Marvel Pinball 3D a Separate eShop Game, not DLC

Posted by James Newton

Cleared up

Nintendo Europe's list of eShop games coming soon contains Marvel Pinball 3D from Zen Studios on the way in the second quarter of this year.

Zen Studios plans to support Marvel Pinball 3D with Marvel-branded DLC, while it will bring original tables to Zen Pinball 3D. Two games, two sets of DLC. Simple.

If you're not fussed about Spider-man and co., read our Zen Pinball 3D review to see if you should take the plunge(r) and grab this version.

From the web

mushroomer

mushroomer said:

Why is this site sooo European focused? Is nintendolife from UK? I would like to at least include hints if the product is heading to the states or not..

Raylax

Raylax said:

@Mushroomer: It's a UK-based website.

Might have to pick this up. Not a huge marvel fan (or comic books in general), but Zen Pinball is excellent.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

I just hope it doesn't take another two months to come state side. Definite buy for me!

bboy2970

bboy2970 said:

Sweet! I love Zen Pinball so I will absolutely be buying this along with any DLC they can throw at us!

shingi_70

shingi_70 said:

Cool. Glad I waited. Not big on the Base set but the Marvel stuff and DLC like epic quest is worth the money.

FriedSquid

FriedSquid said:

Hmm... I'm a little bit more interested in this one. Not a big fan of pinball games, though, so I probably won't get it. But maybe, just maybe.

OldBoy

OldBoy said:

Downloaded Zen at the weekend. Freakin excellent game! Looking forward to the Marvel one and DLC.Great stuff.

mikelite

mikelite said:

Am I the only one disappointed by Zen Pinball? Playing on that tiny screen is a horrible experience.

McRokert

McRokert said:

i hope they will give us first some DLC and then after that the Marvel Pinball !!

ejamer

ejamer said:

Not sure if I like this news. It makes a lot of sense to separate the games, especially for the dev/publisher who has to manage licensing rights, but it would be more convenient for me not to have two separate pinball icons on my 3DS home menu. Because now I will have two separate icons...

Anyway, Zen Pinball is still the best thing that's happened to my 3DS. (Not taking anything away from Resident Evil which is also completely awesome.) Fully expecting Marvel Pinball to follow suit.

grumblebuzzz

grumblebuzzz said:

Whew. When I read the teaser for the article, I was afraid they were backing out of their promise to provide DLC to Zen Pinball and just trying to make a quick extra buck here. Glad to know both games will be supported.

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

Not interested in Marvel, and I already have Zen Pinball 3D. Won't b e getting this.

Freelance

Freelance said:

@TeeJay

Marvel Pinball is better then Zen though. I'd advise you to get it.

Then again, Pinball Arcade will be better than both but hey, you can never have enough pinball.

RR529

RR529 said:

Loved Zen Pinball, so this is a must buy for me when it arrives in the States. Not a comic book person, but Spider Man and X-Men are brands that are big enough that I'm also a bit interested in it for that.

DanteSolablood

DanteSolablood said:

I love Marvel but I think I'll pass, I've never been a fan of pinball games as I find the real ones much more fun. Maybe if they stuck some pokémon on it I might be more tempted! :D

Spideron

Spideron said:

>While Zen Studios has released the tables as DLC for Zen Pinball on PlayStation Network, 3DS will get the Marvel tables as a standalone game, not add-on content for Zen Pinball 3D, the studio confirmed.

Huh? Marvel Pinball is a separate game on PSN also, the tables are not DLC for Zen Pinball... Both games got additional tables as DLC though - I got them both with all addons...

stipey

stipey said:

@RR529 I've actually just bought four of the Marvel tables on 360. Cunningly enough, they separate the Spiderman and X-Men ones into two different DLC packs. I've never even heard of most of the other comics (I am ashamed), but their tables are so good it makes me want to check them out!

retrox

retrox said:

Have money, will spend.

@mikelite:

There's nothing quite like the real thing. I'm pretty good with the silverball on real tables, but it still took me lots of practice to re-adjust to playing on a handheld. You CAN pull off advanced tricks and maneuvers (traps, passes, bangbacks, etc.) on Zen, you just have to time everything perfectly as, obviously, there isn't as much surface area on those tiny little flippers... hence they are very unforgiving. I've played Excalibur probably a hundred times and I still have trouble hitting the right orbit consistently.

The big draw for me is that I can cram all those tables into my pocket and take them with me.

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

As @JonWahlgren mentioned, the Marvel Pinball tables on XBLA are incorporated into one game called Pinball FX 2 but it is essentially still Zen Pinball.

I do hope that we get the Marvel: Vengeance and Virtue tables as well. Those are a heck of a lot of fun, especially Ghost Rider and Thor. :)

cheapogamer4life

cheapogamer4life said:

Yep, its the same way on PSN too. All downloadable tables through the Zen Pinball gamep itself.

As for theses Marvel tables I'll definitely have some points aside to get this as soon as its release.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Just here to back up extremist, I also have Zen Pinball and Marvel pinball as 2 completely separate downloaded games on PSN. And I don't even like pinball. I think I got Zen for $5 on a whim (after enjoying the demo) and Marvel w/ PS+. I do like the Marvel tables better. Watching Doc. Ock walk across the table is cool.

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

Wait, is Pinball Arcade coming to the eShop? 'Cause that's the one I would be waiting for. I'm with @Dantesolablood up there — much prefer real tables to the fake, all-digital ones. But if I could play Medievel Madness and Theatre of Magic on my 3DS? Yes please.

bofis

bofis said:

I just wish they'd make more tables like Pinball Pulse, which is my favorite pinball game on my 3ds, using the two screens to show the entire table is way better than squeezing it all onto the top screen

carson

carson said:

This looks so cool!

@Mushroomer

You'll know how included/excluded north america will be, by looking at who is writing the article.

Freelance

Freelance said:

Aren't you're all forgetting that in this day and age it is extremely hard to find a real pinball table to play with? You guys should consider yourself lucky that you can still play real pins but for the majority of us, the only thing we can do is turn to video games to get our pinball fix.

Not all video pinball games are horrible too. Games like the Pro Pinball series and the collections from Farsight prove it with their realistic authentic simulations and attention to detail. Pro Pinball series aren't based on real life pins but they could easily pass off as one.

Anyway, to answer a question, yes. There will be a 3DS version of Pinball Arcade.