3DS Heading for Bigger First Year Sales Than DS

Posted by James Newton

Picking up steam

After its well-publicised troubles earlier this year, the price drop and extra colours seem to be having the desired effect on Nintendo's 3DS, with the console's sales increasing at such a rate it could overtake the first-year sales of its predecessor, the Nintendo DS.

While an indication of the 3DS's improved sales, it's also a reminder that the DS itself got off to a reasonably slow start across North America before picking up enormous momentum with the DS Lite and high-profile releases. If the 3DS can build that momentum earlier in its lifespan, it may stand a chance of beating the DS family's enormous 150 million sales, though the jury's still out on that one.

Nintendo 3DS Poised to Surpass First-Year Sales of Nintendo DS

In its eighth month on the market, the Nintendo 3DS™ system crossed 1.65 million units sold in the U.S., according to the NPD Group, which tracks video game sales in the United States. This milestone puts the platform on track to surpass the first-year total of Nintendo DS™, the best-selling game platform in U.S. history.

The Nintendo DS system sold 2.37 million units in its first 12 months (November 2004-October 2005), with approximately 50 percent of those sales occurring in the holiday time frame. With its first holiday season and the launches of the Super Mario 3D Land™ and Mario Kart™ 7 games on the horizon, Nintendo 3DS is poised to eclipse that number and establish a new benchmark for hand-held gaming launches in the United States.

“With a massive lineup of software on the way and the first-year sales record of Nintendo DS in its sights, Nintendo 3DS enters its first holiday season with a full head of steam,” said Scott Moffitt, Nintendo of America’s executive vice president of Sales & Marketing.

Other Nintendo news from the month includes:

Nintendo sold more than 675,000 combined hardware units in October. This includes more than 250,000 units of Nintendo 3DS, nearly 250,000 Wii™ systems and nearly 180,000 units of the Nintendo DS family of systems.
For the year, Nintendo has sold a combined 7 million hardware units and more than 55 million units of software have been sold for Nintendo platforms. Both of these numbers should increase with the Nov. 20 launch of The Legend of Zelda™: Skyward Sword for Wii.

Both Wii, up 8 percent year over year, and Nintendo DS, up 23 percent over the previous month, demonstrated strong momentum heading into their respective sixth and eighth holiday seasons. In total, the two platforms have sold more than 87 million combined hardware units and more than 540 million combined units of software in the United States.

zezhyrule

zezhyrule said:

Yes, until the Vita comes out, at which point the 3DS sales will drop off a cliff...

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

throws rock at Zezzy
Anyways, yeah...kinda saw this coming...(especially since 3G was announced, lol)

SLiM

SLiM said:

I know I'm going to pick a 3DS up soon. I'm hoping Gamestop will have that Zelda 25th Anniversary bundle on Black Friday.

Joygame51

Joygame51 said:

I am a dyed in the wool DSXL user. The 3DS in my opinion is well, uesless to me. I did not buy a 3DS because the 3D function gives me nasty headaches PERIOD. I love my LARGER screens and fun Download software Dsi shop. Don't agree with me ? no prob enjoy your 3DS !! :)

AVahne

AVahne said:

@ zezzy
Then Monster Hunter 3G and 4 comes out in Japan. For 3DS.
At which point Vita will be PSP 2, without the Monster Hunter support. And that's seriously not a good thing for Sony in Japan.

If Nintendo wants even MORE sales, then release the Pink and White 3DSes over here already!

Ernest_The_Crab

Ernest_The_Crab said:

@Lohengriehn Most of your post is speculation. And yes selling Mario and Zelda over and over again would work. You have to ask yourself how many years has Nintendo been around and how many times they've already done that. Not to mention they own the Pokemon series.

There hasn't been any solid proof on the next Microsoft console coming out next year. In fact, based on their own software development cycle it is much more likely to happen in 2 to 3 years.

You talk about a loss of trust? I've used Windows Vista before, but I haven't suddenly switched to Apple operating systems (or Linux or Unix for that matter).

TheGreenSpiny

TheGreenSpiny said:

@16 TheSolarKnight: Lol. You should have ditched Windows and the 360 a long time ago. Don't know why anybody trusts M$ these days.

@ lohengreihn: How are Luigi, Animal Crossing, Tales of the Abyss, or Zen Pinball unique? They are all sequels/ports.

misswliu81

misswliu81 said:

really positive news for nintendo fans- good to see 3DS sales picking up and hopefully with mario kart, kid icarus and other 3rd party support, this should continue.

slashing the RRP was the right thing to do to push sales, whilst the idea of releasing different coloured 3DS's was a really good one and giving fans more variety. but it's all down to quality of the games.

the more of them, the better for the console .

Joko450

Joko450 said:

@Zezzy Almost like when the PSP came out, the DS sales dropped off a cliff, right? And then the PSP went on to dominate the DS in sales! Good times.

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

Untitled

Mario, you keep bumping those ? blocks! Your kart will drive it long, and then Pit and your brother Luigi will back you up!

Rensch

Rensch said:

It all depends on the games, which are promised to be coming along nicely starting this month.

ecco6t9

ecco6t9 said:

Strange you don't see certain blogs/newsites reporting this, I guess since it doesn't fit the Nintendo is Doomed agenda.

wanderlustwarrior

wanderlustwarrior said:

If ''only'' the 3DS had Steam, then I wouldn't have to be worried about a supported online system.

