Miiverse Hacked By Mistake, Possible Metal Gear And Yoshi Wii U Games Unearthed

Posted by Damien McFerran

UPDATED: It was only a "mock up" area, says Nintendo

EDIT: As many of you have pointed out, since the publication of this article Nintendo has revealed to GamesIndustry International that the menu accessed by the 'hacker' was in fact a mocked-up test menu and was not linked to the main Miiverse system.

Nintendo's official line is as follows:

It has come to our attention that some people were able to access a mock up menu on Miiverse following the launch of Wii U in the US. Please note that this was only a mock up menu and has now been removed and is not accessible.

Ah well, it was fun while it lasted.

ORIGINAL STORY: It's fair to say that the online side of Wii U hasn't gone exactly according to plan so far. First we were told that certain elements would be added after launch, and then many users were hit with a massive update as soon as they switched on their shiny new consoles - which took ages for some people to download. This morning we've also had the disappointing news that Nintendo Network IDs are linked to a single machine (for now).

It doesn't get any better, sadly. It has been revealed that a NeoGAF poster by the name of Trike accidentally managed to hack into the Wii U's admin hub, where he was able to uncover information relating to a series of new games:

I found out I could access the debug menu on Miiverse by hitting the "X" button on the gamepad while hovering over the exit button. I found an admin access list or something to that effect. I couldn't really do anything from there though. I could view different messages from a developer though. One mentioned that there would be big games coming out (announced?) on the 10th of December.

I went to another link that lead me to some test messages. I thought they were real when I found them, because they were posted 20 minutes ago from the time I accessed them. I could flag them for prohibited content, spoilers, and something else that I forget.

Then I went to a different link on the debug menu and it showed three different Miiverse subforums I could access that would be coming out on December 20th. I clicked on the "games for teens, kids and blah blah" (forgot the other two, I think family games was one of them?) and it lead to some sort of dispute between Timelord celebrities Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt. There were even more subforums for games specifically, including Yoshi's Island Wii U and Soul Hackers, and less specific ones like Metal Gear Solid and Resident Evils.

I don't know if I really could flag posts to be deleted or whatever, but I know I could not make myself an admin or delete admins. At least when I pressed the buttons nothing happened.

Nintendo has now apparently cut off Trike's access to the admin hub, but it makes you wonder just how secure the company's online infrastructure is if an end user - not a hacker - can inadvertently gain access.

[via neogaf.com, computerandvideogames.com]

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

Yoshi's Islans would be amazing <3

RE could turn out good as well I guess. Didn't really enjoy RE6.

gingerbeardman

gingerbeardman said:

I followed this over at NeoGAF last night/early this morning UK-time as it was happening. What he uncovered was admin and data for the Miiverse test screen (containing Yoshi, Gun, Wii Fit, Metroid, etc) used in pre-launch footage. It's referred to in an Iwata asks, where they also talked about how they can change the online stuff live - which explains how they fixed the issue immediately.

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

hmmm interesting indeed i mean come on any could of ended up on there even while just holding the gamepad the wrong way or something while updating

but in a way kinda good news that new games are coming maybe a nice hint in a way? cant hurt if he couldnt delete anything which would ruin it for everyone trying to set up the consoles

was this fix yet though?since he was just cut off but yeah others could of ended up on that page

Prof_Clayton

Prof_Clayton said:

This was interesting, I bet so many Wii U owners have tried this now.
Would have been cool if he became an admin, he couldn't have been deleted then. :P

SirSmugleaf

SirSmugleaf said:

Interesting...

Well, looks like we should keep our eyes peeled to december 10th, if that statement stands true...

bouncer0304

bouncer0304 said:

Hm, maybe it was left in on purpose to tease fans and see if anyone found it? Luckily though there was no personal information. It does make me a little worried though. When Nintendo has been hacked before, nothing ever got out due to the system they used. I hope this will stay the case. Still all those teasers makes it an interesting read....

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

A new Yoshi game would be awesome, but goodness, talk about an unintensional leak! I guess we'll have to wait until December 10 to see what happens. This reminds me of when NL posted a feature about wanting certain Wii U games, and a Yoshi game was one of them. Could this be a wish granted?

Araknie

Araknie said:

LOL, well they told Nintendo was doing something else and helding back project for not having a lot of talk and disperse indie games in the big projects talk.

Even if these projects are fakes something else is for sure in the making.

RevolverLink

RevolverLink said:

A new, hand-drawn, 2D Yoshi's Island built from scratch for an HD system?

Oh Reggie, you shouldn't have.

Tsuchiya

Tsuchiya said:

Apparently, it was fixed within the hour.
But it's an odd'n. The Flipnote Hatena username in some of the pics is real but it's a dormant account. In one pic, 2 identical looking Mii's seem to be talking about drawing and their dreams. I don't know, it all looks a bit iffy to me.

