Suda51 Still Waiting for His Wii U Dev Kit

Posted by James Newton

Must be a problem with the post office...

The Wii U controller may have given Suda 51 ideas for No More Heroes 3, but the eccentric head of Grasshopper Manufacture is still waiting for a development kit to call his own.

Speaking to Nintendo Life's Jon Wahlgren this past weekend, Suda revealed he's not even sure he'll be working on Nintendo's new machine:

Jon: Have you got hold of a Wii U development kit yet?

Suda: Not right now, no.

Jon: Is that something you are looking to get ahold of?

Suda: It’s hard to say. Maybe, maybe not. It’s really depending on publishers. We are developers, so it’s up to a publisher.

Publishers, hurry up.

[via pushsquare.com]

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

Well, this crushes my hopes of seeing NMH3 for Wii U at e3. Hopefully we'll see it later on though.

shingi_70

shingi_70 said:

not sure what nintendo is doing. Suda has always been abig supporter of their systems.

Odd grasshopper had two xbox games come out this month.

motang

motang said:

Come on Nitendo give the man some dev kits so we can get some games that are bizarre.

V8_Ninja

V8_Ninja said:

Considering that almost all of his games have sold below expectations, I'm not surprised that his publishers aren't letting him play with new toys just yet so that he doesn't end up sinking thousands of dollars into a game for a console that could fall either way in terms of popularity and sales.

ArcanaXVI

ArcanaXVI said:

I say we sic the Killer 7 on every publisher until Suda gets a development kit. He's a brilliant developer, sales figures be damned.

Dashtag

Dashtag said:

Nintendo, I ave to agree, has been npredictable lately, with foggy reports from everywhere of rumors left and right. I suspect it'll calm down only once everything is back to normal and the 720 and PS4 and Wii U are out. Why? Wii U has an unimaginable amount of foggy rumors, the 720 will pick up in rumors, and the same will be with the PS4. And I can also say AS SOON AS THE WII U IS OUT, 3DS "Lite" or "XL" rumors will be passed around. Right now though, don't take anything seriously and give Nintendo some time to clear this all up.

JonWahlgrenAdmin

JonWahlgren said:

To everyone blaming Nintendo: Dev kits aren't handed out willy-nilly, nor is Nintendo withholding one from Grasshopper. What Suda is saying is that they do not have any Wii U projects lined up at the moment because they haven't entered into any agreements with publishers about Wii U projects, hence no Wii U dev kit.

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

WHAT!? Give that man a dev kit Nintendo. No More Heroes 3 for WiiU needs to happen. Love Suda 51 and his games.

Ben_Rage_V2

Ben_Rage_V2 said:

I wonder if a game like Terria could be possible with the Wii U's new controller. I know this seems like a random comment but I noticed @V8_Ninja profile pic and made me recollect all of my wonderful memories of that amazing game. No more Heroes is also awesome :0

Magicpegasus

Magicpegasus said:

@V8_Ninja I don't think popularity and economics are what Suda51 is about. Video games are products, sure, but they're also art. Suda understands that what he does isn't going to sell like whatever FPS or football games are popular right now. If all he cared about were profits, he would be in the publisher, not a developer.

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

@DogNut64 Travis Touchdown isn't going to kill all of us for not playing his games, just look at me, I haven't played either and don't plan to....

Travis Touchdown kills Knuckles and redeems his spot as top assassin

Ernest_The_Crab

Ernest_The_Crab said:

Hm...maybe Suda51 can enter into a contract with Nintendo. Then he'd have a kit and we'd get his games. Of course, the problem would lie with NoA after he develops something, as there's no guarantee NoA would publish it.

Bankai

Bankai said:

@22 as beautiful as that idea is, Suda's games need to make money or publishers will stop publishing his games. And I've had bees with Suda. The dude cares about sales figures.

Bankai

Bankai said:

Stupid iPhone. Beers, not bees. Though I would be happy to have bees with Suda too.

BudrSbastig

BudrSbastig said:

They already have a dev kit for wii u, its the same one they use for wii but with a bit of tinsel stuck to it!

hydeks

hydeks said:

the only person to make me care about Wii U HASN'T GOTTEN A DEV KIT!!!?? OMG nintendo, just dig urself a freakin hole and die in it will ya? You might as well, ur doing it urself...

Kingbuilder

Kingbuilder said:

@Chrono_Cross - That's your opinion. I've never played any of his games, but from what I see he has a significant legion of fans that actually enjoy them so he definitely should get a dev kit. Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean the rest of the world should be deprived of it.

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

Hopefully he'll get a Wii U project. Although I made the mistake of not buying No More Heroes upon release I did correct that oversight and pre-ordered the sequel.

I'd take an endless series of Travis Touchdown sequels over space marines any day of the week, but I'd like to see something new (and irreverent) from Suda 51 on the Wii U