All kidding aside, this is pretty good news.

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

i've had my 3DS for over 2 weeks now and I have yet to get a single 3D game for it. But I am glad I finally bought it. I would have bought it day one but I didn't have the money then. On friday I will be getting my first three games for the 3DS but it has nothing to do with a lack of games I want. It has to do with the fact I don't have a lot of extra money floating around right now. I've never thought that Nintendo was DOOMED.

Hokori

Hokori said:

I knew the 3DS wasnt doomed :P people are so pathetic, I mean if my friends really want one (and they are 11th graders) then whats stopping everyone else.... seriously this whole NINTENDO WILL DIE crap needs to stop, everyone should shaddup about it

Henmii

Henmii said:

"3DS Heading for Bigger First Year Sales Than DS"

I don't see what's the problem then (with the exception of Nintendo getting less money for every 3DS sold since they lowered the price)! Things are looking up!

Drewroxsox

Drewroxsox said:

Hooray!! The 3ds is really starting to sell now. I think the only reason why it wasn't was because it cost $250 at launch, which got changed after a few months, didn't have any must have titles at launch, and it launched in march in America. But now with the major games starting to come out, system uppdate that will add video recording and other features, Christmas bundles, new colors, and affordability, this system will sell like hot cakes. And Sony fans thought the 3ds was doomed, when they really should be worried if the PSVita will sell because it missed 2011 holiday season. A lot of people didn't want to buy a 3ds for $250 so I'm guessing the sell numbers won't be too impressive for the Vita. The ds beat the psp so I think the 3ds will beat the vita. ( I'm not bashing I personally will be picking up a PSVita for my bday, but that'll be just to keep me busy until I get a Wii U for Christmas 2012 )

sikora360

sikora360 said:

The 3DS is the first DS i have ever bought. I love it cause its backward compatibility's and ZELDA will be coming soon for it. :D

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

After the Video Game Crash of 1938, people were highly skeptical of the NES. Nintendo's monochrome Game Boy completely dominated their colorful battery-eating competition in the 90s. When Nintendo released tne N64, people said they were doomed for not "selling out" to the disc. Nintendo actually turned more profit with a smaller market share as the underdog during the Game Cube days. The PS360 fanboys laughed when Nintendo unvieled the Wii. Even the Nintendo fanboys cried foul that the 3DS was doomed.

Let's face the facts, people: "Doomed" is derived from "Doom", which is a 4-letter word! :O

Now a major Mario title is released for the holidays, and the 3DS is selling like hotcakes, which is good news for me, because up until now, getting streetpass hits is like finding water in a desert.

Last month would have probably been a great time to buy Nintendo Stock, LOL! :D

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

I accepted the launch price of the 3DS mainly because of the 3D effect. If i wasn't interested in the 3D i would have gotten it after the price cut when it wasn't more expensive than the DSi back at its launch.
So yes, i'm with eveybody that thinks the price cut makes quite a difference in sales. :)

CowLaunch

CowLaunch said:

Good to hear, but if you refrained from buying a 3DS because the right colour wasn't available, then you're an idiot.

As Martin Luther King said, you should judge a console by the content of it's games, not by the their colour.

Jono97

Jono97 said:

Yeah, no I have a higher possibility of streetpass. But, I only have 2 street passes and 1 of them is my friend.

NintenHero

NintenHero said:

Lol, c'mon guys, we all know Nintendo is in a bad situation atm but lets all be loyal Nintendo fans and support our company. Though, I wish they would release NEW games... Mario has been stomping heads and Link has been slashing monsters for over 20 years now... it's all the same game basically :( but it's nice to hear the good news!

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

That's why I don't get why all the fuss when it's known a new console's launch ALWAYS sucks... no system really picks up steam until it's second year when the good software comes. Good games sell systems, it's as simple as that. NOW, if the 3DS doesn't take off from HERE, THEN we can say there's a real problem.

GlasS

GlasS said:

The 3ds isn't a handheld. It's more like a small computer. lol
Nice to know the 3ds (version 1.0, powered by Windows Vista, of course) is getting back on its feet, much like the company itself.
I look forward to feeling the warmth as the 3ds overheats, the buzz-whine-whir of the gyroscope, and the customizable screen savers kicking in when I purchase mine.
*The computer flotsam I spouted, while I partially suspect is true, is a load of moog.

Sam_Loser2

Sam_Loser2 said:

What's with all the doom? Most gamers don't buy just one system. I have a Wii and PS3, for Nintendo has the most exclusive games I want and I need the PS3 for heavy hitters like Portal 2 and Skyrim. So just because another Sony handheld is coming doesn't mean it or the 3DS is doomed.

SyFyTy

SyFyTy said:

As much as I am still in lust with the original DS(i), I hope this one actually does proportionatly better. This will probably be the last handheld I buy, but I can't imagine, what the next one will feature as 3d seems to be a pinacle of graphics,, maybe VR or stronger AR like the PS Vitas ;"VR fighters" or even Tetris 3d where it takes place on the table... but more fleshed out... unfortunately even HD would feel like a step back for me