Metroid II Returns to 3DS VC in Europe This Thursday

Posted by James Newton

Having a (morph) ball

Less than one week after Mario leapt to 3DS, galactic heroine Samus Aran is readying her first real appearance on the console as Metroid II: Return of Samus is confirmed for a European release on Thursday.

The Game Boy title hits the 3DS Virtual Console for £3.60/€4.00, in line with the premium pricing of other high-profile Nintendo releases. It might not be the most critically acclaimed of all Aran's adventures, but many will still relish the chance to catch up with her handheld outings in advance of the much-anticipated Ambassador releases later this year, which will see Metroid Fusion join the machine.

Update: The game is also confirmed for North America on the same date.

[via nintendo.co.uk]

SLiM

SLiM said:

I remember this always being near the top of the Game Boy charts in Nintendo Power. Definitely want to check it out one day.

shingi_70

shingi_70 said:

Was going to pick up Mario Land 2, but if this hits the U.S then i'm getting my metroid love on.

ennan

ennan said:

This was my first gameboy game (along with tetris)

Love this game. The last boss is awesome.

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

Not a big metroid fan, and I have the original NES version on my 3DS anyway, so I probably wont buy this unless it's really good.

StephenYap3

StephenYap3 said:

I personally didn't enjoy this game since I found it too easy and boring. So, I pass.

Unca_LzStaff

Unca_Lz said:

I heard from Nintendo that the ambassador games are coming before December 31st. Oh wait, it's not December 31st yet, therefore we should wait further :)

Also, bleh Metroid. Where's the Kid Icarus 3D game? :O

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

Despite not having a map, this game is more linear than the original Metroid. Return of Samus is sorta more like Meh-troid to me..... :

Tare

Tare said:

I'm surprised at how many people don't like Metroid 2.
It was the second game to come out; and despite being a gameboy, has one of the better story arcs in the franchise, next to super metroid and Fusion.

I'll probably get it when it comes out it NA. Soon I'll have 3 mmetroid games on my 3DS at any given time (4 if I have hunters in the game slot)

Scissors

Scissors said:

Ah man I was about to get all excited, but I live in North America. Oh well atleast this means it's almost here.

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

Yey. Will definitely pick this up, simply because I've never played it before.

ToxieDogg

ToxieDogg said:

Great game, well worth a download. Just a shame that you can't add Metroid-esque colours to it like you could with the Super Game Boy, Game Boy Color and Game Boy Advance. :( It is more linear than the original Metroid, but I've always found the original Metroid to be too open and very confusing to play with many areas looking identical and multiple exits all over the place with no map screen to refer to. Metroid 2 suits a handheld much better. :)

I-U

I-U said:

Better be confirmed for America. The wait already has been ridiculous considering most of the Metroid Series' fanbase is in NA based on sales.

Unca_LzStaff

Unca_Lz said:

I think it's coming to America. America's releases 3DS wise have been mostly the same as Europe's

Link79

Link79 said:

Hope this comes out in America soon following the Europe release.
I like it better than the original. It's one of my favorite Gameboy titles!

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

I'm a Hugh metriod fan however I could never get into this game with no back light! Now wit that problem solved I think I can enjoy this more. I always thought it was way to dark to enjoy!

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

This Metroid game is the only game in the entire series that I would love to see a remake of. With the GB limited palette, no map, and the large maze like Planet SR388, you would easily get lost in the game before you could reach the end.

RantingThespian

RantingThespian said:

@shingi_70 Yes, yes it does.

I played this game for hours, and absolutely loved it! At times it would creep me out. I was freaked out when I first saw the Metroid Queen. Of course I was only a kid then, but it was freaky to me at the time. IMO, this game is much better than the original. In Metroid 1, I die all the time, have no idea where I am going, and typically have no idea where I am in the game. Unless I have a printed map or a guide, I cannot for the life of me get through that game.

When I heard about the GB Virtual Console, I wanted 3 games: SML 2, SML 3 (Wario Land), and Metroid 2. I can't wait til this is released in the states!