Level 5's Fantasy Life Ships 300,000 Copies In Japan

Posted by Damien McFerran

Another 3DS smash-hit is on the cards

Level 5 CEO Akihiro Hino has revealed that total shipments to date of 3DS title Fantasy Life have reached the 300,000 mark in Japan.

Back in January, we reported that the game — which is a collaboration between the Professor Layton studio and Brownie Brown — had sold out upon release, an event which no doubt conbributed to Level 5's revelation that it would inspire a whole new series of titles.

Fantasy Life's robust commercial performance in its homeland would appear to have secured a release overseas, as we've already seen trademarks filed in both North America and Europe.

With Luigi's Mansion 2 and Animal Crossing: New Leaf already setting cash registers ringing in Japan during 2013, it would appear that the 3DS has the handheld market totally sewn up in that region.

From the web

Beta said:

Now only SSB4 and X/Y left and Japan might got bumped through the sky ^_^

edhe said:

Lots of awesome games for the 3DS on the horizon. I hope this bodes well for the Wii U, because apart from Rayman Legends, there's nothing I feel I really excited about (ignoring Wind Waker HD and Resident Evil Revelations HD - two games I've already played).

The 3DS is turning into a great little system, and I'm personally looking forward to this releasing in Europe.

Peach64 said:

I thought it had sold a whole lot more than that, as it had sold nearly half that amount in one week. You'd think it would sell a lot more in the following 3 months. I know week one is typically the highest single week, but not to the extent that weeks 2 to 14 combines struggle to match week 1!

What are the reviews for it like? Maybe everyone rushed out in week one and bought it on the basis of the level 5 name and then word spread that it maybe wasn't so good?

Nomad said:

The 3DS is the best system out there at the moment. So many great games coming out for it. I hope this one turns out to be good as it looks interesting.

Spoony_Tech said:

@Peach64 That's still considered a success in Japan. Bravely Default didn't do much better I believe yet its also considered a success!

Looking forward to learning more about this and yes I want it!

yobucky said:

Good to hear it's been successful, for a non- first party single-console game that is a respectable total for sure. And it's only in Japan so far. I'm so glad I bought a 3ds right now and by the time I get some birthday money in June I'm honestly not sure what to buy.

LordessMeep said:

I seriously can't wait for it to be localized. This and Bravely Default are on my must buy list. I just hope it does decently over in the Western market too.

NImH said:

Has anyone heard how it's been reviewed in Japan yet? I would love to hear what they think.

daggdroppen said:

My most wanted game for the 3DS =)

but according to vgchartz it has only sold 260 000. i guess that the other 40 000 is downloaded via eshop and isnt registrated?

daggdroppen said:

i hope for a european release as well.. someone that has the famitus score on fantasy life?

Windy said:

Oh boy! Oh boy! Oh boy! This is exciting news can't wait to get it

ZinogreMaster said:

My wallet keeps getting smaller and smaller each day. But then again, that's not such a bad thing is it...

Zodiak13 said:

Good lord the 3DS is really doing a # on my wallet this year. Been loving the Nintedo system games all year long. Just got my 1st 360 game in a while, Bioshock Infinite. Very dissapointed nothing like the original 2 in my opinion, and the new aspects add nothin to me.Thank goodness for Nintendo this year.

3dsisthebest said:

I want this game, bravely default and time travelers from level 5...its really great but did so poor in japan D: