Finally, Shouting at Donkey Kong Makes a Difference

Posted by James Newton

"You stupid ape!"

SEGA's Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games uses just about every input the 3DS has to offer, but it's the weightlifting event that looks to make best use of the machine's microphone.

As the new trailer below shows, you can shout at your character to give them an extra bit of power. While it might make you look a bit odd out in public, it's only helping a necktie-wearing gorilla to win an Olympic medal; nothing that could get you committed.

North American 3DS owners can get a free trial of the game next week as part of the 3DS demo download program.

coolvw93

coolvw93 said:

it would have been cool if nintendo had done this for Starfox 64 3D, then you could yell at slippy to get him to stop crying for help all the time

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

Poor DK. No wonder he didn't pay any attention to Mario when he was chasing him in the first Mario vs. Donkey Kong.

At any rate, the shouting mechanic sounds pretty bizarre.

WingedSnagret

WingedSnagret said:

Haha, I can just see myself now... "Throw the freaking weight already you stupid oversized turtle!!" (referring to Bowser).

WingedSnagret

WingedSnagret said:

And why do I get the feeling that this game is going to cause more then a few broken 3DS' due to some over exuberant players?

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

I will probably try the demo next week. @00:35 what Peach might move like, if she were a ninja.

LeasTwanteD

LeasTwanteD said:

Good thing is that most likely you can say whatever you want and still get the same results. So a "I'm not insane, i wouldn't talk to a handheld if the game wouldn't make me." in public will most likely do as well. If people are really convinced of what you're saying is another question.

Nintendo6400

Nintendo6400 said:

Without dream events its a downer to me, but theres a story mode so I dunno. They need to do a real crossover with these 2.

Haywired

Haywired said:

Was hoping devs would've forgotten it still had a microphone... Too many bad memories from early DS games... At least it's not blowing!

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

Got the Wii version and happy with it. Especially in multi-player. I still may get this as it uses nearly all of the features of the 3DS and has more events. The Dream Events on the DS versions were not ever that good tbh although the handheld versions were always decent.

joevox316

joevox316 said:

While I would prefer these were the Mushroom Kingdom/Mobius Olympics, this actually looks like it could be fun. I've never given the other installments a chance. I'll be happy to download the demo.

bahooney

bahooney said:

You know you're a nerd when you get chills at the end because Mario and Sonic did that cool, bro-hand thing. They're buds. The '90s kid in me is so happy. :')

Wildvine53

Wildvine53 said:

This looks like a lot of fun, this will probably be one of the demos that actually hits it's play limit.

Punny

Punny said:

"C'mon you stinkin' hedgehog! If you're the fastest thing alive, how come you're being out-run by that flabby Wario!?"

After years of screaming at video games, the games finally listen! :)

BudDudSlash

BudDudSlash said:

This looks like so much stupid fun! I've always wanted a DS golf game where I could blow into the mic to nudge a ball into the hole by the tiniest amount. I guess screaming at DK is close to that.

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

@PunnyGuy ,how did you know about my M&S shamed 400 meter dash? True story my touch screen wasnt working right, and i lost to wario by 2 THOUSANDTHS of a second!! Sadder i was using sonic the fastest thing alive and was beaten by a walking sack of garlic! (No offense to wario fans intended)

misswliu81

misswliu81 said:

strange but funny at the same time. i can only guess the stares you get from other people.

looks like an improvement over the wii version.

milkman12

milkman12 said:

ive got an idea...

"CHICKEN CHICKEN CHICKEN, CHICKEN GO GO GO WOOTWOOTWOOT" it'd be cool if you could play as your mii.

Dodger

Dodger said:

Good luck using the 3D with most of these games.

Looks like the same old same old. It isn't the worst minigame collection ever but there are ones that are way better. Wii Sports Resort is better.

A Mario and Sonic spinoff series is a cool idea. Letting Sega handle it isn't. Making it a sports mini game collection isn't.

Sabrewing

Sabrewing said:

Admittedly, I'm rather PO'ed that the 3DS version has so many more events than the DVD-based Wii version.

mega

mega said:

man, why do sonic and mario have to shake hands and be freinds. i want the sega nintendo war again even though nintendo would probaly win