Sonic Generations Will Cost $29.99 On The North American 3DS eShop

Posted by Damien McFerran

Will you be taking the plunge?

We recently reported that Sonic Generations is getting a digital release in North America this week, and we can now confirm the price of the game: $29.99.

When we ran the original report we commented that the price would have to be reasonable, as pre-owned copies of the physical release can be picked up relatively cheaply these days. Is $29.99 low enough, in your opinion? Or has Sega priced this one too steeply?

As ever, post a comment below to share your thoughts on this.

[via twitter.com]

Alpha2797

Alpha2797 said:

As much as I would like to buy it to download it, I can't because the recent Ubisoft eShop sale left me with only enough extra money for Pokemon Y. But when I do have enough money; probably next year, I'll get it! :D

ToniK

ToniK said:

Definitely too steep. You can probably find a physical copy for half the price.

Alpha2797

Alpha2797 said:

@DarkCoolEdge @ToniK
I agree that the price is higher than retail copies. But when this normally happens, I pretend that I'm paying the higher price than usual so that I may have the luxury of always having it with me on the 3DS. It makes me feel better. lol

Pixel-Perfect

Pixel-Perfect said:

Eeew. Every time the game comes up people say they've beaten it in four hours or so. Doesn't seem worth it. At all.

XD375

XD375 said:

Four hours? Pssh. This game takes far less than four hours to beat.

santaglause

santaglause said:

i bought this game a year ago for £14.99, smart is not something i would associate with this price!

Blue_Yoshi

Blue_Yoshi said:

I was hoping for $15 maybe even $20 at most. Console Gnerations was good but I heard that this one was trash and had a strict 2D Formula that gave Classic Sonic modern day power ups so like the experience between the two was barely different. Seriously Sega we can't just throw money away at Sonic games anymore if the quality isn't going to be that great. Yall need to convince Yuji Naka from returning from retirement.

BakaKnight

BakaKnight said:

What a shame... Sonic Generation for 3ds is a very fun game, but it's just too too short for justify that price.

I guess Sega wants to take advantage of Lost World being out soon, but at this price it's almost a bad joke.
Lost World will just cost a bit more and with that extra "bit" you can buy a brand new game way longer than Generations (my speculation, but even if LW will be only 10 hours long, it will still be 5 times generations lenght!!! >o>;;; ).

Birthday_Boy

Birthday_Boy said:

This game may be really fun, but I beat it in 2 hours.
Mission Mode however is really interesting, because the easiest way of getting missions is with unlocking them with play coins. So, if you decide to spend your play coins, for most of the 100 missions, it will take you about 2 months to finish it. And completing missions get you get over 20 illustrations, about 20 3D models, and 50 music tracks from Sonic's 20 years, you can even close your 3DS, and it will still play with headphones.
So while the campaign is only a few hours, you might get more value in Sonic Generation's extra modes and features, and depending on how much you dedicate, it will be worth $30.

MeWario

MeWario said:

Man... I got excited when I saw the article. I thought it was talking about Lost World! Dammit, time to learn how to read.

allav866

allav866 said:

I was hoping for $19.99. It is a 4 hour game, but the missions add to the game's length, provided you're willing to spend 5 play coins to unlock each mission. Then there's an online multiplayer race to the finish, but it has a stupid gimmick to it that makes it hardly worth playing.

TheConsiglio

TheConsiglio said:

I may have been able to 100% it in 8 hours but I have over 60 hours just on how fun the stages are to replay through. Also there are head to head online races on all stages.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Well it may seem really expensive to people but that is the going price. I think almost all video games are overpriced so this pricing doesn't surprise me.

TruenoGT

TruenoGT said:

Considering I got the PC version on Steam for like $5, this is probably asking a bit much.

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

Probably get this for my son. He loves Sonic and I love my son. The price is exactly what I thought it would be.

Dreamcaster-X

Dreamcaster-X said:

Great Sonic game. One of the best ever actually but I got the console version for like $20 so this price does not compute.

suburban_sensei

suburban_sensei said:

Seems steep for an older title. Also seeing as Sonic Lost World will only be $10 more. Dreamcaster-X is right, the price of the much better (from what I have heard) console version is extremely low. I bought Generations on my 360, day one, and it was worth the $50, so finding that version at about $20 is a steal.

Marakuto

Marakuto said:

New physical copies sold in some shops and online are a way cheaper alternative, but this can also do if you REALLY need it to play on the go...

wicked636

wicked636 said:

@Blue_Yoshi i was thinking $14.99 also for a game this old on digital.id be willing go 19.99 probably for the actual game but download no higher then 14.99

SurferClock

SurferClock said:

Unless there's a further price cut, I'm probably going to pass on Retail to Digital conversion for now. I bought the game for $16, and was hoping it'd be reasonable priced so I can finally have the digital with my save data.

HappyHappy

HappyHappy said:

The price needs to go down to $20 if not then this would be a good game to get when it get's a discount.

sonicriders

sonicriders said:

I have it! It's a decent game really, with good online multiplayer, surprisingly! $30 is a bit much compared to how much you could probably get it used...but FINALLY, it took SEGA way too long to get this on the eShop!

FJOJR

FJOJR said:

Too steep at this point. If this was done when it was originally released then it would have been understandable. The Steam version I got for $15 a few months after it released. I'll search out a physical copy, thanks but no thanks SEGA.

TheLilK98

TheLilK98 said:

Lol nope, I saw generations for twenty bucks at Walmart the other day. Not only that, but the 3DS version was ridiculously and needlessly watered down.

supers0nic91

supers0nic91 said:

I did enjoy the 3DS title and I felt like the levels were highly enjoyable, with great mechanics and good replay value. Regardless, I picked this up for about that price (maybe a little more) on day one. I think that they should do what Capcom finally did with Resident Evil Mercenaries and put it on for a reasonable £10/$17 or lower.