Secret Third-Party Wii U Games Under Wraps Until Autumn

Posted by James Newton

More in the pipeline

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata has revealed we'll see brand new third-party Wii U games later this year when Nintendo reveals the console's price and release date.

Iwata told The Independent that while we've seen some of the machine's third-party line-up, there's more to see:

I think some of these projects have already been announced at E3, but there are other games in the works that haven’t been announced yet and in the autumn, when we announce price point and timing of the launch, we will also be able to announce some more third-party titles.

Whether or not those third-party games will make it for launch is something we'll also have to wait to find out, but if you've been unimpressed by Wii U's third-party offerings so far there might be something to interest you at these autumnal events.

[via independent.co.uk]

Drawdler

Drawdler said:

I'M BATMAN. SHH!

Anyway, Professor Layton please. Remakes or new are both fine with me. :)

voulg160

voulg160 said:

TOME Raider maybe Bioshock infinite or Farcry 3 Crisis 3 the list goes on i mean how many game releases can be slid back into november and december without gaining attention

Scollurio

Scollurio said:

I just hope we not only get remakes of games I've already skipped on my 360 because I didn't like them - I'd hope for something truly unique, if you want to sell us "asymmetric gameplay" Nintendo, then make sure your third party developer jump the wagon and create something truly unique only possible on your platform.

Things that come to my mind:

• Dungeon Master like game, one guy is the dungeon master setting traps and monsters while the 3 others try to reach the treasure and make it through alive
  • Racing Games where you have telemetry and data on your gamepad or even have someone use it as tool in pitlane to diagnose and repair damage on your racecar
  • Take any survival horror game and ONE gamer plays all the evil stuff while 2 others try to make it through like in umbrella chronicles

...

BenAV

BenAV said:

I'm going to be completely broke once the Wii U launches.
So much I want already. D:

Araknie

Araknie said:

No More Heroes 3 seems the one more true.
Suda51 said that i will be on the next Nintendo consoles some months ago so i really hope for a conclusion of that triolgy. ONE THAT DOES NOT SKIPS A FIGHT! LOL

MAB

MAB said:

I'm glad I started putting cash aside for this at the end of last year because I have now accumulated over $2000 for my WiiU/3DS pool :) now I shall bath in an infinite unrelenting gamefest for the rest of eternity :P

hydeks

hydeks said:

I hope for no more heroes 3 too, and yay I heard Suda 51 say something about it showing up on a Nintendo console again on IGN, here's hoping it does!!!

PixelatedPixie

PixelatedPixie said:

If this is a deliberate ploy by Nintendo I have to say it's a really dumb idea. When the market is wary of, and in some cases confused by, your product you should be shouting your wares from the rooftop, not hiding them in the dark. Nintendo should be releasing information every day about how awesome Wii U is, what new features it brings to table and, yes, telling you about all the great games that are on the way. This weird silence thing is kind of killing any anticipation I had for the system. The system's likely to be released in 6 months time and I'm still not exactly clear on why I would want a tablet controller.

Bigdog

Bigdog said:

Obviously I want the big 3rd party multi-platform stuff to come to Wii U to help solidify the console but...

For me, personally, I would just go ape-CRAZY if SimCity was announced for Wii U releasing in 2013 with the PC version. Off the wall, but that game would be incredible in Wii U.

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

Well at least we'll know the release date soon. @pixlatedpixie Nintendo has already announced some of the third party titles and are allowed to hold something back, it's called building hype.

luminalace

luminalace said:

BRING IT ON I SAY! I want Resident Evil 6, Black Ops 2, Need 4 Speed: Most Wanted 2 & GTA5 to be officially announced. Also Ubi if you are listening I want Watch Dogs and Far Cry 3 on my Wii U!

EvansLegends

EvansLegends said:

Couldn't they have shown THESE projects at E3 this year instead of Wii Fit U, Sing, and Just freaking Dance 4? I know they consider E3 to be just the tip of the iceberg, but that was the BIGGEST EVENT OF THE YEAR! Everyone's saying Nintendo bombed!

