Ubisoft Forecasts "Conservative" Sales Targets For Assassin's Creed IV And Watch_Dogs

Posted by Damien McFerran

"We wanted to be prudent on our expectations"

Ubisoft has forecasted that Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag will sell less than its direct predecessor, despite the universal appeal of the new game's nautical setting.

Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot has high hopes for the new entry in the best-selling series, but has decided to be cautious regarding sales predictions:

The American Revolution was very appealing for our gamers, and the Golden Age of Piracy may be just as exciting, if not even more. Our targets conservatively reflect lower sales expectation for AC4 than for AC3...

...In our numbers we expect less than last year, but we are actually pushing to achieve more than last year because we think the pirate segment is a great segment that can generate a lot more on a worldwide basis than was achieved last year. But we wanted to be prudent on our expectations so it can only be a bonus if it comes.

Guillemot has also stated that he expects new IP Watch_Dogs to at least match the sales performance of the very first Assassin's Creed title, which launched back in 2007 and shifted 6 million units:

We believe the game can perform as well or even better than Assassin's Creed 1 back in financial year '07. However, our target reflects more conservative expectations.

Both Assassin's Creed IV and Watch_Dogs are coming to the Wii U later this year. Which are you most excited by, or does neither game interest you? Post a comment to share your thoughts.

[via eurogamer.net]

Related Games

Mickamott

Mickamott said:

I'm more excited for Watch_Dogs, but I still love me some Assassin's Creed! I don't mind playing a new Assassin's Creed every year, so long as the quality remains high. It's actually become a treadition for me now.

rjejr

rjejr said:

The same company, Ubisoft, is releasing similar games about a month apart, AC4 Oct. 29 and W_D Nov. 19, which is about a month after GTA 5 on Sept. 17, which is also a similar open world 3rd person game. So yeah, this years AC will probably sell less than last years AC.

Morph

Morph said:

I will get both, rayman fiasco aside I really like ubisofts support for nintendo, so its only fare I pick up both, i may still change my mind as well and pick up rayman, ive enjoyed the challenge app

Nightingale

Nightingale said:

Piracy may be an interesting setting but it doesn't evoke, to me, anything about what I enjoy in an AC game. Weird choice, not really "universally" appealing.

ClockworkMario

ClockworkMario said:

Watch_dogs is day one for me and maybe AC4 if the reviews are good. Both on Wii U of course, since I want to support Ubis decision to release these AAA titles on Wii U. It's more than can be said about a certain other big third party publisher.

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

I'm already planning on getting both of those games this year. Ubisoft will certainly be getting quite a bit of money from me since there are actually at least 4 Ubisoft games I plan to pick up by the end of the year. That is not even mentioning games they have already released but I haven't purchased yet such as Rayman Origins.

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

hmmm then maybe you should of thought to keep the main guy who was helping work on the game?hmm idk just how i would think to make sure the game does good oh but sure lets kick him awayway

Mommar

Mommar said:

I guess I should have waited. I bought AC 3 purely based on the Ship Combat because I thought it looked like an interesting game mechanic. Should have just waited for the AC that was actually based around it I guess.

Whack-a-noob

Whack-a-noob said:

Anxious to give Watchdogs a shot. So far I've been pleased with the quality of Ubisoft's offerings. They did a relatively decent job with their first implementation of the GamePad on ZombiU so I'm curious to see if they take that any further with Watchdogs.

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

I will very likely pick up both of these at some point considering how much I'm enjoying ACIII and how great Watch_Dogs is looking so far!

tsm7

tsm7 said:

I would be conservative with watch dogs as well. It's a new IP with an incredible amount of hype...scores less than 8.5 could have a huge impact on sales and is completely possible.

Vincent294

Vincent294 said:

Watch_Dogs & MGSV are the two games I want that I haven't pre-ordered yet. But I intend to get Watch_Dogs.

thatoneguy4419

thatoneguy4419 said:

I've got to admit, that's a pretty smart move. I wanted to buy AC3, but it was so expensive. I'm hoping that AC4 will be a bit more in my price range.