Animal Crossing: New Leaf Passes Three Million Sales in Japan

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon still number one in the charts

Update:

As correctly pointed out on Twitter by NintenDaan, it's worth remembering that Media Create charts only account for physical retail sales. The full sales for Animal Crossing: New Leaf will be further beyond three million due to its success on the 3DS eShop.

Original Article:

Last week it became immediately noticeable that, based on its current momentum, Animal Crossing: New Leaf was just one week away from passing three million sales in Japan, which is roughly one for every four 3DS systems sold in the country. It's a terrific level of success for the title ahead of its arrival in the West this Summer.

Sales of New Leaf are still strong enough that it actually occupies second place in Japan's software chart this week, while Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon continues its run at the top of the tree. On Wii U watch, meanwhile, Game & Wario has managed to hang on in the top 10; the top 20 is below, with lifetime sales in parenthesis.

1. [3DS] Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon – 68,423 (459,413)
2. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf – 49,140 (3,025,368)
3. [PS3] One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2 – 26,878 (367,959)
4. [PS3] Pro Yakyuu Spirits 2013 – 15,411 (141,665)
5. [PSP] Pro Yakyuu Spirits 2013 – 14,086 (117,839)
6. [3DS] Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission – 11,674 (151,881)
7. [Wii] Taiko Drum Master Wii Super Wonderful Edition – 11,533 (442,322)
8. [PSV] Muramasa Rebirth – 11,135 (56,795)
9. [PSP] Fate/Extra CCC – 11,128 (84,011)
10. [Wii U] Game & Wario – 11,064 (33,555)
11. [PSP] Sword Art Online: Infinity Moment – 10,611 (180,009)
12. [Wii U] Dragon Quest X: Rise of the Five Tribes Online – 9,900 (43,202)
13. [PS3] Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 Remix – 9,801 (183,176)
14. [3DS] New Super Mario Bros. 2 – 9,669 (1,990,057)
15. [PS3] Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor’s Edge – 9,659 (New)
16. [PSV] One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2 – 8,085 (85,579)
17. [PSP] Dungeon Travelers 2: Ouritsu Tokoshan to Mamono no Fuuin – 7,566 (39,305)
18. [PSV] Soul Sacrifice – 7,032 (155,614)
19. [3DS] Mario Kart 7 – 6,923 (2,020,351)
20. [3DS] Professor Layton and the Azran Legacies – 6,389 (199,246)

In terms of hardware, there are drops across the board for every system this week. The two 3DS models are reunited in the top places, while Wii U sheds sales but stays a little ahead of the PlayStation 3; last week's sales are in parenthesis.

3DS LL – 34,180 (38,442)
3DS – 22,684 (28,538)
PlayStation Vita – 19,328 (31,795)
Wii U – 16,807 (22,829)
PlayStation 3 – 14,783 (19,069)
PSP – 8,876 (12,594)
Wii – 1,718 (1,858)
Xbox 360 – 536 (598)

So there you have it, the 3DS and two big-hitting games are still setting the agenda in Japan. Luigi's adventure is potentially just one week away from passing half a million sales in Nintendo's homeland, and Animal Crossing: New Leaf continues to be a reliable banker for the system.

[via gematsu.com]

Related Games

rjejr

rjejr said:

Judging from Animal Crossing history - Gamecube 2002, DS 2005, Wii 2008, 3DS 2012 - the WiiU has a big selling title to look forward to, in only 3 or 4 more years.

duality

duality said:

@SheldonRandoms The thing is though that these don't include digital download sales. And one of the latest figures for those had Animal Crossing's DD at something like 700 000 a couple months back. Who knows how much the sales are actually at now?

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

@rjejr Yeah I think you and I are the only ones that have contemplated an AC for the Wii U...Now THAT would sell some Wii U consoles!

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

I've added a little update to the article, as I forgot to weigh in download eShop sales, focusing instead on Media Create's figures. With download sales included, I imagine four million sales isn't that far away.

gavn64

gavn64 said:

Where is that jump mad guy, he likes to twist good news into bad just like the SUN newspaper. Really hope muramassa for vita gets an EU release.

Epic

Epic said:

The digital releases if its just like the first weeks it should be equal to 1/3 of the retail sales so if it didn't surprass the 4m its extremly close.

Peach64

Peach64 said:

I'm really looking forward to Animal Crossing. I loved the Cube and DS versions, but skipped the Wii version due to them being lazy with it. I just hope if they do bring one out on the Wii U, they properly build it from scratch and not just port New Leaf.

I'm happy Luigi is selling too. Hoping that this means Next Level will be allowed to do more roaming handheld games instead of being stuck on Mario Strikers. Star Fox Adventures 3DS please!

cyrus_zuo

cyrus_zuo said:

DQX sales are so terrible it's hard to fathom. WiiU is really struggling to capture the imagination of players :(. (loving mine though...)
3DS continues to do amazingly well in Japan. Looks like NSMB2 will outsell Mario Kart 7 in the coming weeks? I'm honestly surprised by that.

Mowzle

Mowzle said:

I just can't decide whether I should add to the retail or digital sales numbers, but whenever I see a picture of that adorable little Shizue, the Mayor's Secretary in AC:NL, my heart just melts. I can't wait to meet her.

e6666

e6666 said:

@cyrus_zuo: I don't think DQX sales are that bad. Not great, but It's number 12 and it's a re-release of a game they played also on the Wii.

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

I am really glad that Animal Crossing New Leaf became an incredible success in Japan. Hopefully it does just as well in the US and Europe too!

DerpSandwich

DerpSandwich said:

I really wouldn't be surprised if digital sales boosted it to 4 million or more. I mean, I'M definitely planning on going digital, and it sounds like a ton of people here are planning on doing the same.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

There is a very good chance its already over 4 million then as I heard a while back it was selling well on the eshop! That's crazy for a game in Japan to have that many sales and still going strong! Let's hope Luigi's Mansion 2 gets over a million as it deserves it!

Wonder_Ideal

Wonder_Ideal said:

I am amazed at the continuing momentum for Animal Crossing. It is a force of nature!
I'm also very pleased to see Weegie's Mansion doing well. It looks like Dark Moon is a bright point in the Man in Green's career.

XFsWorld

XFsWorld said:

@Tech101 I know for a fact Luigi Mansion will go over a million. I believe it will have over 2.5 million copies sold worldwide by the end of the year.

Windy

Windy said:

**Sigh** Dragon Quest X online such a bummer with sales like that its hard to argue that it will come to north america and europe. Dragon Quest X online and the emergence of possible Xenoblade are my Wii-U immediate system buys

LordessMeep

LordessMeep said:

Seeing Luigi's Mansion sell makes me real happy. :D AC:NL sales figures just make my wait that much harder.

Wii_Win

Wii_Win said:

@rjejr
Yes. If Ninty can somehow get an AC to the west by december, Wii U will have one heck of a holiday.

Emaan

Emaan said:

Yay for Animal Crossing! I hope the west side of things really embraces this game and keeps the success going o:

nastobi123

nastobi123 said:

goddaym , this will be my first Animal Crossing game, im so hyped. I didn't even buy FE and Luigis Mansion because of financial problems. I have to save money for upcoming Pokemon and this.

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

I'm glad it's selling so well in Japan. Hopefully it will sell well in the west, it's easily my most anticipated game of the year.

Musharna

Musharna said:

I'm buying at least 3 retail versions of AC and 2 digital versions of AC. Probably need to buy more copies of AC though.