Nintendo Acquires 27% of Panasonic’s PUX Technology, Which Includes Voice Recognition

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

As well as tools for detecting handwriting, faces, objects, and gestures

Nintendo has, in the past, utilised technologies for its games and then purchased shares in the related companies, either in part of through a full acquisition. One example is from February 2012 when Nintendo purchased MobiClip, and in a similar move the company has now acquired a 27% stake in Panasonic's PUX technology.

While Panasonic retain majority ownership, this move clearly indicates Nintendo's eagerness to adopt the technology further. It's a development kit used for movie encoding and 2D to 3D conversions, but also notable for recognising a variety of inputs such as voice, handwriting, face, objects and gestures. It should be no surprise to anyone that's followed Nintendo that elements of PUX have been utilised in Wii U and 3DS projects; it's possible — though not confirmed — that tools such as the Mii Maker software uses the technology, while there are numerous examples on both systems of games that utilise the uses outlined above.

This increased investment is reportedly going to be tied to greater collaboration between Nintendo and PUX teams to work on a "new software engine and application software", as translated by Siliconera.

What kinds of projects would you like to see in future software or applications using this technology? More voice recognition, hand writing options? Let you imaginations run wild in the comments below.

[via siliconera.com, panasonic.co.jp]

kereke12

kereke12 said:

I can tell a new Ds is coming out....HERE WE GO AGAIN even though we don't need one

rjejr

rjejr said:

So we can all have Max Headroom like Mii's now?

I used that Wii U photo ability to make my Mii but it's really useless. I just deleted it and went back to using my ported 6 year old Wii version, it looks more like me. Well except now my hair is about half gray. Not enough for me to change it to gray on my Mii though. They need a "salt & pepper" hair color option.

Mk_II

Mk_II said:

@kereke12 you do know that Nintendo has a R&D department that is constantly working on new products for the next generation? As they should unless you want the company to fail when the current platforms stop selling.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

Maybe this is the begining steps to smellovision! Just think about the possibilities when the Great Poo sings and flings his song on Conkers Bad Fur Day! ;-)

ChessboardMan

ChessboardMan said:

Heh, detecting objects? Remember when Microsoft was first revealing the Kinect, and having it do things like scan in skateboards? Maybe Nintendo is going to show them how it's done properly?

MrWalkieTalkie

MrWalkieTalkie said:

Always gotta be thinking about the future. Wii U & 3DS won't be around forever, and its never too early to start planning on what comes next.

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

maybe this is for app related stuff? some phones use voice recognition right?idk just random though course would be cool to hear about it later on

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

@mercurio2054
Right. On a similar note it always alarms me how so many people view games and even hardware as something a company puts together over the weekend. There's so little awareness of the amount of intense planning, management, and day to day work that goes into it.

I guess the consumer perspective changes when there are so many inexpensive games and devices that seem cheaper because of subsidies. The value of these things doesn't seem to be felt as much as it was at the dawn of home gaming.

mercurio2054

mercurio2054 said:

and one of the characteristic of nintendo consoles are that they have long lasting life than other devices (consoles, cellphones, etc.).

aughra

aughra said:

I'm pretty excited about this news. It'd be neat to see the 2D to 3D conversion technology in Nintendo's next home console.

DanMan82

DanMan82 said:

Great to hear! At least this should silence some of those that say Nintendo does not show a desire to up their tech. capabilities.

@ChessboardMan LOL. Wouldn't that be something?! XD

ChessboardMan

ChessboardMan said:

@aaronsullivan Not to mention all the testing they need to go through to check they don't go and fry themselves within a couple months, something that Microsoft hopefully learned their lesson about last Generation.
On an unrelated note, I doubt I'll be touching a XboxOne any time soon… A first edition 360 red ring-ing twice and the replacement being broken out of the box, will do that to people.
With Nintendo, I've only ever Had to replace a 3DS… that I took out in a snow storm. (I got the most amazing 3D photos and video, BTW)

tsm7

tsm7 said:

Nintendo and Panasonic...I've never understood it but hopefully it pans out to something good.
Remember the Japanese exclusive Panasonic Q.

Williaint

Williaint said:

I'm interested in what will come of this... Quite intriguing indeeeeeeed.
I've always liked Panasonic's products better than Sony's, anyway...

Williaint

Williaint said:

I'm interested in what will come of this... Quite intriguing indeeeeeeed.
I've always liked Panasonic's products better than Sony's, anyway...

Samurai_Goroh

Samurai_Goroh said:

@tsm7 If I'm not mistaken Panasonic was the company that Nintendo partnered with to develop the GameCube optical discs and drive. This, after the failed attempts to switch from cartridge to optical media with Sony and Philips in 90's, as we all know, was crucial to Nintendo. Hence, Japan got the Panasonic Q DVD player/ GameCube console which proved to be a commercial failure but a wonderful collector's item I would kill to have, and I believe they still work together for Wii and Wii U.
So whatever Nintendo and Panasonic are cooking together now, I hope we get a tasty slice of it soon.

player310

player310 said:

Nintendo and Panasonic deal... What if Nintendo backs out at the last minute, only for there to be a Panasonic GameStation??? ;)

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

This deal sounds like it will make the Wii U alot better. If you have a 3D TV(and actually like 3D), the 2D to 3D conversion software mentioned in the article should be good news.

This deal sounds like it will improve Nintendo's UI and software as a whole.

raith

raith said:

Its good that Nintendo and Panasonic still retains a healthy relationship. The Wii-U does use a Panasonic disc drive and other components. Maybe we'll see Nintendo's future systems influenced by Panasonic's tech and style. I mean, they do have a common enemy-Sony.

VolcanoFlames

VolcanoFlames said:

Wait a minute! I have a hobby of imagining consoles, and then drawing it out and writing out their details so that I will never forget how it's like. My current imaginary handheld's called 3DS Pro(3DSpro), and apart from having tablet-y design(ahem 2DS. And I got my 3DS Pro idea in the past few years, a decent amount of time before they announced 2DS), it's 3D screen has a nifty feature I call 'Magifingers' which allows the screen to detect fingers/stylus above it, without touching the screen at all. Does it look like I can predict the future? :)

Anyway, though. This sounds like a nice deal. Maybe they could even implement these on the Wii U and 3DS. It'll be nice to see where this goes.

VolcanoFlames

VolcanoFlames said:

NightmareXIV

NightmareXIV said:

Nintendo is starting to make smarter moves this stuff may be utilized to save the Wii U from flopping.