Heroes of Ruin Trailer Asks a Lot of Questions

Posted by James Newton

Ruinscape

Square Enix action adventure Heroes of Ruin made it onto our list of The Biggest 3DS Games of 2012, with a new trailer below coming along to whet your appetite.

The video might be heavy on questions instead of answers but you can always listen to our podcast interview to clear up some of Heroes of Ruin's details.

LeasTwanteD

LeasTwanteD said:

Design doesn't look any more than decent to me. But that won't stop me being cautiously optimistic. Great podcast interview by the way, somehow missed it back then.

@James: The screenshot caption isn't incidentally influenced by a certain German band beginning with "R" and ending with "ammstein" ? :)

joevox316

joevox316 said:

I watched a video of one of the developers playing through a stage on YouTube. It looks pretty cool. It's not too much like Diablo or Titan's Quest because it has more of an emphasis on action. I always wondered why hack n' slash games made you feel more like a robot and less like you were....hacking and slashing. you can even roll around.

Shworange

Shworange said:

@zenarium
I heard that it does. I believe it's a multiplayer co-op type deal. With the claim that there are new "daily" challenges, I am getting very excited about it. It definately seems to have a MMO feel from what I've seen and read.

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

@warioswoods: had i been drinking something just now, you would've owed me a new netbook. excellent reference :3

as for the game, i must say i'm (cautiously?) interested. will have to see how it goes once it's released :3

Radixxs

Radixxs said:

Brilliant tag line, exemplifies exactly why I probably won't get this game. The graphics look like uninspired Runescape graphics, and the gameplay sounds boring.

Kifa

Kifa said:

The game looks mediocre at best, at least based on what we can see in this trailer. Maybe the gameplay itself wlll be interesting enough to keep players hooked, but otherwise... Well, I don't see myself getting this.

paburrows

paburrows said:

This game looks a little like Gauntlet Dark Legacy.

So I'm assuming that the rating will be a T for Teen in America?

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

Looks good, though a little cartoon-y maybe it'll be decent, but I'm waiting for Monster Hunter 4.

Vava

Vava said:

Yes it looks fine, but the animations seem quite rigid... and the story doesn't show any interesting fact :/

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

I won't be getting this for the same reasons Radixxs said and it sounds too much like an MMO for my liking too and I'm not into MMOs.

bub166

bub166 said:

Wow, now that you point it out, this does have a striking resemblance to Runescape. I hope it doesn't steal quite as many hours of my life as that game, though. :P

ianmage1

ianmage1 said:

"What Treasure, Honor, and Power lies in the ruins?" That has to be the most corny set of questions I've ever heard from a trailer. Weak...
I doubt I'll buy this game. It's also developed by N space, which hasn't been making any decent games recently.

Malkeor

Malkeor said:

'Ruinscape'? ugh...

This game looks interesting though! Always love these kind of games. (except runescape)

BenAV

BenAV said:

Visually, it doesn't look that great.
Good thing that's the last thing I care about.
Really excited for this game.

Progamer

Progamer said:

Hopefully the online features can make up for the graphics and sound. But it has DLC, add on content, so I might get it. :) I definetly want to see how the online interface goes too, I'd like a smooth one. This is also a new IP for Nintendo.

Radixxs

Radixxs said:

I mean, I really want to like this game. But it's the poor visuals from such a high profile publisher/developer and the apparent lack of inspiration is making it difficult.

metalpants

metalpants said:

These graphics must be from the older builds. I've downloaded 3D screens of this game to my 3DS and it looks WAY better than this. Also, the online is so robust and the gameplay is so chock-full of content that it won't matter if it actually ends up looking like that ^.

Progamer

Progamer said:

Hopefully a demo for this will be available, then we can all see for our selves how it really looks and plays.

Son

Son said:

Square Enix should have made a Final Fantasy game instead of this. FFV or FFVI remake.

AuroraKnight

AuroraKnight said:

I'm excited for this. yea the graphics aren't the greatest I've seen on the 3ds but they are impressive and miles ahead of the old DS graphics. Furthermore the gameplay looks thrilling and engaging. Online play, voice chat, difficulty adjjustments based on how many people are playing. I saw at least 3 skill tree's for vindicator on the wiki, so it's safe to say there'll be a good amount of abilities avilable. Random generated dungeons, daily challenges. I'm sold!