Square Enix Officially Announces Heroes of Ruin 3DS

Posted by James Newton

Yes, it's real

Last week, developer n-Space leaked the first details of Heroes of Ruin, and now publisher Square Enix has made the game official.

The multiplayer action-RPG will make use of StreetPass to let players exchange and trade weapons, armour and useful items, with new challenges and rare items sent through SpotPass. Drop-in, drop-out co-operative play is included, though the official release doesn't specify whether this is online or local play.

Heroes of Ruin is due out early next year but will be shown off at E3 next week, so check back for more details then. The official site has a teaser trailer, too.

Square Enix announces Heroes of RuinTM for Nintendo 3DS

A brand new adventure featuring a line-up of unlikely heroes and deep social functionality

London (31 May, 2011) – Square Enix London Studios, part of Square Enix Europe, today announces HEROES OF RUIN, a brand new adventure featuring four unlikely heroes brought together to form a fearsome alliance. Custom-built for Nintendo 3DS™, with support for online play and a wealth of social gaming features, players will find a new experience awaits them every day.

“With HEROES OF RUIN we wanted to take the game experience beyond the confines of the console’s two screens,” said Lee Singleton, General Manager, Square Enix London Studios. “Nintendo 3DS’ online and social features allow us to do so much more than multiplayer, using both StreetPass™ and SpotPass™ to give players innovative ways of enhancing their experience.”

HEROES OF RUIN uses StreetPass to create an inventive in-game ‘Traders’ Network’ where players can buy and sell rare and powerful items picked up in battle. With an ever-changing inventory updated from each player passed in public, character strengths and abilities can be greatly enhanced through accessing items from other players’ games. Outside of the game, HEROES OF RUIN makes use of SpotPass to reward players with rare one-off items or unique challenges through local wi-fi hotspots. The official HEROES OF RUIN community website will reward players further with daily challenges and quests available to complete in-game. With social media functionality, the site will also give players a platform to meet other gamers, swap ideas and items and team-up in-game.

HEROES OF RUIN challenges players to carve their own adventure, joining forces with other heroes through seamless drop-in/drop-out co-op multiplayer or venturing forth alone. Players will enter an ever-changing world where danger waits around every corner. Heroes can explore and fight through wild, varied and dynamic environments, discovering new layouts and routes each time they play. Packed with strange and deadly creatures, these dangerous lands will stretch players’ combat and tactical skills as they enhance their character, collecting loot, weapons and armour to empower them on their quest.

HEROES OF RUIN will be playable at E3 on the Square Enix stand (South Hall, Booth 1647) and will be available in early 2012 for Nintendo 3DS. The game is not yet rated. For more information and updates, join the HEROES OF RUIN community at www.HeroesOfRuin.com.

NIN10DOXD

NIN10DOXD said:

This sounds awesome and using drop in drop out co-op isn't copying the LEGO games.

Samholy

Samholy said:

square-enix exclusive for 3DS ? instant-buy
rpg for 3ds? instant-buy.
deep use of streetpass,sport-pass,multiplayer on my 3Ds? instant-buy

this game is full of instant-buy features!

JayceJa

JayceJa said:

looks interesting, not on the top of the list of interest, but definitely enough to take a close look at closer to release

Yadoking

Yadoking said:

@JayceJa
Yeah, I feel pretty much the same. I'm not super interested, but anything on the 3DS right now is worth following up on, and this game could be cool.

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

Not my cup of tea. So far there hasn't been much 3rd party support that has interested me aside from RE: Revelations and Mega Man Legends 3(then again hehe).

Give us a new traditional Castlevania and Contra! :p

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

Its not as exciting as some of the other rpgs announced for the 3DS but i'll still keep an eye on it.

Expa0

Expa0 said:

This looks pretty bad, just like everything else made by SE recently.

zionich

zionich said:

Im trying not to get to overly excited tille I see some gameplay. The concept and company are pretty solid, but it all comes to how much love they put into it.

pixelman

pixelman said:

This looks awesome. It's really cool to finally see some new games showing up. :3

Guybrush

Guybrush said:

In this 3DS drought at the moment, any news of a game of this sort is welcome that takes advantage of the 3DS's unique abilities. Sounds like fun to me!

komicturtle

komicturtle said:

At least they aren't focusing it too much on "Stereoscopic 3D". Rather have the other robust features be the center point of this game that "Oh, look. Pop out 3D RPG!"

Can't wait to hear more on this.

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

I really REALLY want to look forward to this but the pro/con balance leaves me a bit skeptic.

Pros:
I always love it when companies can exploit the online of Nintendo's hardware no matter how flawed it is. This has been n-Space's strong suit as the CoD games have proven. Square Enix being the publisher only strengthens how good things will be from a strictly value standpoint.

Cons:
I haven't liked too many of n-Space's games to be honest and I've never played Geist. My favorites include Star Wars: TFU and the CoD series. Even then those were merely "good" games that you wouldn't regret playing as opposed to true must-haves. I kinda wish their original Wii titles (an FPS and a survival-horror game) weren't both cancelled so I'd have a better understanding of what this company is capable of.

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

...Is it similar to MH? ...wait is this an entirely new game? Or is it a sequel?...Or a port/remake? >_>

daznsaz

daznsaz said:

i think its the 1st brand new original rpg for 3ds might be 1 coming from the people who did opoona too not sure remember seeing something ages ago

HandheldGuru97

HandheldGuru97 said:

Finally! Some thing from Square-Enix shows up! I am going to get this as long as there is a Square-Enix game in my 3DS I will be happy.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

Wow I finally have a reason to eventually buy a 3DS. This looks promising.

Considering it's Square Enix though, there will be a delay until fall of 2012 so maybe that's when I'll get a 3DS. Hopefully it will see either a price cut or a revision buy then.

daznsaz

daznsaz said:

ive heard they will have there own site for players to meet up organize fights etc

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

Pass. I don't need another StreetPass-based RPG to do alone. One of those came built into the 3DS. Just bring me my Final Fantasy V 3DS remake, Squeenix!