New Professor Layton Title Confirmed for iOS and Android

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Taking investigations beyond Nintendo

The Professor Layton series has become rather popular on Nintendo DS and 3DS, with the first of the latest handheld's entries arriving outside of Japan in late October. It's much-loved in Japan, especially, with manga, novels and a movie — Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva — all being released, the latter also available outside of the Land of the Rising Sun. When it comes to the games, however, it's been all about Nintendo, but that's something that's set to change.

While the main series will continue on 3DS with Professor Layton and the Remains of an Advanced Civilisation in 2013, a title roughly translated as Professor Layton and the Century of the Seven Phantom Thieves has been revealed in Famitsu magazine for iOS and Android devices. Layton and Luke apparently track down thieves in London with social play that allows gamers to share information, while rewards for success will be costumes and props for the player's avatar. It seems to be a freemium title, so it'll be free with optional in-app purchases.

Layton Brothers: Mystery Room is also in the works for iOS, featuring Layton's son Alphendi investigating crime scenes. While these releases are different in style and concept from the DS and 3DS titles, it shows that Level-5 isn't averse to taking the franchise onto other systems, meaning that it certainly isn't a Nintendo-exclusive brand.

[via pocketgamer.co.uk]

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

Yes! I hope they start bringing the main series to iOS, too. I think the 2nd and 3rd games are expensive to get, now.

EDIT: Nevermind, they're cheap right now. Not sure how long they'll last at those prices, though. At the very least they need to port the first game, since that is expensive, and it would introduce a bunch of new people to the series.

These new games sound pretty cool, though. I'll probably check them out. I wonder if the second iOS game is more of a practical point 'n' click adventure?

Squashie

Squashie said:

Hmm, I didn't think I would ever see this happen but I am not too unhappy with it. I t will be interesting to see Layton introduced to a new audience!

TwilightPoint

TwilightPoint said:

1. Spin-off
2. Freemium, so likely you will have to buy "puzzle packs"

I have no problem with this as long as they keep the main games on DS, 3DS.

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

Meh. Part of what made the Layton games so great was that they fit the DS really well. I wouldn't buy them on iOS myself.

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

The freemium one sounds a bit pap, but the other one appears an insta-download (I'm an ipad3 user as well now). Not in the same solar system as the Ninty console titles obviously.

BigBluePanda

BigBluePanda said:

Ah, shame. Despite being developed by Level-5, the 'Professor Layton' series always struck me as a Nintendo franchise and I was hoping it would forever remain an exclusive. Ah well, at least it'll reach out to new audiences, saying that, it already has been successful worldwide, establishing a dedicated fan base.

flowerchild

flowerchild said:

YAHOO! YEAH! Can't wait for the iOS games. Have all PL games to date, inc., the PL and the Eternal Diva video. What a wonderful world this will be! 👍📱

EDIT I also have have PL and the Miracle Mask on pre-order and will purchase the PL/Ace Attorney game.

LeasTwanteD

LeasTwanteD said:

Layton's son? Who doesn't want this as an eShop title? :o
Perhaps even the freemium game. In a GOTY edition maybe?
I'm sure there's a fortune of extra coins to be made here.

Linkstrikesback

Linkstrikesback said:

It never made sense to me that Layton games were (3)DS exclusive. Well, except for the whole "NIntendo is localizing it" thing.

That said, iOS exclusive games tick me off just as much. I'd love to see the new iOS games on the eShop. Make it happen, Level 5!

Hokori

Hokori said:

Sweet that means we SHOULD get an eShop Layton title for like $10 or whatever

pixelman

pixelman said:

Groan, it's freemium. Pictures of the zillion Gameloft/Zynga/whatever freemium games reskinned as Layton are coming to my mind.

Ah well, hopefully this one will be different. I'd love to have me some legit Layton on iOS.

NintendoMaster

NintendoMaster said:

I would have liked the Layton Series to remain a Nintendo exclusive. I wonder how the final product will turn out.

zezhyrule

zezhyrule said:

And this is news on NintendoLife because...?

Oh no! We're losing this series! Level-5 abandoned us!
burns all his Layton games

sykotek

sykotek said:

I'm going to wait and see how the game looks and plays on Android before I consider purchasing it. ...hopefully they'll be reasonably priced though, I'm not paying more than $5 for a phone app.

Henmii

Henmii said:

So to sum it all up: Here are all the titles we western Nintendo fans still haven't got:

Mask of miracles: Coming pretty soon!
Remains of a advanced civilisation: Sometime in the future.
Layton vs Phoenix Wright: Possibly sometime in the future.

Layton Brothers: Mystery Room: So far only on mobile phone.
Mansion of the deathly mirror: So far only on mobile phone.
Century of the seven phantom thieves: Coming up for mobile phone.

So that makes 6 titles.

TheAdza

TheAdza said:

I kind of wish Nintendo would buy Level 5. They obviously love Nintendo platforms, and also they are great devs. Really looking forward to Ni No Kuni on the PS3 next year. It looks amazing. Just imagine if that was a Wii U title. Also the Layton games would would pretty well on the Wii U as well. Especially if they were downloadable games with new mysteries and puzzles to solve as DLC.

I don't think I will be buying the iOS games, however I am glad that they are not remakes of the games we have already. Kind of lessens the appeal of the original games. Just like having scribblenauts on iOS for really cheap but the DS/3DS/WiiU games seem very expensive by comparison and not as exclusive, and maybe just that little bit not as special any more.

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

Would prefer to play Layton on a DS or 3DS than an ipad3. That's the full game, not these iOS apps thingys

Kirk

Kirk said:

It will probably work just as well on iOS devices, if not actually better (the touch screen response etc is certainly superior on an iPhone/iPad), and most likely do a crap load better on iOS too.

Araknie

Araknie said:

Level-5 announced that this will be a puzzle thingy with no story and no exploration.
Enjoy apple users.

Hokori

Hokori said:

I see level5's plan, sell these 5 min no story, no exploration puzzles to new people so that when they see the 3DS version they'll go for that also