Capcom Has No Plans To Release Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars On The eShop

Posted by Andy Green

Licensing issues still the major stumbling block

As we're already aware, you can download Wii U retail games directly from the eShop but there are currently no Wii games available and it appears Nintendo does not have any plans to release any in the foreseeable future.

Capcom's senior vice president Christian Svensson was recently asked on the Capcom Unity forums if his company would be willing to bring Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars, which is a Wii exclusive, to the Wii U eShop.

Last year, the rights to Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars lapsed, therefore a digital release is incredibly unlikely as Capcom would need to renew the licence. Svensson reiterated this in his response:

There's no plans I'm aware of and as you point it, it would mean Capcom Japan amending the prior agreement or creating a new one as well as potentially new development unless Nintendo at some point has plans to release Wii isos digitally (which I'm not aware of happening).

Sorry but it feels like a long shot to me any time soon.

Of course, this isn't to say it won't happen in the future, but it appears that it's pretty unlikely, which is a shame. If you haven't picked up a copy yet and you've been meaning to, you may want to get on that as the game may soon become pretty rare.

What are your thoughts on bringing Wii titles to the Wii U eShop? Let us know by dropping a comment below.

[via capcom-unity.com, nintendoeverything.com]

THENAMESNORM

THENAMESNORM said:

I'd love for Wii ttitles to be available digitally, If they were reasonably priced of course!

dizzy_boy

dizzy_boy said:

I'm not suprised that Nintendo aren't releasing Wii games through the eShop, it's just a shame that capcom let the Tatsunoko rights slip though.
Thing is, I would have loved to have seen a sequal too, but after all of the licensing issues with the first one, it's probably not worth Capcom spending the money.

Midnight3DS

Midnight3DS said:

How about a Battle of the Planets RPG? Would love to see those characters beyond a fighting game.

SpaceKappa

SpaceKappa said:

That's a shame. TvC was one of my favorite fighting games last gen and I'd LOVE to see it in high definition - the game is so stylish that it's almost criminal to have it locked to 480p. I hope they work something out, because more people need to play it.

DESS-M-8

DESS-M-8 said:

Rerelease ALL Nintendo formats on eshop. Releasing Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 and definitely Skyward sword on the eShop all with off-tv play and support wii remote controls or Gamepad interface as options would surely sell masses, provide a bolstered library instantly to satiate the fans leading upto mario wii u and zelda wii u, whilst bringing these amazing games to an audience that didn't get them first time and for digital collectors to get ALL mario and zelda games on one format, all bootable from your Gamepad.
THIS is my dream. Please work your magic Nintendo and take my money :-)

gojiguy

gojiguy said:

This is a shame. Tatsunoko vs Capcom is the best fighter this gen and it deserves an HD re-release with improved online. Hell, it deserves a sequel too!

SirQuincealot

SirQuincealot said:

qpolayed this o wii, this is a fantastic game, it is a shame it wont be realesed again, this is the kind of fighter i would like on the 3ds

PinkSpider

PinkSpider said:

It would be interesting to see Wii games running directly through the Wii U instead of running through an emulator of the Wii running through the Wii U lol if that makes sense

Gameday

Gameday said:

All we can do is hope. The game was much appreciated to reach the wii. Would love to see it again as a new game or dlc for Wii U that's a great thought here for me.

SheldonRandoms

SheldonRandoms said:

I really enjoyed this game, even though I had no idea who 50% of the characters were. I remember Gamestop had this game for $19.99 used, so if you didn't get it, now's the chance.

shinokami

shinokami said:

TvC is one of the best fighters this gen. They should renew the license and make TvC2. There is so many characters that can make it into the roster like Samurai Pizza Cats or Princess Resurection

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

I'd LOVE to re-visit Wii games like Boy and His Blob, Wario Land Shake Dimension, Rayman Origins, Muramasa, Kirby Epic Yarn (and Adventure) via the Wii U eshop in HD and off TV support. Also, priced appropriately.

solcross

solcross said:

I really hope they put serious consideration into it, because I would think there's more money for them there. Having to miss out on things like Xenoblade Chronicles because I didn't buy it fast enough or refuse to pay messed up prices online should be a thing of the past with the advent of digital downloads.

DESS-M-8

DESS-M-8 said:

@JogurtTheYogurt Yes. Would rather have them downloaded from the eshop and sat in my 2tb hard drive with all my other games and all just a Gamepad screen press away from booting up

Emaan

Emaan said:

It's games like this and Xenoblade Chronicles that I wish I had bought when they were first released, as they're so rare to find now. I hope we can see Wii digital games on the eShop at some point in the future. Maybe not even on Wii U, but it could still happen.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Well, should not we have Gamecube games on the eShop before we get the Wii ones? What Capcom should be thinking of is on releasing their PSN/XBLA HD games on Wii U, like Street Fighter 3, RE4, etc.

As for this game, I got it soon after release. I really like the obscure roster, even on Capcom's side. Seeing Alex and Batsu again was awesome.

MagicEmperor

MagicEmperor said:

Heh, got this game before any of my friends. There was a midnight launch at a store for some other game, but they allowed me to pick up my copy at that time. I have fond memories of this sucker, and every now and then I give it a spin. It's a miracle we got it in the first place, all things considered.

DESS-M-8

DESS-M-8 said:

@sinalefa YES. And games like NiGHTS HD, devil may cry trilogy HD, metal gear solid trilogy HD, Zone of the Enders HD. Would LOVE these HD updates to appear on the eShop. If the eShop goes into hyperdrive with quality and volume, I may have to actually consider selling my Saturn back catalogue to keep up then keep my fingers crossed for eShop releases of Guardian Heroes, Burning Rangers, Radiant Silvergun etc.

Superconsole

Superconsole said:

Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom is an awesome fighter, so even if it doesn't make it to the eShop you owe it to yourself to track down a Wii copy :D

DESS-M-8

DESS-M-8 said:

AND I want to see GameCube feature big time. Online capcom vs SNK 2, Luigi's Mansion, Rogue Leader, Rebel Strike, Wave Race: blue storm, 1080, Mario Sunshine, Resident Evil remake, resident evil zero, Ikaruga, Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes!!!!! All bootable on the Gamepad, and play with the Gamepad. Same with the wii games. Yes I know it plays wii, but inhale to change discs and controllers Everytime, as with GameCube on wii, I want to see all games on eshop and can use the Gamepad to play on it as have off-tv play. THAT would be an ultimate Nintendo game console. All the games listed above I would pay for on day one release if they saw an eshop digital release

MakeMyBiscuit

MakeMyBiscuit said:

If you have a Wii or Wi U pick up this GEM before the prices skyrocket! It is a great fighter. My only regret was that there was no Speed Racer or Racer X in it :(

WOLFER

WOLFER said:

online is so bad in this game... i still cant believe how i made top ten on the charts...