Super Mario Galaxy Director Said No to Kuribo's Shoe

Posted by James Newton

Not a wind-up

After Super Mario Bros. 3 it took the Tanooki tail years to make a resurgence, appearing in both Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7, but it's not the only retro power-up from the game overdue a revival.

IGN recently spoke to Super Mario 3D Land director Koichi Hayashida about the game and asked about the legendary Kuribo's shoe, one of the oddest power-ups in Mario's history. It turns out Hayashida actually wanted to bring the boot back in a recent plumbing outing:

Our team always considers bringing back elements of past outings. I myself proposed bringing back Kuribo's Shoe for Super Mario Galaxy, but tragically, my idea was rejected by the director, Mr. Koizumi.

We would much rather have had Kuribo's shoe than spring Mario, but those dreams were tragically denied.

What other past power-ups are ripe for a return?

[via uk.ds.ign.com]

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I think the Frog Suit is due for a comeback. Still, Kuribo's Shoe would've been better than the Spring Suit not just for nostalgic reasons, but also because it might have handled better. I wonder why Koizumi denied the idea?

CosmoXY

CosmoXY said:

I'd like to see it again someday, but it should serve a real gameplay purpose when it does reappear.

SLiM

SLiM said:

I think it's about time the Cape from Super Mario World came back. Maybe make one or two stages where free-flying doesn't allow you to go straight to the end of the level or easily complete an objective.

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

The Kuribo's Shoe would have been terribly out of place for Mario Galaxy. The Frog suit + Mario Galaxy phisics would have been awesome, though.

warioswoods

warioswoods said:

I love the spring suit. The shoe is great for nostalgia but harder to envision working in 3D.

To be honest, I thought for years that I'd love to see a tanooki revival, but after playing SM3DL I actually feel that the game is far more fun when I avoid the leaves at all costs. Fluttery jumps kill the challenge as well as the pacing; now that I've started avoiding them, I'm back to speedy platforming bliss.

ShellyDeKiller

ShellyDeKiller said:

There was enough Tanooki suit to compensate for the last 20 years of it being absent, so I hope that if it does come back, they don't make it the main focus. Besides, the Tanooki was overpowered as hell, so I can only imagine what the Kuribo's Shoe would do...

Linkuini

Linkuini said:

I keep hearing people whine about that spring. It's supposed to be a little unwieldy, get used to it! I enjoyed the rhythm it added to the action, myself.

It would probably take some imagination to make Kuribo's shoe work in 3D. A grid of those little plants (I forget what they're called) would look kinda silly and empty.

SunnySnivy

SunnySnivy said:

Frog Suit! I think it would be cool to see how they would make that work in a 3D environment.

GamerZack87

GamerZack87 said:

One power-up I'd like to see make a comeback in a Mario title is the Carrot. Not only could it help Mario jump higher and float, it could also help him see in an otherwise-pitch dark room.

As for Mario Kart, I'd love to see if the Garlic (from Wario Land) would work at all. It'd be hilarious to drive near an opponent and watch them spiral out of control due to the stench! :D
Though the illusion would be broken if Wario was negatively affected by it's...er...delightful musk...

Punny

Punny said:

I would love to see the return of the Cape Feather. Flying with it on in Super Mario World felt spectacular.

Kirk

Kirk said:

Yeah, a lot of the new suits were a bit crap in terms of their designs.

I would have taken Kuribo's Shoe over Bee Mario, Rock Mario and Spring Mario any day of the week.

It was cooler and had more personality than the three new ones combined.

Ron22

Ron22 said:

Frog Suit seems unnecessary. Mario swims now (in 3D) like he did with the Suit on back then. Add a Turtle Shell and the Frog Suit is useless. I would have preferred the Shoe over the spring, though.

Noire

Noire said:

Just make a Kuribo's Shoe game. The entire game you have the shoe and you can stomp on things and that's just it. I would play that. :O

Henmii

Henmii said:

"We would much rather have had Kuribo's shoe than spring Mario, but those dreams were tragically denied"

I am actually one of the few who loved Spring Mario! Sure it is tricky to handle, but that's part of the charm!

And Kuribo's shoe is back (sort of) in Kirby's adventure Wii. Though it would be fun to see it again in a future Mario title. Who knows!

Crunchy_in_milk

Crunchy_in_milk said:

I don't think Kuribo's shoe would've worked in Galaxy, but I would love to see it in New Super Mario Brothers Wii U!

komicturtle

komicturtle said:

lol I can imagine the Tanooki Tail in Smash Bros. It'd be hilarious to see Ganondorf, Captain Falcon and Snake with it.

Anyhow.. I'd like to see the frog suit as well as the Blue Shell that was seen in NSMB in a new Mario game. And that feather/cape.

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

The way Mario used to bounce in Kuribo's Shoe in SMB3 was hilarious to me. I couldn't help but go "boot, boot, boot, boot, boooot (as I jump), stomp (as I step on a spiny), boot, boot, boot" as I travel down the road... I miss those days... :D

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

Yeah, some of the classic power-ups are superior to some, err, actually most of the new ones, as far as I'm concerned.