Eh, I guess it might have been too early to show them... like Retro's project? This is still good news nevertheless. Let's hope they're games that people want to play.

zeldazero

zeldazero said:

@PixelatedPixie
I have to say I agree to an extent, but if I was Nintendo I would do the same thing. We all know the other console makers want all the info we do as well so they can use it to thier own advantage. If the Wii U released a price competitors would quickly jump on the opprotunity to drop thier console prices to compete and Nintendo wants them to have as little time as possible to react. Also with games, if we knew everything now, we would have no reason to come here everyday to see whats new. Like any smart company they keep us wanting more. As much as I want more, the thrill of waiting to see what pops up is just as exciting :)

PixelatedPixie

PixelatedPixie said:

@mumof2kids82

True, but in order for them to build hype they're going to need momentum and interest, which in my opinion the Wii U is sorely lacking currently. This is of course just my opinion, but I feel now is not the time for Nintendo to be holding anything back. Coming out of E3 I got the sense that Nintendo fans (i.e. those most likely to buy the system on release day) were not encouraged and that casual gamers and the mainstream press are either confused by it or simply disinterested.

The silence from Nintendo not only on games but on system features and services is deafening. Pikmin 3 looks good and Miiverse looks like a thing, but I still get the sense that Nintendo have failed to convey what the Wii U is and why I would want one. The best way they can overcome that problem is by showing us the games, not hiding them.

Just to reiterate, this is the opinion of someone who knows nothing about launching a games console or, indeed, business generally.

Emaan

Emaan said:

Good to see we'll be getting some more third party support. To be honest though, the best thing about this news is finding out that the price and release date for the Wii U will be revealed sometime this Fall. That's what I'll be waiting for!

LavaTwilight

LavaTwilight said:

I'd love to see Tomb Raider on WiiU! As someone who can't afford the luxury of all 3 consoles my loyalty stays with Nintendo so I'm not going to buy any other console for just one game (O wait I did that with Toejam and Earl for the XBox). I'd like to see Sim City released for WiiU too, the gamepad will work so well with a game like that!

kyuubikid213

kyuubikid213 said:

@PixelatedPixie
These secret titles are to entice the people who are possibly on the fence about Wii U, not to bring in the casual gamers. Also, with all of the awesome games they showed at E3, ports or not, I think they can hold back a little.
I mean really, we've seen...
Batman Arkham City
Lego City Undercover
Assassin's Creed III
Wii Fit U
Just Dance 4
Pikmin 3
Tekken Tag Tournament
TANK TANK TANK
Aliens Colonial Marines
Trine 2
Mass Effect 3
Scribblenauts Unlimited
and Nintendoland.

That is a pretty big list and some of those titles already have me wanting Wii U.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

The third-party line-up is already massive, so even more titles in the works will make it just huge. I knew the Wii U date and price would come in the Fall, so it should be announced as early as September.

Odnetnin

Odnetnin said:

I'd really appreciate if they told us sooner rather than later, so I can make some purchasing decisions.

Nintendoro

Nintendoro said:

Battlefield 3 game of the year edition, please! Also dead space collection, crysis collection and make it happen tommorow!

Token_Girl

Token_Girl said:

Hopefully, some of these games will be NEW, and they just needed some more time before they were ready to be shown.

Urbanhispanic

Urbanhispanic said:

It's going to be exciting to see what else is going to come for the Wii U. The more quality launch games, the better.

Lew3107

Lew3107 said:

GTA5, DOA5, MGR: Revengeance, DmC, Far Cry 3, Watch Dogs, Bioshock Infinite, OverStrike, SimCity, NFS: Most Wanted, Splinter Cell: Blacklist & Rainbow Six: Patriots. If these games come to the Wii U, my pockets are going to be thinner than Keira Knightley.