as long as they are ported. If Nintendo was doing the emulator I don't think SNES would be acceptably accurate.

luke88

luke88 said:

@The-Chosen-one haha, that would be incredible; dare to dream. Personally I would like to see that announced at e3 2014, as well as a sequel, of some sort, to gta chinatown wars exclusive to 3ds. Only mentioning the latter as it came to me today that it could be just the thing to maintain 3ds momentum. Add something about 'Zelda U' to that e3 mix and I don't see how anyone could compete with the headlines it would create.

FilmerNgameR

FilmerNgameR said:

That's tight then Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 are possible on 3DS ,wow Nintendo's virtual console service NEEDS to catch up! I would totally give my money to SEGA for Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 on the 3DS virtual console. XD

Dyltheman

Dyltheman said:

Have the naomi cart of this and tbh its just not that great & gets old pretty fast, particularly when viewed alongside the fabulous shmups that graced the naomi /dreamcast such as ikaruga, zero gunner 2, mars matrix, gigawing 2,borderdown, under defeat & Senko no Ronde among others. Would love to see some of these on the 3ds however unlikely it is.

minotaurgamer

minotaurgamer said:

@MAB Sorry to break your unreal bubble but this has NOTHING to do with SEGA. It's like saying that all PS2 games will arrive to the 3DS because MGS3 is in there.

B3ND3R

B3ND3R said:

Interestingly enough, I just played this on our Dreamcast a few days ago... We set up a Dreamcast in our Japanese Candy Cabinet (usually used for CAVE shootemups) and I played this, Ikaruga, Border Down, Under Defeat, and Psyvariar 1 and 2...

607jf

607jf said:

Great!, Now my mind is thinking, Jet Set Radio, Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2, ect.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

@MAB Just so ya know Radirgy is released on more consoles other than just the Dreamcast and Sega doesn't own Radirgy. Also why would Nintendo want to compete with Sega when Sega's making games for them anyways? That's like if I am competing with my son on making a gift to me when he's actually making it for me.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

@FilmerNgameR Nintendo doesn't want it to catch-up, they want people to continue begging, I mean even if the games are coming it's not like anyone gonna buy them immediately anyways. Nintendo wants to build up the hype first then surprise later. If they don't do that then their games won't get the attention they deserve.

simonsaysno

simonsaysno said:

i played this game.its a lot of fun. dreamcast was the best console for shooters EVER! mars matrix,gigawing,ikaruga,the list goes on and on

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@Kaze_Memaryu It isn't a bullet hell. Any part of the ship gets hit you die not only a tiny hit box. Dunno why they didn't choose the upgraded version though.