Miiverse Explained In Latest Nintendo Direct

Posted by Orla Madden

New information for the online social service

Today's Nintendo Direct's broadcast provided fresh details on Miiverse, the feature many have been waiting to hear more about. It really starts with the WaraWara Plaza — an image can be found at the end of this article — when you power-up the Wii U; this is the first thing you'll see on the TV screen.

A video featuring New Super Mario Bros. U showed Miiverse in action, and what looks like Nintendo's version of Twitter - allowing users to retweet and reply to individual posts and start conversation threads within a messaging area. Instead of swapping Friend Codes each time you meet someone new, meanwhile, you can simply add them as a friend on the Miiverse board and wait for them to do the same back. Screenshots can also be taken from any game and posted to the boards, giving you the chance to ask for help in a particular part in the game which you can't complete. Another pretty neat feature is a setting that allows users to automatically hide posts marked with a spoiler tag; there's nothing worse than a spoiler, right?

It was also confirmed that Miiverse will be available in all games, including both first-party and third-party titles, though the depth of implementation depends in each individual release.

So, what are your thoughts on the new Miiverse details? We'll post more details as we hear them, and will also add any translated videos as they're made available.

BenAV

BenAV said:

It's all looking pretty good.
Can't wait to try it out for myself.

Smitherenez

Smitherenez said:

I am looking forward too Miiverse the most! I just love the idea of mixing up games and social networking (in a proper fashion, I dislike facebook games :S).

triforcepower73

triforcepower73 said:

Facebook, twitter< miiverse. :D So glad that they don't have friend codes anymore! But I'm still a bit confused as to the transition between the warawara plaza and the menu. How long will the plaza be shown before it goes to the menu? How is the plaza interacted with?

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

FYI - I've now thrown in an image of WaraWara Plaza, which I personally think will be a charming thing to see when the system boots up.

SuperNictendo

SuperNictendo said:

Man, we're so close to launch. I'm so excited about how Nintendo did miiverse. It looks like a blast to use

MrWalkieTalkie

MrWalkieTalkie said:

In the lower right corner of that WaraWara Plaza, it seems you can switch the screens so the plaza can be on the controller and menu on the tv?

BluTyGer

BluTyGer said:

"Instead of swapping Friend Codes each time you meet someone new, meanwhile, you can simply add them as a friend on the Miiverse board and wait for them to do the same back."
I don't understand this. are there still friend codes?

kyuubikid213

kyuubikid213 said:

And now I'm 100% satisfied with the MiiVerse capabilities. Can't wait. God, NintendoLife, you are going to make this last two weeks utter hell on me...

Emaan

Emaan said:

Miiverse looks so useful for me. I'll still make time for Nintendolife of course! :p

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

So you can take a picture of your accomplishments for the ultimate online bragging? That sounds really cool.