The debug menu pic doesn't look related to the other menus in the other leaked photos. If he did hack MiiVerse, was it done on the Wii U or a PC? Forgive me for not being tech savvy but I can't imaging Nintendo's monitoring team, monitoring things on a Wii U console.

The pics with drop down taps look PC-y to me.
Hoax?

MrWalkieTalkie

MrWalkieTalkie said:

Is it just me, or does Yoshi tend to have a constant involvement with the Metal Gear series when it's on Nintendo systems?

Tsuchiya

Tsuchiya said:

Scrap that Nintendoids, the name in the pictures is a Nintendo employee.
Web Application Engineer, Yoshiomi Kurisu.

That's some mistake...

rjejr

rjejr said:

Good to see Nintendo learning how to secure their online from Sony ;-)

(OK, that is a bit being the trolling jerk.)

OracleOfTruth

OracleOfTruth said:

Well, it turns out it was a mock up, but I don't quite get what that's supposed to mean. Also, are the Yoshi/Metal Gear games real or not?

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Well I don't think they would make a mockup based entirely on incorrect data, they could, but there's always a chance that some of it was real info. I'm really hoping that they bring Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes to Wii U, using the touch screen to change up my equipment in MGS: Snake Eater 3D was really convenient & tonnes of fun, so here's hoping Dec 10th brings some sort of announcement about that, but any MGS is good MGS in my book :D

photofool83

photofool83 said:

Yoshi's Island Wii U would be awesome!!

So would Pokemon Snap Wii U!!! (This has nothing to do with the article but it would be AWESOME!!)

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I'm not surprised to see that it was fake after all, but I would still like a Yoshi's Island U.

Yosher

Yosher said:

Well that was a pretty silly overlooked bug, but either way I'd LOVE a new Yoshi game. I hope this is true! <3

pntjr

pntjr said:

NO. MORE. FLIPPIN. YOSHI'S. ISLAND. REBOOTS.
What is this, Rayman 2? Yes, Yoshi's Island was a good game, I get it, but Yoshi needs something else now.

RCMADIAX

RCMADIAX said:

This brings up a good point of new titles, when will they come? I mean we have Pikmin, Wario, 101, and Wii Fit coming before April. When will they announce titles after that? E3 is too far after that for a release so I wonder if we will hear more at this years GDC?

shinpichu

shinpichu said:

@pntjr
Um...what? Yoshi's island reboots? There have been two sequels(YI:DS was a sequel, not a remake) to the original since it came about. That hardly seems like anything worth getting upset over...

3DSNoobieNerd

3DSNoobieNerd said:

"Mock up"? I think these games are going to be real. Nintendo just wants you to forget about it. Maybe it was supposed to be secret plans.

Malkeor

Malkeor said:

Read this just now on GI, and it's TOTALLY possible.
Loving it. To make it more believable there's DQX on there :D

zoroarkrules25

zoroarkrules25 said:

I think that like someone else said in the comments it could have be left there to see if it was noticed. Also maybe nintendo denied us about this being just mock up menu so there wouldn't be a spoiled list that players think are real. They may think that people will forgot this if they move those announcement dates to a later time which they may do. So i wouldn't deny this right away.

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

I'm not sure the 'hack' is indicative of Nintendo's online security status - as Nintendo have confirmed it was simply a mock-up, most likely the whole of what he accessed was a mock-up / non-live version of the admin system (and not the actual admin system) left in the system and forgotten about. It happens quite a lot.

kyoya

kyoya said:

i'm not sure if this was a hack or not but mock-up means a full-scale working model of something built for study or testing and or display so if this was a "mistake" why use the word mock-up? they might be way more to this than meets the eye i don't know why but i think that there is something being left out.
but if those games do sound awesome

Henmii

Henmii said:

Lol, already some hacking! And even by misstake (imagine what happens if someone evil uses a little bit of effort)!

Face it: Nintendo made one gigantic mess of the Wii u launch! I also hear very worrying things about the Wii shop content (VC and Wiiware doesn't seem to get shoved to the Wii u e-shop, and it possibly means the VC area won't be expaned in the future) I wait a few months. By that time the dust may have settled a bit!

WaxxyOne

WaxxyOne said:

Whoops. It's not at all uncommon for developers working on software to code in a "back door" that lets them into some test page so that they can put dummy data into the system and quickly see what it looks like. This helps them keep that test data out of the live areas that all the consumers are going to see, but if you're not careful and forget to remove the back door, these kinds of things can happen.

I work in IT for a company with a web-based storefront and there have been a couple times where unreleased features and pages that were obviously made for testing have accidentally found their way into our customers' hands. Usually no harm is done except to the unfortunate developer's pride, but it does make for some great office banter. :)