Video: Total War Mod Allows You To Conquer The Land Of Hyrule

Posted by Damien McFerran

How long before Nintendo puts it to the sword?

The Total War series is a long-running and very successful PC franchise which allows players to command entire armies from historical periods. It also possesses a large and dedicated modding community which creates custom skins and levels to offer a new experience.

Total War fan UndyingNephalim has created one such mod which gives you the chance to lay waste to the land of Hyrule, the setting for Nintendo's Legend of Zelda series. You can watch the trailer below, but be warned that it contains bloody decapitations from the most unlikely of characters.

Anyone want to start taking bets on how long it takes Nintendo's legal department to shut this down?

[via gonintendo.com]

Smitherenez

Smitherenez said:

Something like this is actually something I have wanted nintendo to make for centuries! Now, I see that it does look really awesome! My compliments to the modder :D

47drift

47drift said:

Wow, you guys couldn't have mentioned this during the Steam Summer Sales? Had to wait until right after? Would have bought Medieval II in a heartbeat had I known about this.

Emblem

Emblem said:

They won't shut it down because they can't, there are mods like this for lots of franchises. Even if nintendo bothered to shut down the main dev, other people would just host it in other locations. Plus this probably took a poopiedoodoodingdongle load of work to do and its not taking away from any Zelda sales as its a totally different game.

Add to that the Total Wars series is owned by Sega so any increased sales of MT2 caused by this mod would go to one of Nintendo's strongest supporters anyway.

XavandSo

XavandSo said:

I.... must have now. I've been type following this mod for quite awhile and it keeps getting better and better. Nintendo needs to make a Zelda RTS, the Wii U is perfect for it.

SigourneyBeaver

SigourneyBeaver said:

If they shut this down then they should shut down every fan-artist who has ever reproduced anything to do with Nintendo ever, in the history of ever!

Pikachupwnage

Pikachupwnage said:

Fi just kicked someones head off...

"Master there is a 95% chance that I am secretly a homicidal mainiac"

Buduski

Buduski said:

HOLY $?!¥ that was bad @$&!!! Im not a PC gamer but for a Zelda game that looked that awsome I would probably get into it.

Macarony64

Macarony64 said:

The only mods Nintendo takes down are the ones that needs a Nintendo console and a pirated game version to work. Sometime guys you behave like Nintendo worst haters.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

This has been around for quite some time, at least the early builds. I have the Medieval game, now that this is done, will be downloading.

Bingoshi

Bingoshi said:

I guess I'm going to be the only one who didn't like this... I hate stories where the hero dies and evil wins, so seeing Link dead and stuff just...didn't feel right to me. Yeah, people love stuff like this, but not me.

Maskeraid

Maskeraid said:

Needs moar Majora's Mask demon whatzits. And people are really over praising this. :P

Kagamine

Kagamine said:

How long until Nintendo shoots it down? I honestly think they won't. Mods like this have been around for YEARS and I have never seen any of them shut down.

WingedSnagret

WingedSnagret said:

I actually find this really fascinating. Great wars are talked about throughout the Zelda games, but you don't ever really see any (for obvious reasons), so it's rather cool to see something like this.

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

Been following Neph for awhile now, although his take on the series varies somewhat from the tone of the series, his attention to detail and dedication to this project is incredible.

theadrock13

theadrock13 said:

Awesome! Looks like the game that Nintendo should have been making. I'm getting that now.

theadrock13

theadrock13 said:

^^ nice homestar profile pic.
Anybody know if Medieval 2: Total War will play on Windows 7 properly?

DdFixen

DdFixen said:

Wow that was just awesome! A Zelda game like that would really be something.

DdFixen

DdFixen said:

@WingedFish
It indeed is. And if a Zelda movie were to be made, this is the look I'd like to see the most; all The Lord of the Rings-esque:) Epic battles combined with Link's various struggles with finding the Master Sword etc.

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

@Assassin87
only if they received profit for it (which contradicts the entire nature of modding communities).
I never liked Total War (mostly because I don't like RTS in general), but this looks really awesome!

mamp

mamp said:

And Nintendo acts like there is no way to change up the Zelda formula. Excuses excuses and nothing but excuses.

Yanchamaru

Yanchamaru said:

Finally, a Zelda game with a mature story that gives evil a chance to win. Just epic!

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

I thought it looked cool, but that's pretty cheap that they would call it the best Zelda game ever. It just looked kinda cheap in general like all mods.

Wheels2050

Wheels2050 said:

@SCAR392: "It just looked kinda cheap in general like all mods."

That's simply untrue. There is a long history of professional-quality mods for many different games. To name just a few: Counterstrike (Half Life), Desert Combat (Battlefield 1942), Alien Swarm (Unreal Tournament 2004), Defense of the Ancient (Warcraft 3)... The list goes on.

bitemykite

bitemykite said:

This looks awesome but the last time I got back into Total War, I barely slept for 3 weeks, that is dangerously addictive gaming :)

Trikeboy

Trikeboy said:

@AlexSora89 UndyingNephlem makes absolutely no money from this modification. It is no different to other games that can be modded. It is essentially fan art. As long as no money is made, it is fine.