The Girl and the Robot is Officially Coming to Wii U

Posted by Lewis Childs

Reaches Kickstarter stretch goal with just hours to go

Last week we reported that indie developer, Flying Carpets, had added a Wii U eShop stretch goal to its Kickstarter campaign for The Girl and the Robot, after achieving the project's initial goal of $15,000 CAD. The title, which draws inspiration from classic games such as The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and Ico, has managed to reach its $25,000 CAD stretch goal in the space of a week, with just hours left to go on the campaign.

As soon as the target had been met, Flying Carpets updated its Kickstarter page to say:

Congratulation[sic] everyone!

We just broke the 25 000$ stretch goal arrow which is the much anticipated Wii U port of The Girl and the Robot!

All pledges of 25$ or higher can now receive the downloadable Wii U version when we finish creating the game!

We still have 14 hours left! Keep on supporting us through the end!

Peace!

For those who’ve been waiting for the Wii U port to become official before making a pledge towards the project, you still have until 9.56am EST (2.56pm GMT) today to grab yourself a copy for $25 CAD. The Girl and the Robot has an estimated release window of December 2014.

Are you excited about The Girl and the Robot coming to the Wii U eShop? Do you plan to pick up a copy when it arrives, or have you already pledged? Let us know in the comments section below.

[via kickstarter.com]

SpookyMeths

SpookyMeths said:

Hmm don't think I'll contribute, but this definitely looks fun enough to pick up when it comes out.

Pod

Pod said:

The texture style is very reminiscent of Skyward Sword.

Overall it seems charming and like it could be fairly challenging.

Glad to hear it's making it to Wii U, as that means I'm much more likely to play it.

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

Great news! I got curious when I saw the trailer, and now I'll definitely be giving it a go.

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

No thanks. :P Shouldn't this be on the PS2? Anyhoo, i like the dashing back mechanic when you play as the Knight, too bad pointer controls won't be supported for your Bow & arrow.

odd69

odd69 said:

Im excited, but this is a ffff-ugly game. I will still buy it though, just hope more polish goes into the visuals. We are now in the next generation of gaming, no excuses for ugly games in my opinion. Gameplay is really where its at, and seems to hit that nicely plus the eshop needs support..

Tsurii897

Tsurii897 said:

@CountWavula It's a very early build, they used for the Trailer. The art direction is definitely really interesting. I won't back since it's over a year from now until it's released, but I'm eager to see how it will turn out.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Glad that it made it, but I will wait to see the price of the final game. $25, even if Canadian, is kinda steep for a backer copy of the game IMO.

Lobster

Lobster said:

I tried to back it but Kickstarter doesn't seem to want to let me. Too bad. :/

PorllM

PorllM said:

The video clearly states this is an early build and not representative of the final quality, and the game is estimated to be released over a year from now, yet people still complain that it's ugly.

My mind boggles.

Volmun

Volmun said:

huh cool looks a bit like ICO x Zelda il probably be geting this then

BlatantlyHeroic

BlatantlyHeroic said:

The protagonist looks really... ugly. It's weird that the Antagonist has an anime-like style to her, while the protagonist looks... eww.

Retro_on_theGo

Retro_on_theGo said:

I really love the artwork for this game, but the game itself looks sooo bland. I'll wait to see what this looks like when it's finished.

DatFunkySmell

DatFunkySmell said:

Am I the only one who see's the blatant Fire Emblem Awakening ripoff for the artwork? Some of the poses are even the same.

JustinH

JustinH said:

Glad to see the huge push this got on the last day. Anyone who wishes they could've got on this boat should consider Tadpole Treble — it's closing in on its last week and is a little back of its Wii U goal, but it looks great.

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

Aww, just look at all the beautiful artwork on the kickstarter page! I just became a fan of Monaka!

@DatFunkySmell It's not a ripoff, they did it intentionally as a parody/reference. The other one (withe the queen on the throne and her robot army in front) is also a reference to another game, but I can't remember which it was.

Gorlokk

Gorlokk said:

When I first heard of this, I wasn't too interested, but the trailer sold me with its castle-like environment. I LOVE exploring giant castles and similar structures. Castlevania games do also do this very well.

JellySplat

JellySplat said:

YUSS!! I was hoping this would succeed! The gameplay looks awesome, it reminds me a lot of Zelda