Amiga Classic Putty Squad Morphing Its Way To The Wii U And 3DS

Posted by Damien McFerran

System 3 celebrates its 30th with a reboot of the classic platformer

System 3 has confirmed that it is bringing Putty Squad to the Wii U and 3DS.

The game is a remake of the 1992 Amiga classic, and boasts improved visuals, enhanced gameplay and the promise of free downloadable levels. The game is expected to arrive this Summer.

Here's the official press release:

The UK’s most successful independent games publisher, System 3, is proud to announce the return of gaming’s most loved stretchy blue blob this summer, in the revolutionary platform action-adventure, Putty Squad.

The critically acclaimed Putty Squad first made its way on gamers screens on the Amiga in 1992 and now the old-skool hero, Putty, returns to celebrate System 3’s 30th year anniversary. Putty once again takes on a stirring quest to rescue his kidnapped friends in a reinvigorated and reimaged modern platform game.

“Working on such a prestigious title again and to bring it up-to-date, brings back many great memories. Fans of the original are excited to get their hands on the return of the morphing blue blob hero,” stated Mark Cale, CEO of System 3. “Putty Squad will be available on multiple platforms, where gamers can reconnect with their classic hero, discovering Putty unlike before.”

Putty Squad has taken a complete overhaul in graphics to give a modern immersive experience, the gameplay has been finely tuned and downloadable free levels will be available. With Putty you can inflate, morph, stretch, lie flat and absorb. The unlikeliest of heroes has unique powers than any other imaginable.

Related Games

datamonkey

datamonkey said:

I'd love to see more Amiga classics coming to Wii U VC.

How about Shadow of the Beast, Wings, Speedball 2, It Came from the Desert and New Zealand Story for a start?!

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

The original was awesome! Hope System 3 can still deliver the goods.

@datamonkey "Speedball 2" would be oh so awesome! Btw "New Zealand Story" is from Taito so I'm sure the Megadrive or PC Engine version might show up some day. Maybe even the original arcade version... I miss Tiki!

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

Well that looks interesting. Never heard of it before, but that's worth a look on the eshop.

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

@datamonkey Wasn't NZ Story on Wii VC already?

Amiga and its games are so under-represented in modern gaming:

Rodland, Chaos Engine, Magic Pockets, Superfrog, Alien Breed, + anything Team 17, Bitmap Brothers or DMA/Psygnosis

Rief

Rief said:

Looks like your random Browser game...
Well, even though that tastes strange, i will give it a try maybe.

DarkCoolEdge

DarkCoolEdge said:

It does look interesting but for me the most loved blue blob is de Blob :)

A Shadow of the Beast remake would be great

Hunter-D

Hunter-D said:

Never heard of this game but it certainly looks.... interesting.

To say the least...

antonvaltaz

antonvaltaz said:

VERY VERY VERY VERY EXCITED!!!!!

The original was actually completed for the Amiga, but then never released! It was even reviewed and got loads of 90%+ scores, and there were magazine demos and everything.

However it was converted to the SNES.

(But it's still a bone of contention in the Amiga emulation/retro community that System 3 continue to refuse to release the completed Amiga version).

EDIT: Sorry, you could have learnt most of that by watching the video... Hey, I wonder if they'd consider releasing the SNES version on VC?

MAB

MAB said:

If they could remake Moonstone: A Hard Days Knight I will be awesomed ;)

andrea987

andrea987 said:

I'd love me some Chaos Engine, or even some adventure like Flashback. One can dream.

Cranky

Cranky said:

Amiga remakes? Bring me my Zipstick!
So many good games mentioned above. Wiz 'n' Liz, Fury of the Furries, Bills Tomato Game and Indy Heat get my vote for remakes.
andrea- there is a remake of Flashback coming this year:)

Big_L91

Big_L91 said:

did anyone play morph? you were a little red ball that could "morph" into gas and liquid and was a sorta puzzle platformer i used to love that on my amiga 32! hope to see more games getting this treatment.

Ducutzu

Ducutzu said:

I had the SNES cartridge and it was a great puzzle game, very varied and quite challenging.

I am excited about this and will definitely buy it!

element187

element187 said:

I like all the different platforming mechanics.... day one purchase. I just hope they are really good at level design.

Chomposaur

Chomposaur said:

I guess nobody played Super putty ? released on the SNES in 1992 ?

you have to move your way around the stage to collect robots and put them back in the mothership ring any bells anyone ?

SwerdMurd

SwerdMurd said:

only thing i remember about amiga games was them having good music... There can't be much of a market for this....

SparkOfSpirit

SparkOfSpirit said:

There were a ton of great Amiga games that have never been re-released. I hope this is the first of many.

LavaTwilight

LavaTwilight said:

Never played this one but I loved my Amiga games and this LOOKS like an amiga game (except for the enhanced visuals of course) - this looks like a right step in the direction of Nostalgia City!

AhabSpampurse

AhabSpampurse said:

Before the SNES and Megadrive, I had an Amiga, and it was one of the best games machine I've ever had.

Yeah, it was missing Mario and Sonic, and loads of the greats have been listed above. Special shout out to @MadAussieBloke tho for Moonstone, THAT GAMES IS TEH RULEZ!!!

Does anyone remember Wizball though, developed by Ocean? I LOVED that game...

antonvaltaz

antonvaltaz said:

@Ryno Don't think they were very popular in the US, at least not for gaming. In Europe though they were HUGE...

@JogurtTheYogurt That was the prequel to this game, known on the Amiga alternately as Silly Putty, or just Putty.

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

The new visuals look pretty impressive to me. I'll need to look up more about this game to see how excited I should be about this remake. I will say that free downloadable levels are a big plus as well. No arguments here!